Evans Cycles no longer shipping to Australia!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, it’s great for protectionism and increasing the ‘Australia tax’. I’d guess that even those that will continue the sales with gst will probably up the prices to include some processing fees and you’ll have to go VPN to get the real prices.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did they expressly blame the gst change? Maybe they are crumbling to geoblocking...
EVANS CYCLES SERVICE UPDATE

With the Australian tax law policy changing on July 1st, 2018, we will no longer be able to meet our current pricing and level of service.
It is therefore with regret that we will stop shipping to Australia from June 14th, 2018.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Well that's a bit shit. Only ever bought of them once but hoping others will not follow suit.

Flow-Rider

Burner
only a matter of time before the local online shops start raising costs knowing all too well competition has halved due to the changes
Of coarse they will but some people will find a way to back door it all, maybe with freight forwarding companies or family that reside overseas. It will just mean for me that I will drop off some of the bikes I own or ride them less. I've already stocked up on a heap of drive line gear.

T.3

Likes Dirt
If the local online sites jack up prices for no reason other than the new lack of international competition it may be an Avenue for the resurgence of the lbs.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Before geoblocking Evans were consistently the cheapest option. They regularly had 10-15% off sales and free shipping over $100. I purchased several pairs of five tens way below what crc were selling them for but then they were geoblocked along with sram and many other brands. They also cut free shipping and most of their sales only applied to uk customers. Seeing as they have screwed Australian customers several times already I would guess their sales volume (to Au) would be a fraction of what it was a few years ago.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
had average service from evans over years, if crc and wiggle go the same way then yep its back to dealing with local shops who have no idea and have inflated prices on stuff you know is half that online. I've just finished doing a crc order on all the parts I usually need, tyres, chains, etc etc.

10% extra would really be nothing - it's the lack of competition and cartel prices that will be back with the distributors adding their 50%.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
If the local online sites jack up prices for no reason other than the new lack of international competition it may be an Avenue for the resurgence of the lbs.
...nah. gut feeling is lbs will increase their prices accordingly too.
we lose in every possible way with the new gst on sub$1K purchases...we pay more for os online, lose buying options, pay more locally online and more at the lbs is what im anticipating

Z

Zaf

Hahahaha, my LBS just quoted me $1600 for a Lyrik and wanted postage paid on top of that.
I think the online retailers have a fair bit of room to expand pricing and still undercut the LBS with efforts like that.
Beer forks at Champagne prices, they also banged on for a bit about how shitty Magura brakes are (because you can strip bolts if you're a neanderthal with how you cinch them up).

If online, offshore retailers are offering prices that are still 20% below asking, I'll pay my 10% GST and still grab a bargain. This is not a terribly difficult equation.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hahahaha, my LBS just quoted me $1600 for a Lyrik and wanted postage paid on top of that.
I think the online retailers have a fair bit of room to expand pricing and still undercut the LBS with efforts like that.
Beer forks at Champagne prices, they also banged on for a bit about how shitty Magura brakes are (because you can strip bolts if you're a neanderthal with how you cinch them up).

If online, offshore retailers are offering prices that are still 20% below asking, I'll pay my 10% GST and still grab a bargain. This is not a terribly difficult equation.
if online shops don't want to create a local au gst version of their site, then you will have no ship options unless you drop ship.

Z

Zaf

if online shops don't want to create a local au gst version of their site, then you will have no ship options unless you drop ship.
Surely if you just keep your basket above $1000 it will follow the usual tax method of getting processed at Customs.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
How the hell are the government actually going to enforce it? If CRC or the Germans don't want to give up the sales, who's actually going to make them disclose the level of business they do?

Given that there's not going to be any current change to the flow of goods across the border, the bigger guys will just keep on going as per normal I reckon.