Product Review Evil Follwing MB (complete & individual component review)

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive been wanting to review a few things I'm currently riding for a while now, but never had the time to write an in depth review. Here goes..
About the reviewer: I'm 25 and have been riding for 9 years, racing downhill on and off. I'm 6ft and my rider weight is 95kg, I would describe my riding style as plough through everything and ask questions later, never been able to make my line choices look elegant although I make it to the finish line (most) times. I'm living in SE Queensland and ride mostly the locations that the SEQ series covers as well as the local convenient spots like clear mountain, gap creek and bunya. I currently own a 2016 Santacruz V10 and current model Evil Following MB (being reviewed) although I just sold a 2016 Yeti SB6c which is what I compare the Evil against. Enough about me...
One other thing before I get started that I wanted to mention is my experience with Evil. I got caught up in the Aussie Evil distributor going belly up and lost a small fortune. Evil couldn't have provided a better outcome for myself and the others who invested in their products and I couldn't speak highly enough about them and I love what they stand for.

Item: Evil Follwing MB Large
Purchased From: Direct sales
Purchase Price (approx): $3700 AUD
Usage: This is my go to bike for everything at the moment. I've done 40km commutes, pedalled up hills and came back down. Theres a bit more about where I ride above.
Pros - Playful - Anyone who owns one of these things or quite possibly any of the Evil range will know what I'm talking about. These things are a heap of fun. They build so much confidence and inspire you to pop off every bump and rip every corner. You feel like Chris Kovirak in his Intense promos crossed between Ratboy playing around on rocks in the woods.
Inspire confidence - For dual suspension bike on the smaller end of the scale for travel (120mm/140mm), you wouldn't know it. This may have something to do with the big wheels as its my first time but I would rate it on par with the SB6c which is has a reputation (well deserved) for keeping up with downhill bikes. I know it sounds like I just love the bike Im on but wait for the Cons. The MB suits my riding style by being super forgiving and doesn't cause rider fatigue for riding the big stuff, I couldn't imagine what its big brother The Wrecker would be like in this department.
Suspension Design/ adjustability - The Delta link really works as its intended too which isn't really a surprise coming from its creator, Dave Weagle. You can really feel the initial plushness and then things ramp up as you take bigger hits. The "flip chips" are a great way of giving more options for the one bike too although I haven't had to change them as I am running a 140mm for when its recommended to run a 120-130. I believe if I flipped it I would run into a lot of pedal strike issues. The option to run 27+ tyres is nice to know too. I don't want to own any more bikes and possibly in the future might look at getting rid of the V10 so it would be good to have a spare set of 27+ wheels to make the most of the clever design.

Cons - Climbing - One of the biggest factors leading to the decision to pick this small traveled bike was the thought that I would be on the closest thing to an Ebike to get up hills and ride a lot more. Although I'm not saying that the MB doesn't climb well, it just doesn't exceed your expectations considering its the most climbing purposed bike I've ever owned. I remember with the Yeti I was blown away with how well it climbed. This could also be due to me being fatter and unfitter...
Rear Shock- The RockShox Super Deluxe is just missing something. I've never been a huge fan of Rockshox especially their rear suspension although its extremely hard to tune to match the versatility of the rest of the bike. I will definitely be getting a push shock once they come available.
Small details - rubber grommets coming out of entry points to internally run cables due to cable movement when the suspension is working. Rear shock mounting bolts coming lose every second ride. Odd sized headsets (although evil provide an FSA one with the frame). Unique shock sizing and limited options for now. These are the things you shouldn't find in hand built frames from a company in the US.
Comments:
Definitely would recommend anyone wanting an all purpose, fun, versatile bike thats more unique than a Giant but doesn't cost as much as Yeti/ Santacruz.
Pictures/Videos: Unfortunatley the only photo I have is before the build was complete. I'll get some uploaded and possibly a video before the weekends done. Excuse the uncut cables and extreme seat angles and inb4 is this a balance bike.
Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 11.45.06 pm.png

Item: Ethirteen TRS+ dropper post
Purchased From: MTB Direct
Purchase Price (approx): $280 during the Black Friday sales
Usage: on the above mentioned Following MB

Pros - Price- Its not the cheapest although the other brands I was considering were above the $400 mark
Fitting/Servicing- I haven't yet serviced it although fitting was incredibly easy. The instructions provided were clear and Im confident an 8 year old could do this, plenty of cable and most parts pre-assembled. With the reliability of cable droppers out I would never get a hydraulic dropper post as bikes should be being made simpler more serviceable if something were to go wrong on the track. The service kit also comes in the package with instructions so no need to buy.
Ergonomics - The lever is sits well next to a Shimano XTR rear brake and the grip tape on the lever serves purpose and easy to replace when due.
Cons -
The post has 4 set positions (not infinite like the RS reverb or Fox transfer, or any other dropper I've ever seen). One position is fully up, one fully down and two in the middle (to state the obvious). I always thought I'd run my last Fox Transfer post either fully up when sitting down or fully down when standing up, how wrong was I. I am considering selling the E thirteen post as the desired height for pedalling is between two settings which is incredibly annoying. It also has a bit of play at the very top and the seat swivels.

Comments:
I probably wouldn't purchase this post again I would either stick to what I know and get a Fox transfer otherwise try something completely different.
Pictures/Videos:
To come

Item: Shimano XTR Groupset.
Purchased From: JonnySprockets
Purchase Price (approx): $1100
Usage: On the above mentioned Following MB

Pros - Simplicity to bleed brakes, availability on parts, price and look. Can't really go wrong
Cons - In a 2 week period I've broken a a gear cable and stretched another significantly, the cable pinch bolt can't hold it tight enough. This is probably due to being rough on my gear changes but I've never had this problem before.

Comments: Next time I will go the GX eagle group set with a 4 piston brake. I have Guide RSC's and don't rate them either.

Pictures/Videos:
Not necessary they are the commodore of mountain bike parts.

Item: DT Swiss EX1501 Wheelset on 240 hubs
Purchased From: ForTheRiders
Purchase Price (approx): $950
Usage: On the above mentioned Following MB. I have ENVE M90/10's on the V10 which is what I'm comparing them too.

Pros - Really couldn't say enough good things about these. Wheels are probably the biggest ongoing expense for me and these are really stiff and can take a beating. Probably the best non carbon rim out there and a very competitive price. Its no wonder why a lot of pro's are running these. I was almost going to buy a Stans FLOW wheel set but glad a spent the extra hundred.
Cons -
Comments:

Pictures/Videos:
PSA above

Thanks for reading, feel free to ask any questions. Member product reviews are a good idea with the internet sales so popular its the best way to research whether a product is going to be good for you without actually using it first so I hope this helps someone.