Eliot Jackson Launches Grow Cycling Foundation to Promote Diversity in Cycling

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just saw this on Pinkbike. Good on Eliot Jackson for spreading the love.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/eliot-j...undation-to-promote-diversity-in-cycling.html

My own observation is that mtb in Australia is overwhelmingly white, male and increasingly middle aged.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I'm with you on this. It's not a criticism of the sport / activity, more an observation. I've certainly not seen any discrimination or sideways looks at anyone outside of the stereotype in MTB. No idea about road which can be altogether different.

At the end of it all, folks just like riding bikes.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm with you on this. It's not a criticism of the sport / activity, more an observation. I've certainly not seen any discrimination or sideways looks at anyone outside of the stereotype in MTB. No idea about road which can be altogether different.

At the end of it all, folks just like riding bikes.
I've never seen any discrimination either, but it would be nice to see more girls/women and colourful faces.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Funnily enough, the 2018 censuses had the country at 51% female...:)

Being serious though, it certainly does appear male dominated at most of the places/times I ride. Or if there's female riders they are usually with a male partner. I don't see the groups of females that you do with males. I can only recall one time when I've seen a woman riding single-track on her own.
It would be interesting to hear the reasons why there's not more female participation.

From an mtb POV I've never seen anything that seemed untoward, but have read comments and seen behaviour on the road side of things that wasn't pleasant.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

Being serious though, it certainly does appear male dominated at most of the places/times I ride. Or if there's female riders they are usually with a male partner. I don't see the groups of females that you do with males. I can only recall one time when I've seen a woman riding single-track on her own.
It would be interesting to hear the reasons why there's not more female participation.

From an mtb POV I've never seen anything that seemed untoward, but have read comments and seen behaviour on the road side of things that wasn't pleasant.
was a regular womens mtb group I used to see a fair bit on group rides in the RNP.

All middle aged and white though.

It’s a sport that hurts, and requires money. And is nerdy. Those three things are the largest factors I think in why it’s old dudes are the largest market segment.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt

There are some regular female groups that ride in Perth, at least that's what it looks like on facebook, they are probably too fast for me :)

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was a regular womens mtb group I used to see a fair bit on group rides in the RNP.

It’s a sport that hurts, and requires money. And is nerdy. Those three things are the largest factors I think in why it’s old dudes are the largest market segment.
Money and need to travel (for many) likely plays a big part.
Dirty and time consuming may be others.
Other than initial outlay it is a sport that can be done on the cheap so there's no reason not to see more diversity. Which means its probably lack of interest, a feeling of lack of skill, or a feeling you'll be excluded.

There's a large group of Malaysian guys who are often out at the Youies when I am, but once again no females

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I really don't get this promote diversity thing. Unless you can see some gaping problem as to why black dudes, women or gays don't take up mtb then who gives a crap?

The reason why most MTBrs are middle aged white dudes is because of the reasons mentioned above. Bike prices going up and geoblocking are probably going to be the biggest barriers to anyone not white, middle aged and male. Females generally do not care for the techy stuff and so it gets expensive for someone to do the servicing for them. Young folks have no money so they are out. As to white guys, no idea. Maybe it's because mtb costs money and those that can afford it generally are in predominantly white countries? I mean you won't see a nigerian/burmese mtb susperstar mainly because the cost barrier is there. On that note though, I rekon Indonesians have a disproportionate representation at lysty and a lot of asian riders seem to associate as MTBrs but don't ride that much.

Bottom line if you want to make mtb more inclusive, make it cheaper!

On a similar note I remember doing the chairlift at Auckland and there were HEAPS of women on DH bikes sending it hard while in their cafe uniforms - presumably getting in some runs on a lunch break. I think in Aus, at least, it's just a matter of a little bit too hard so it only really attracts the extremes.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
It would be nice to see more ethnic diversity coming into MTB.
Representation does play a key part in participation.
Some groups do feel secluded in Australia and it takes little bridges like the MTB'ing community saying, hey we WANT you to come ride with us, to add to that feeling of inclusion.

I don't see how this is anything but a good thing for everyone.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
This is only my experience, but if a 40yo white bloke like me who has been riding since 6yo can feel unsure about being good enough to join a predominately white male club, then I can only imagine how someone who is brand new to the sport can be totally intimidated. Then add the layers of different genders/races/cultures and it's a major roadblock.

It's a valid point that people have to choose to ride in the first place, but a no-bias club culture sure won't hurt.

moorey

call me Mia

The Vic DH series only ran Elite women up until the last season, and then ran sport for the first time. There’s been a good turnout of younger women, but still no junior classes. Girls aren’t going to flock to the sport if it don’t cater for them.
Both DH and Enduro are swamped by youngsters in numbers I’ve never seen, but still 99% Caucasian and 97% male.
Big fan of Elliot, good on him. Very soon, ‘white’ is due to be less than 50% in the USA demographic, but the diversity certainly isn’t there in Mtb.

Last edited: