Elixir 5 Brake Bleed

noel0409

Likes Bikes
Howdy all, I'm trying to bleed my brakes followed everything in the avid guide and youtube videos but can't get any fluid to go through from bottom to top or the other way. Tried all handle positions as in the guides and backed the adjuster completely and then reset it at 80mm from center of the bar still no go. Is there something stuck inside the handle end or am I doing something wrong????
Thanks Noel

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you tried pulling on the lever syringe at the same time as pushing at the calliper? Also check the hose clamp isn't on.

If these are 2010-2011 elixir 5's, i would consider throwing them in the bin before you waste too much time with them. I've had an awful time with a set trying to bleed them, mystery air pockets that i couldn't get rid of, sticky pistons, other problems like when taking out the syringe heaps of fluid would come out the bleed port. Next to impossible to get a consistent bleed, well if was for me.

ming

Likes Bikes
The most common cause of this is attaching the top syringe to the wrong lever, eg rear calliper and right (front) lever...

If you push the syringe really hard, you can something to give and get the DOT fluid everywhere !

noel0409

Likes Bikes
The most common cause of this is attaching the top syringe to the wrong lever, eg rear calliper and right (front) lever...

If you push the syringe really hard, you can something to give and get the DOT fluid everywhere !
Anyone who couldn't figure out which was the correct lever for the caliper shouldn't be stuffing around with the bike at all just pay the guy to do it

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What bleed utensils are you using? Generic, Avid, Avid 'pro' kit with screw in fittings?

It sounds like there could be some blockage if the obvious is done and the syringes are attached to both MC and caliper.

Can you try to isolate if you're issue is at the MC or the caliper e.g. pump fluid from the syringe attached to the MC (lever wide open) to push the pads without a bleed block in place, or simultaneously pull the lever and pull the syringe on teh caliper bleed nip to extract fluid from the system via the caliper with bleed blocks in place.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Do the brakes work? Does the piston move when the lever is squeezed?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha ha, I've said before sh1t gets weird in the wee hours. From memory was working on the wrong set of brakes (bike) as well. ha ha ha.

noel0409

Likes Bikes
all sorted took the line off and blew it out with the compressor etc and got it all done, brakes are good again, thanks for the replies folks