Entries Open for 2011 24 Scott 24Hr - 8 & 9 October 2011 at Stromlo

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there any risk of the Solo category selling out?

P.S. Why did the age categories have to disappear - its sooo much easier to top 10 in a category with only 10 people in it - it means we all get to feel faster!

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Teams 40+, Overall Solos and Answers to Life, the Universe and Everything

Any answer to the query re Teams 40+? Has the average age of the team been ditched? :(
No - it is the average age of the riders on 8 Oct 2011, with decimals of years taken into account (so I would contribute 55.76 years to my team total, not just 55). Still trying to work out a way around this on the MTBA entry system, but if you qualify based on this average but are being refused online entry to the 40+, then enter the normal category and I will adjust your entry to the 40+ when the entry data is downloaded.

The Teams 40+ categories apply only to Teams of 4 and 6.

If one were to enter 40+, can you still podium in overall solo (or is there no overall, only open)? I know Anti_Trainer would be hoping the same for SS being able to overall pody. Just wanna make sure I enter the right cat. Ta Russ!
For Solos:
The "Elite" will be an Open or Overall Solo category. Prizes will be cumulative too. So, for example:

. Rider A comes 1st in Solo M 40+ and in a laps/time that would see him place 7th overall in Solos. He gets 2nd prize in Solo M 40+ plus 7th prize in Open Solo.

This cross-placing only works from 40+ or Single Speed into the Open category. Not between Single Speed and 40+

This means that, in theory, a 40+ or Single Speed rider could take out the overall Solo title.

Is there any risk of the Solo category selling out?
No. But the earlier you enter, the easier it is for CORC to plan for the race.

Why did the age categories have to disappear - its sooo much easier to top 10 in a category with only 10 people in it - it means we all get to feel faster!
Because it was too easy to top 10 in a category with only 10 people in it. (And those categories are only for the Easter Solo-Only Champs and World Solo Champs.)

Last edited:

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Do you know when the website will be updated? I want to post it on my website, but it still says 2010...

Cheers

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Because it was too easy to top 10 in a category with only 10 people in it. (And those categories are only for the Easter Solo-Only Champs and World Solo Champs.)[/QUOTE]

With the exception of 50+ men who only have one category up to 60 at Easter, as opposed to 5 year age gaps for other categories.:cool:

Quick few q's

How is it decided who starts on what colour lap?
Or does everyone start on the same colour lap?

Thanks

frensham

Likes Dirt
No single speed teams categories though?
I think if we have a single speed category then we should have an 8 speed, 9 speed and even 10 speed category.

Next we'll be expecting a 29er category. How about a 'my bike cost less than $2000' category? or a 'my bike weighs more than 9kg' category, better still how about a hardtail category and a dual suspension category?

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Some More Answers

How is it decided who starts on what colour lap? Or does everyone start on the same colour lap?
The organisers decide that - and everyone in a category has to start on the same lap - you can't have some teams of 6 men, for example, starting on blue and some on red.

I think last time it was solos on one lap and all teams on the other...
That was for the 2010 race when it was the world solo champs, and they had their own separate course for the whole race. The Red/Blue lap HourGlass concept means that you start the race on one colour lap, but you then alternate throughout the race.

Pretty sure it was 1,2,3 teams one one lap and 4,5,6 teams on the other ...
Nope, in 2008 (the last time we did the HourGlass course) it was:
. Blue Lap Start - Solos, 6's
. Red Lap Start - Teams of 2, 3, 4, 8, 10
4's and 6's are the two massive category groups so you have to split them up. That mix gave about the same number of riders-on-track for each lap at the start. All the rider plates had a colour patch on them to remind the first rider :)

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
The scott 24 hr is just like a good meal. You cook all day for it & its eaten in 15 min. LOL

I'm looking at the Scott website. Getting totally exited just looking at 3 pathetic pictures. of the transition & the potential red & blue 2 hr glasses track. While the State of origin is on. And its still 4 mths away. Most of us have started preparing for it.
When it finally gets here......I'll be sooo exited & it will be over in 3 days....

