Entry level up-and-downy questions...

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I'm helping a mate buy his first dually.
I've offered all kinds of options....but it looks like he's gonna pull the trigger on either a Sight A2 (Fox) or a Remedy 7 (RockShox).
He comes from an MX back ground and he can ride pretty hard/fast already.
I think I'm gonna push him towards the Remedy, but want to know as much as I can about the suspension differences.

Does anyone know much about the Fox Rhythm 36 OEM forks?
Is the GRIP damper a cheap & nasty open bath jobbie, an older sealed bladder type?....or some kind of mysterious hybrid?

Is the Remedy's non-charger Yari a better thing? I know it can be easily upgraded...

Rear shocks are RS Deluxe vs Performance Float EVOL....which seems like a direct match-up in the product lines.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The Grip is an open bath copy of the Avalanche is is very good. The Yari is terrible but a good chassis donor for an Avalanche.

Super deluxe is better than float but both are not great.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

gillyske

Likes Dirt
The 36 Rythm uses a different, heavier lower legs compared to the performance range. The grip dampener is considered to be a pretty good dampener still and in my very limited experience to them, they are about as good as a lyrik with a charger dampener (maybe even better depending on what you like a fork to feel like) and a lot better than a motion control which is what the yari has.

I think either way we're approaching gear head wankery when trying to pick between the two shocks. The fox float EVOL is generally considered to be more plush than a super deluxe. However the super deluxe (with a megneg air can fitted) is fitted to a lot of EWS machines where as the fox float dps evol is no where to be found. Float X2 is really what you want from the fox aire shock line up.

If your mate is not gunna bother with add on upgrades to their suspension I'd just go with the fox set up. I was faced with a similar situation when I was buying my Commencal, ended up going with RS because it was cheaper and i knew i was gunna chuck a coil on the rear.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Thanks for the replies.
I don't have much experience with Fox stuff, so it's good to learn a bit.

He's not really a tweaker /fiddler/upgrader... so things like Avalanche cartridges and different air cans are very unlikely if I think I know him.

Update:
In true LBS form, the local Trek dealer has convinced him the Remedy 8 is the best bike to buy.
(Always, always up-selling no matter what you tell them...)
So he's gonna lay a deposit down this week.
I think it's a good outcome regardless of spec differences because the Remedy frame is prolly slightly better suited than the Sight and that's the most important thing.

BTW: Has anyone had any issues with chucking a Cock-Block frame over the ute tailgate? Does the wheel come around far enough for a snug fit?... or does it hit the stops and then sit awkwardly on the t/g pad?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Thanks for the replies.
I don't have much experience with Fox stuff, so it's good to learn a bit.

He's not really a tweaker /fiddler/upgrader... so things like Avalanche cartridges and different air cans are very unlikely if I think I know him.

Update:
In true LBS form, the local Trek dealer has convinced him the Remedy 8 is the best bike to buy.
(Always, always up-selling no matter what you tell them...)
So he's gonna lay a deposit down this week.
I think it's a good outcome regardless of spec differences because the Remedy frame is prolly slightly better suited than the Sight and that's the most important thing.

BTW: Has anyone had any issues with chucking a Cock-Block frame over the ute tailgate? Does the wheel come around far enough for a snug fit?... or does it hit the stops and then sit awkwardly on the t/g pad?

Maybe 2 further things to consider.

Bontrager wheels and Trek linkage hardware are rubbish. If your mate rides hard he will need to budget for new wheels and linkage bolts and bearings.

No idea what wheels the Norco has but the frames are tough! I saw a carbon range the other day that had hit a tree. Fork had cracked the csu and bent the legs and lowers, saddle had been snapped off its rails. Frame was fine.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Maybe 2 further things to consider.

Bontrager wheels and Trek linkage hardware are rubbish. If your mate rides hard he will need to budget for new wheels and linkage bolts and bearings.

No idea what wheels the Norco has but the frames are tough! I saw a carbon range the other day that had hit a tree. Fork had cracked the csu and bent the legs and lowers, saddle had been snapped off its rails. Frame was fine.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
What specifically is bad about the Trek wheels & hardware?
Poor metallurgy?
Is your experience recent?

The Norco runs WTB rims, sapim s/steel spokes and Deore hubs.... so it's a bit of a mash up. I rate the WTB rims, but not the hubs.

Personally I have a real soft spot for Norco. But I stayed objective when he asked me to compare those two bikes.
There's not much to split them tbh.

Oddjob

What specifically is bad about the Trek wheels & hardware?
Poor metallurgy?
Is your experience recent?

The Norco runs WTB rims, sapim s/steel spokes and Deore hubs.... so it's a bit of a mash up. I rate the WTB rims, but not the hubs.

Personally I have a real soft spot for Norco. But I stayed objective when he asked me to compare those two bikes.
There's not much to split them tbh.

The bontrager hubs are shit. Just ask Zaf. He stripped two drive rings out from memory. Treks also run alloy linkage bolts to save weight. Unfortunately they also flex which fucks bearings and its easy to strip threads. Again ask Zaf.

I'm not a huge fan of Shimano hubs but I would take that Norco wheelset over a Bontrager any day.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So long as they still have Knock-Block - Trek can eat a bagful.

If they can't design a stiff enough frame without that crap they have serious problems...

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Hmm....I think we might need an "intervention". He's definitely developed "Trek eyes" this week.

I did a little googling about Bontrager hubs and.....yep.....they have issues (not discounting @Zaf testimony).
@Zaf -Do you remember if your cheesy hubs were "Rapid Drive" or just regular dime-a-dozen model? IIRC your Slash was a pretty high-end model...?

Personally I'm not scared of cup-and-cone bearings. I'm an engineer, I have a workshop at home and work, and I do all my own spannering.
But old mate lives in an apartment and does not spanner much. It would be very ironic if I steered him away from the Trek because of hub issues, only to have his cup-and-cone Norco go out of adjustment and cause frustration.

I think I might mention the Polygon N9 too. (just to really fuck-up his decision process). Awesome value, wicked spec. Good geo. The frame may or may not stand-up to his abuse....

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Update...

Buddy thought long and hard, tuned-up the Mrs, went round in circles for a few more days, got the shits with it all... and then whipped out the CC, logged on to bicyclesonline.com.au, selected "Large Polygon Siskiu N9".... aaand..

... Out of stock.

So, fuck it, went to the pub to regroup.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Update...

Buddy thought long and hard, tuned-up the Mrs, went round in circles for a few more days, got the shits with it all... and then whipped out the CC, logged on to bicyclesonline.com.au, selected "Large Polygon Siskiu N9".... aaand..

... Out of stock.

So, fuck it, went to the pub to regroup.

The Marin's look like a pretty good deal at the moment and they get great reviews