EMtb’s to feature in National championships

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Anyone that thinks they should be allowed to ride an Ebike in a mtb event should perish the thought and take their Ebike to an mx event or moto enduro.

That's where they belong. If that doesn't sound like fun then you know how cyclists feel about you and your Ebike gate crashing a human powered event.

bikie

Rock Bottom
Not sure how I contradicted myself? Must just be that dumb stubborn elitist MTB attitude getting in the way of clarity. In any case I'm sure you get the point right? There's a reason we usually don't have motorised devices alongside muscle power only in competituve events - the playing field is skewed, it's no longer even or competitive. And it goes well beyond the difference between a pro and a weekend warrior.

And I didn't say (or mean) they don't test endurance, of course they do. it's just different and requires either a lot more riding or a different kind of riding to be tuckered on the same level. I've been a moto rider, I'm not blind to it, it's just not even remotely close to the same thing.

It's already been pointed out, riders will vote with their feet. For every ebike (motorised bicycle, or motorbike) that enters, events might lose 5 non-pro peddlers because the event just isn't that important to them. The pros will all still go because they have to, but the field will thin. Event organisers will either see this and go back, or decide it's worth losing a few riders to keep sponsors happy. It'll all sort itself out in the end, and I won't be losing any sleep over it.

For what it's worth, I'm only talking about xc or marathon events. I'm happy the share the field in enduro or dh where riders head down one at a time, can't see how that would impact anyone if they're categorised.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
You said noobs are fine then said they're annoying.

Anyway, I agree with you for the most part. Ebikes racing mtbs is silly but that's not what we're talking about here.. We're talking about ebikes being able to run their own category and races at mtb events with the odd race being mixed such as enduro to save time (what's the difference between getting a chairlift or shuttle in those races BTW?). Stuff xc. Majority of people I know buy ebikes for the downs not the ups.

Honda and Kawasaki made MTBs for a while too, it doesn't really mean a thing in this matter and you're contradicting yourself, if these e bikes are so big and popular why don't they race under their own organisation instead of trying to hop on the back of mountain biking events.

I'll still dumbfounded how MTBA can include them in any sort of race without inspecting the bikes or scrutinising them, like any other motorsport event there are rules and an organisation that govern modifications and safety. They also cover rules for equal competitiveness in most category of races. Any fat slob can hop on an e bike that's been modified to go faster and annihilate someone that has trained, lost weight and is running a bog stock standard e bike and this sort of crap is not mountain biking to me.
Yeah there needs to be testing and scrutinised inspections for sure. Or they could check their tracked gps in climb sections. If they're doing 40km where most are doing less than 20km then clearly something would be up.. On the downs there's no difference. The other thing would be battery usage. If you're in constant boost going up hill at 40km then you're not going to be racing for long.

Honda and other moto brands aren't mtb brands so I don't think you understand what I'm saying.. Ebikes are being included in mtb events because they're mtb's with assist, designed to ride the exact same tracks. All the major sponsors who fund the events are making ebikes due to their popularity. Pros are using them for fun and training. Regular people are using them to privatise shuttles and enjoy being on a bike vs sit in a stinking bus. Noobs are taking up the sport and getting out doors more often. Jobs are being created. What else do you want??

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
You said noobs are fine then said they're annoying.

Anyway, I agree with you for the most part. Ebikes racing mtbs is silly but that's not what we're talking about here.. We're talking about ebikes being able to run their own category and races at mtb events with the odd race being mixed such as enduro to save time (what's the difference between getting a chairlift or shuttle in those races BTW?). Stuff xc. Majority of people I know buy ebikes for the downs not the ups.
Yeah nah, I'm pretty sure I made a distinction between noobs on a MTB and noobs on a motorbike. One gets supported and encouraged to keep at it, the other gets dirty looks at best. I can pass a noob on a MTB when it opens up or on a hill climb, I can't pass a noob on an ebike in the same situation. The equipment might look alike, but it's chalk and cheese.

There are plenty of xc/marathon events that are trying to open the doors to ebikes, this is what Ive encountered and object to. I can't see a single issue with Ebikes running their own events (which I thought I said was peachy from the get go?). And adding them to events where it won't impact MTB riders, can't see an issue there either.

When push comes to shove it's probably just jealousy. I'll admit I've looked at those ebikes with envy at the pointy end of a 3hr ride in the sun

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Management were made aware???

Don't they have eyes???
It’s a mass start, and a shitfight to get it all running....but does make you wonder.
I’m guessing there was an ebike class....hense the bike didn’t raise eyebrows....but he entered a non ebike class. Those under 40’s men are shifty cusses.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It’s a mass start, and a shitfight to get it all running....but does make you wonder.
I’m guessing there was an ebike class....hense the bike didn’t raise eyebrows....but he entered a non ebike class. Those under 40’s men are shifty cusses.
The post said there wasn’t an ebike category.. Sounds like old mate just decided to cheat, he has the bike handling skills/experience to finish first so it’s hard to believe he didn’t know he was in the wrong..

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The post said there wasn’t an ebike category.. Sounds like old mate just decided to cheat, he has the bike handling skills/experience to finish first so it’s hard to believe he didn’t know he was in the wrong..
ebike replacing doping by the sounds of it, only side effect soft belly.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What I find amazing is that the ebike only won by 13 secs. I wonder if it was a proper e-mtb or just a small motor like what they use in road cycling frames.

moorey

call me Mia
What I find amazing is that the ebike only won by 13 secs. I wonder if it was a proper e-mtb or just a small motor like what they use in road cycling frames.
You’re forgetting that the AVERAGE ebiker is a Gumby.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I can't get over how huge ebikes are in Germany. I'm in Bavaria at the moment at they would outnumber normal bikes now about 5 to 1. It is clearly big business.

This means the manufacturers will be keen to put their key riders on ebikes to push sales.

Also Ebike racing will be more entertaining to watch than normal human powered racing. Just compare a wc xc race with an mx race.

It's very sad, but the future of mtb racing is probably Ebike racing.