I need to get a life.

Age groupers go on strike - all solos go on strike - more pay

Quote Originally Posted by Australia View Post
Why did the age categories have to disappear - its sooo much easier to top 10 in a category with only 10 people in it - it means we all get to feel faster!
Because it was too easy to top 10 in a category with only 10 people in it. (And those categories are only for the Easter Solo-Only Champs and World Solo Champs.)
Solo 24 hour cannot grow unless there is some leadership and set categories.
Doh what an idiotic comment "easy to top ten if there are only ten" must have take lots of brains to work that one out. Mindless .......... basically it is about meaness and the worry about $$$$$$$$, if you want the sport to grow reward the entrants - even if it is only their ego. Scott 24 hour profiut $70,000 + and they can't recognise a few more age categories? Heck the crap "prizes" (cheap) last October mean there should be heaps of $$$$ available. Did Stuart take all the $$ and run?

It is a case of don't let the teams 24 riders subsidise ($$$$) the solo riders. Yep look at the 24 heroes.....they are the solos........ name one team of any number who are heroes as that team? Sure the team riders are sensational mountain bikers BUT 24 hours are built around solo riders - you know those Aussies guys and gals who have been on the podiums. So now we forget what they have done? MTBA tried this and the got canned ...... now chief grand poobar of MTBA has not learned from that debacle.

The age group riders make the faster solos look good. Take a look at the WSC 24 how how many age groupers from Aust were there? And might I suggest that many more would have raced if the did not have to qualify?

This event needs to fill in for the pathetic WSC follow up from 2010................ zip, nothing happening - benefit everone keeps their "titles' for another year.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Solo 24 hour cannot grow unless there is some leadership and set categories.
Doh what an idiotic comment "easy to top ten if there are only ten" must have take lots of brains to work that one out. Mindless .......... basically it is about meaness and the worry about $$$$$$$$, if you want the sport to grow reward the entrants - even if it is only their ego. Scott 24 hour profiut $70,000 + and they can't recognise a few more age categories? Heck the crap "prizes" (cheap) last October mean there should be heaps of $$$$ available. Did Stuart take all the $$ and run?

It is a case of don't let the teams 24 riders subsidise ($$$$) the solo riders. Yep look at the 24 heroes.....they are the solos........ name one team of any number who are heroes as that team? Sure the team riders are sensational mountain bikers BUT 24 hours are built around solo riders - you know those Aussies guys and gals who have been on the podiums. So now we forget what they have done? MTBA tried this and the got canned ...... now chief grand poobar of MTBA has not learned from that debacle.

The age group riders make the faster solos look good. Take a look at the WSC 24 how how many age groupers from Aust were there? And might I suggest that many more would have raced if the did not have to qualify?

This event needs to fill in for the pathetic WSC follow up from 2010................ zip, nothing happening - benefit everone keeps their "titles' for another year.
I agree with some of the things you have said although you could of stated it in a more diplomatic manner. About as subtle as a rhinoceros horn up the backside!

Age groupers go on strike - all solos go on strike - more pay

Subtly? apologies not my greatest asset - idiocy is easy for me.
I just reckon that things worked ace last October why change it? I never know what age or category I'm in, apast from the permanently unsubtle idiot clas (no class).
Take a leap fprward in 2010 and follow it up with a retreat back wards to nowhere. These are the best MTB brains in the country? CORC and MTBA honchos - the little 20 member club race really has 100 categories just in case any one turns up - its about being inclusive, encouraging and friendly - damn these events are for Olympians and sheep stations?

Last edited:

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Really, I cant tell what TotalIdiot is saying
I think the main point is the emphasis in 24s on the teams(esp the 4s) rather than the solo's. I guess looking at it from the other point of view, 24 racing grew as a teams race first and evolved into a solo category for the nutters. It would be nice to see it as a solo race first, teams race second. I know which one is harder and deserves more reward and recognition.