EMtb’s to feature in National championships

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like the idea of e-mtbs but rrreeeeaaaaalllllyyyy dont get the point of having e-mtb races.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To be fair, there does seem to be an element of technique to riding one quickly on undulating terrain.
I watched some kind of Ebike challenge and an old dude wiped the floor with a fitter younger guy by regulating his power to keep the bikes sweet spot rather than over powering it on the uphill,flats etc.

Still a dumb idea!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
^^^^marketing
Sad isn't it.
I get the industry has run out of wheel sizes and new BB standards to sell us for the time being, but is flogging (electric) motorbikes really the way forward for them?

At least they're a seperate event right? I don't object to that and I can snicker about it without danger of it effecting me. Not a huge fan of finding them in my xc race though, kinda demoralising having them blast past up a hill while I'm struggling to find enough oxygen to climb.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Policing them will be hard, say the category is limited to 200W and 10Ah. Easy to rewire motors and repack batteries and cheat without it looking any different. Tricky.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Policing them will be hard, say the category is limited to 200W and 10Ah. Easy to rewire motors and repack batteries and cheat without it looking any different. Tricky.
I'm assuming that you could use telemetry or data logging of battery terminals to check power usage.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Not a huge fan of finding them in my xc race though, kinda demoralising having them blast past up a hill while I'm struggling to find enough oxygen to climb.
They had this at the last Mont; e-Bikes in their own category but on course with the rest of us.

These dudes were powering up the hills like they weren't even there, sitting down and chatting. No way could I have kept up, even standing and mashing.

Really do not see the point of this being a race category.

Marketing.

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
What is surprising is you can download a app, connect to another racers bike, turn all his power settings down, and blast past him right from the start. You could even get your mate to do it from the spectating sideline.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
It could be a case of racing improving the technology, but no, definitely marketing.

The races need to be twice as long. You either use all the battery and have to actually be fit, or ride so slow to conserve battery everyone gets bored.

Third option is change bikes halfway, Formula E style.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm totally fine with ebikes but I can't believe they are handing out national colours and rainbow stripes for ebike racing! Quite funny after all the rumours about motorised bikes at the Tour etc.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Seperate category? Who gives a shit.

Are MX racers lazy too?
Edit for clarity: If the point of having an ebike category is to encourage people who otherwise would not race due to physical limitations then throwing them in with able bodied people defeats the purpose. Especially if the able bodied do it just to smash someone else not ebiking.

If you don't have shits to give then feel free not to post in here.

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Is this a better way to say it dales?

What does a seperate category in a mtb race do to affect you? They aren’t competing against you. It won’t effect your placings, and won’t hold you up any more than johnny new guy on his $500 beater wearing a fullface at an xc event will be.

You feel bad when they pass you uphill? That’s in your head. They have a motor, of course they’re going to pass you.

E-bikes aren’t as bad as the forced redundancy we normally cop. They aren’t changing hub standards or introducing shitty bb’s or slightly larger bar diameter.