Eugene Smith - Hobart Nat's

Looserider

Likes Bikes
Eugene had a major accident at the Nationals and was in Hobart hospital in a serious condition on Sunday night. Obviously our thoughts have been with him and his family and we wish him a speedy recovery. Can anyone give us an update on how this young bloke is??

CRIK

NSWMTB
We would also really like to know how Eugene is going. Eugene's family made us feel welcome in Tassie for the last 3 years and we want them to know our thoughts and prayers are with them all at this time.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
There is a story about it here if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/12/13/192791_todays-news.html

It is from the 13th so may not be any information that you don't already have.
Had a geez of that when I was waiting in the airport, hope old mate's alright, read that 14 people were taken away in ambos over the course of the weekend.
Hope everyone heals up nicely, although, might take Adam Smithson a while with this injury I managed to capture...

p4pb5966963.jpg

p4pb5966953.jpg

Compound fracture, anyone?

My thoughts and condolences go out to Eugene and his family, hope he heels up well!

adman

Likes Dirt
Firstly, Eugene has had operations on his head to release brain pressure. They've removed parts of his skull on either side in an attempt to do this. His condition was looking up from Monday onwards, but then looked worse as his brain continued to swell after fluid was extracted. Doctors said basically if the brain gets too compressed, blood flow will slow, and the situation could get a lot worse. Stages can be taken to prevent this i.e firstly let out fluid, then slightly constrict blood flow but these avenues are only so effective. Hopefully his situation looks up. On a better note, he has been moved from ICU to a stable position, but will remain in induced coma for another week probably. It is looking like the whole saga will go for months.

Basically now they're waiting for the 72 hours period called "the plateau' by neurologists to pass. This is the period where the brain will either settle or get worse. They have one more trump up their sleeve if the brain continues to swell which is to take out yet another piece of bone, but after that, there isn't a heap that can be done.

Fuck I hope he pulls through this. It's shocking to think that we could be losing a best friend here. :(

adman

Likes Dirt
jesus Ty... you might want to put a link to that buddy! Not all people want to see that.

CRIK

NSWMTB
jesus Ty... you might want to put a link to that buddy! Not all people want to see that.
Have to agree with you there.

Also adman, thanks for the update on Eugene. Would be great if you could keep us informed of his progress. Our thoughts are with him and his family, hoping for a full recovery.

Barspin Imports

Likes Dirt
We here at Barspin Imports and on behalf of the whole Team Banshee Australia, want to give our best wishes to Eugene and his family!! We are really hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

My bestfriend's Dad was the neurosurgeon who operated on him, he said he's seen some bad injuries from biking, but this has to be one of the worst ones he's had to operate on.

Hope Eugene get's better soon.