Evolutionary stages

teK--

Eats Squid
Don't know why they still insist on using alloy freehub bodies. Should be titanium or steel only, or even aluminium but with a steel insert on the leading edge. Shame we don't really have a choice most of the time.

Well...this afternoon I decided to make another attempt at releasing my freehub body from the evil clutches of the cassette. I started out with a bit of tap-a-tap-a-tap-aaaaaaah fuck it, whack!

View attachment 334025

Turns out it just needed more hammer. Last time round I was rather forceful. I tried hammer, screwdriver, vice, chain whip, pliers, multigrips, and not had any luck. But I'd forgotten that each cog in my fancy ultegra cassette was individual except the top couple. Having remembered that today I bashed those fuckers loose one at time. I've since filed down the burs and will just jam the new cassette on. It will jam, but I'm not too worried.

View attachment 334026

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Good work Poodles and looking forward to the ride report.
Ride report? What the fuck do you mean? I don't ride...

I've also put myself on light duties until I return from my annual Japan trip. It is too close now to risk injury. I'll at least know how it pedals by next week...guiding gig on Sunday.

Let the creaking commence......
Nah man...threaded bottom bracket! Cracking does remain a real possibility though.

Don't know why they still insist on using alloy freehub bodies. Should be titanium or steel only, or even aluminium but with a steel insert on the leading edge. Shame we don't really have a choice most of the time.
When the time comes I will be purchasing a steel job for my hope hub.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Close...boarding around Nagano and Niigata, but no where particularly top secret. :( By the end of it I should've visited 13 fields.
all good. Going there in march, more for a look see, soak in hot springs and general chillout. any hot spring recommendations on Honshu?

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
all good. Going there in march, more for a look see, soak in hot springs and general chillout. any hot spring recommendations on Honshu?
I love a good Onsen. Any town with Onsen in the name is usually going to be a winner. Nozawa Onsen is a bit of a stand out. There is a lot of free Onsen around the town and some commercial ones. The town is really nice as well, plenty of good food. The ski field will probably still have good snow as well.

Just he forewarned, there is an Australian guy there running some accommodation services. I don't hold a high opinion of his approach.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ride report? What the fuck do you mean? I don't ride....
Report on doggie gallops and jumps. :doh:

I've also put myself on light duties until I return from my annual Japan trip. It is too close now to risk injury. I'll at least know how it pedals by next week...guiding gig on Sunday.
A bloke I ride with had a week booked at Derby, a couple days before bunny hopped a gutter and lost the front wheel then shattered his collar bone.

Enjoy the :smow:....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Report on doggie gallops and jumps. :doh:

A bloke I ride with had a week booked at Derby, a couple days before bunny hopped a gutter and lost the front wheel then shattered his collar bone.

Enjoy the :smow:....
Ouch. Thru axle for the safety...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Lol! The wrong type of lost front wheel. It happened on the way back to the car park after the group ride had finished.
Oh...I was having flashbacks to my primary school days when the local dickheads chucked a mono coming down the notorious "hospital Hill" and his front wheel came off his bmx. Being the 80s there was a lot of mercurochrome on him when he returned to school.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I love a good Onsen. Any town with Onsen in the name is usually going to be a winner. Nozawa Onsen is a bit of a stand out. There is a lot of free Onsen around the town and some commercial ones. The town is really nice as well, plenty of good food. The ski field will probably still have good snow as well.

Just he forewarned, there is an Australian guy there running some accommodation services. I don't hold a high opinion of his approach.
PM sent ;)

Last edited: