Entry level gravel grinder

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Also came across this bike today scott speedster gravel 20 - currently 20% off which brings it down to $1500

View attachment 338096
we have some of these, pretty sure we have a ex-demo at 25 or 30% off too, and a bunch of CX versions and some GT Grades @ 20% off.

So many strong choices, the focus offers some of the best bang I've come across, hard to compete against!

beardi

Likes Dirt
New Diverge gets released today. Germans have already got them up https://www.specialized.com/de/de/men/bikes/road/performance/diverge

I think the Aus Spez dealers might have them on floor today, but webpage/prices haven't been updated as yet.
They're up in Aus now. As a current diverge owner i'll be in no hurry to upgrade. Horrendous value IMO. 4K and it weights nearly 10kg. Sneakily they've used a lesser grade of carbon this year as well. Then there's that crazy stack height with the future shock, like riding a step through. Plenty of other options out there these days.

Beej1

Then there's that crazy stack height with the future shock ...
I had to see it with my own eyes.

This line in one review really stood out: The Diverge uses a progressive spring that gradually gets stiffer through the full range of its travel.

They're talking about spring rate curves over less than an inch of travel. Could someone really even notice that?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have ridden heaps of these bikes and depending on how rough and steep the gravel really is , they are better with straight bars with brake levers mtbike style.
better control and when its steep you want to push your weight back which is difficult w roadbike type brakes.
Just sayin' I know the other is more fashionable.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I have ridden heaps of these bikes and depending on how rough and steep the gravel really is , they are better with straight bars with brake levers mtbike style.
better control and when its steep you want to push your weight back which is difficult w roadbike type brakes.
Just sayin' I know the other is more fashionable.
Completely agree. 90% of the gravel focussed rides in my area are faster and more fun of the mtb than the CX rig ... But there is something fun about the drop bars and skinny tyres.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Picked up the Bombtrack Arise this evening. Off to Melbourne in the morning so won't get to ride it until Sat, but it looks like a lot of fun though!

I've got a steel HT 29er already, so think I should be covered for all bases now when it comes to gravel :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Look good ! Does it have a hanger and cable mounts to run a rear derailleur if needed ?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Reckon the Arise uses Paragon Machine Works sliding drop outs. If yes (and I can help figure that out) then there is a tonne of adaptability there. You can even go 142 mm thru axle with a direct mount Shimano derailleur.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
IMG_1917.jpg

Had a couple of short rides yesterday and today. Such a smooth sailing bike. Will definitely get my legs stronger!

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Completely agree. 90% of the gravel focussed rides in my area are faster and more fun of the mtb than the CX rig ... But there is something fun about the drop bars and skinny tyres.

you can still have 28/32/35 mm tyres or whatever for excitement and speed