AM Evil Insurgent

teK--

Eats Squid
New cockpit time. Jumped on the short and wide bandwagon.

• Enve M7 35mm clamp, 800mm wide.
  • Thomson X4 35mm clamp, 32mm length.
Took a little getting used to on the first ride, coming off a 50mm Stem and 750mm wide bar. It’s strange because while it feels more twitchy with the shorter stem you also have more control with the wider bars. It did feel a little harder to lift the front though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it's hard to lift the bars it could be cause they are too wide for you. Try doing a pushup and see from what hand spacing gives youax power. You don't want to go much past that point.

My pushup max strength width is 750mm, but i run 785 bars just because I like the feel, knowing full well I compromise a little bit of control on tight turns.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeah, I test rode an SB150 with 800mm bars...with my FUBAR right shoulder I nearly went OTB down a steep roll-in...

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it's hard to lift the bars it could be cause they are too wide for you. Try doing a pushup and see from what hand spacing gives youax power. You don't want to go much past that point.

My pushup max strength width is 750mm, but i run 785 bars just because I like the feel, knowing full well I compromise a little bit of control on tight turns.
I’m going to give it a bit more time at 800. They’re wider, but they have more sweep and rise than the Thomson’s which means with the shorter stem they’re also quite a bit closer. There’s a fair few variables that have changed that will take a bit of adjustment.

Biggest issue is they don’t fit down my hallway anymore.

Haven’t fitted it yet, but also got one of these:

R3pro 3D printed bottle cage mount which sticks into the down tube. Don’t think I will ditch the pack, but will be good to have a bottle for shorter rides with the dog.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is an awesome rig!

I am building something similar in slimeball.

Also got a dhx2 for it. Can't decide if I want a 550lb spring or 600lb, I am 100kg. What did you use to decide on the 500lb?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is an awesome rig!

I am building something similar in slimeball.

Also got a dhx2 for it. Can't decide if I want a 550lb spring or 600lb, I am 100kg. What did you use to decide on the 500lb?

I just used the Fox spring rate calculator.
At 90kg kitted up had me at 525lb (not available). Also emailed Evil and they recommended 500 and the base settings below.

I’m pretty happy on the 500lb now, and at about 25-30% sag.

Probably better to be slightly over sprung than under. Due to the leverage curve once you get past that initial 30% sag you lost a lot of initial suppleness.

Also, Evil’s recommended base settings on DHX2:

LSC - 7 clicks from full open
HSC - 6 clicks from full open
LSR - 9 Clicks from full open
HSR - 6 Clicks from full open

I ended up running a few clicks more HSC and LSR.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just used the Fox spring rate calculator.
At 90kg kitted up had me at 525lb (not available). Also emailed Evil and they recommended 500 and the base settings below.

I’m pretty happy on the 500lb now, and at about 25-30% sag.

Probably better to be slightly over sprung than under. Due to the leverage curve once you get past that initial 30% sag you lost a lot of initial suppleness.

Also, Evil’s recommended base settings on DHX2:

LSC - 7 clicks from full open
HSC - 6 clicks from full open
LSR - 9 Clicks from full open
HSR - 6 Clicks from full open

I ended up running a few clicks more HSC and LSR.

Legend, thanks.

Can't wait to build and ride this thing

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now with extra endur-bro!

• 2018 Fox 36 FIT4 160mm;
  • Renthal Fatbar Carbon 35mm Stealth;
  • SRAM GX Eagle 12-Speed drivetrain;
  • Lezyne Flow Storage bottle cage;
  • Granite Designs Rockband.

Only fits a 600ml bottle, but that gets me through most rides. Much prefer riding without the Camelbak.

Prefer the Fox 36 over the Lyrik it replaced - it seems to have better mid-stroke support, sits higher in the travel and resists diving under brakes better. Maybe it was because of the fresh rebuild but the Lyrik was probably marginally more supple of the top.

The Fatbar was mostly for aesthetic reasons in the pursuit of more stealth, but also for a touch more rise over the M7s they replaced.

Still to come: Vorsprung Smashpot, a black or gold SRAM or KMC chain and some needle bearings for the shock.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking good mate. Love the stealth.

I recently swapped out my Diamond for a 36 Fit4 (170mm) and at first I was surprised at how firm/supportive the 36 felt. I thought I was going to hate it, but it is actually very plush after a couple of days riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro