Electric Vehicles etc

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I sort of agree, but without a widespread, multi-outlet charging network in place EVs will remain a somewhat niche product here.
oh of course, but you could have a charger on every corner and the price to play is still out of reach for most people is where i was coming from. More chargers, cheaper options needed, good education and guaranteed second hand long term viability required.

Do you think that the Charger infrastructure is lagging because there's other tech on the horizon? Sort of like a VHS/BETAMAX or HDDVD/Blueray scenario brewing?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
they get a mention in the tesla forums already countered by a case that the sort of people who unplug your car aren't going to be careful about it.

I believe tesla already charge an idle time fee to encourage people to move from the charger once done, but there is also a debate about people in EV's who park in the spots when not charging. claiming they are EV parking spots. All these tales seem to be from california where EV numbers and chjarging stations are way ahead of what we have.
wireless charging! install it underneath every parking spot. Right next to the wireless sensors for all the parking timers that alers ticket inspectors lol

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
oh of course, but you could have a charger on every corner and the price to play is still out of reach for most people is where i was coming from. More chargers, cheaper options needed, good education and guaranteed second hand long term viability required.

Do you think that the Charger infrastructure is lagging because there's other tech on the horizon? Sort of like a VHS/BETAMAX or HDDVD/Blueray scenario brewing?
No its lagging because its a spiral ie more EVs > more chargers >more EVs and its Australia .
The main quandry is CCS V Chademo I think CCS will win but there will be adapters.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Not really. Seems like Hydrogen will end up being the norm for heavy vehicle longhaul applications judging from noises within the industry, but local medium/heavy delivery vehicles and passenger vehicles all seem to be pushing toward EVs. I’ll be interested to see how viable green fuels become in future, if they come online in a major fashion it could split the market, but (just IMO) I don’t see EVs dying off.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Going to be really interesting how the long term manufacturer support and parts availability fares with the Chinese manufacturers.

I really hope it's something they can get on top of.

Personally I'd be happy enough with something Corolla/i30 sized (ideally a small wagon body variant) rather than the slew of large sedan/SUVs currently being developed. They're already somewhat available in OS markets, but due to the lack of tax exemptions reducing demand here it'll be several years (at a guess) until we see them on local shores...
Chinese carmakers are Hyundai 2.0 in the Australian market. China is going to completely dominate the automotive industry in coming decades - finding parts for some things like General Motors products might get tricky though ;)

beeb

Chinese carmakers are Hyundai 2.0 in the Australian market. China is going to completely dominate the automotive industry in coming decades - finding parts for some things like General Motors products might get tricky though ;)
In coming years/decades, absolutely - but they're not quite there yet. Getting parts for them currently is a PITA. They do a production run, make a tiny handful of spares, and then retool to build something else and everything just becomes NLA. Which isn't really legal in Aus with the minimum 10 year serviceability requirements.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
In coming years/decades, absolutely - but they're not quite there yet. Getting parts for them currently is a PITA. They do a production run, make a tiny handful of spares, and then retool to build something else and everything just becomes NLA. Which isn't really legal in Aus with the minimum 10 year serviceability requirements.
I would say BYD are deadly serious about cracking the international market and I would personally take the gamble. Worst case is you end up buying parts online from China.

I've been running cars for years with parts coming from OS, and its fine.

beeb

I've been running cars for years with parts coming from OS, and its fine.
...if you want to/know how to work on your own vehicles, and (depending on the component) have high-voltage/EV certification and experience.

Cue 'Forged in Fire', Doug Marcaida "It will keal!"

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I would say BYD are deadly serious about cracking the international market and I would personally take the gamble.
I was sceptical at first given they were trying to launch in collab via mycar (typical chinese mentality savings costs lol!). Looks like they are taking it a bit more seriously and investing in some showrooms now though.

The BYD Atto and price point appeals for me, but unlike some of the early adopters here, I refuse to buy anything first gen even if all the indicators are good.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Once again, most want everything the way it is (cheap, easy) without the CO2. Sigh.

Make petrol $5 a litre and we won't be having comments like I need 500km range or EV's are just too expensive.

The charging infrastructure is a problem, but one that can be easily addressed.

A 'slow' EV is still going to accelerate well compared to the average ICE vehicle.
Yep, the old Leaf will stick with something like a Golf GTI off the line and maybe until you're across the intersection.

In 13 years you wont be able to buy a new ICE car in the ACT. Theres still a way to go after that to decommission their use fully.
Who will actually want an ICE car in 13 years, will they still exist?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Once again, most want everything the way it is (cheap, easy) without the CO2. Sigh.

Make petrol $5 a litre and we won't be having comments like I need 500km range or EV's are just too expensive.

Yep, the old Leaf will stick with something like a Golf GTI off the line and maybe until you're across the intersection.

Who will actually want an ICE car in 13 years, will they still exist?
Will we even exist in 13 years?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
That's great, I don't disagree with the sentiment, but what are those who don't have the infrastructure support supposed to do in the meantime? Slaughter our own cows? There's a small city worth of people in satellite towns around just my area that have a 200km round trip get to a decent supermarket, let alone medical, dental, mental health etc.

I haven't piped up yet because @beeb has covered most of the points I need to make.

Not when the government believes Victoria finishes at the Bendigo Town Border.

beeb

That's great, I don't disagree with the sentiment, but what are those who don't have the infrastructure support supposed to do in the meantime? Slaughter our own cows? There's a small city worth of people in satellite towns around just my area that have a 200km round trip get to a decent supermarket.

I haven't piped up yet because @beeb has covered most of the points I need to make.

Not when the government believes Victoria finishes at the Bendigo Town Border.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
That's great, I don't disagree with the sentiment, but what are those who don't have the infrastructure support supposed to do in the meantime? Slaughter our own cows? There's a small city worth of people in satellite towns around just my area that have a 200km round trip get to a decent supermarket, let alone medical, dental, mental health etc.
I completely disagree with it ! I know people who are struggling to pay for fuel now, struggling to pay rent, struggling to eat, send their kids to school and have never had a car that was worth more than $5-10k... never mind a new vehicle.

Why anyone would wish a price increase of something so essential to peoples lives is beyond me.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Don't forget how energy is currently generated and the threat of rolling blackouts recently. I don't think it's easily addressed. There's a larger issue to solve for.

First step imo shlould be to make rooftop solar compulsory for every dwelling before making evs compulsory