External bottom bracket compatibility between brands

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Currently I am running a 06 truvativ stylo crankset with truvativ external BB. I've only put about 6 months of use on this BB so it should still have plenty of life left in it.
I have however ordered an 08 XT crankset and Im just wondering whether I need to use the BB which came with it, or if the cranks will fit into the truvativ BB which is already there? I hear the XT BBs have better bearings/seals/whatever over the truvativ ones, but I'd rather wear out the existing BB before putting in the XT one.
Thanks for your help.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Currently I am running a 06 truvativ stylo crankset with truvativ external BB. I've only put about 6 months of use on this BB so it should still have plenty of life left in it.
I have however ordered an 08 XT crankset and Im just wondering whether I need to use the BB which came with it, or if the cranks will fit into the truvativ BB which is already there? I hear the XT BBs have better bearings/seals/whatever over the truvativ ones, but I'd rather wear out the existing BB before putting in the XT one.
Thanks for your help.
I think you will need to use the shimano bb with the crankset,anyhow,i wore out my stylo's in 9 months,the bb in my opinion is not that good,whereas the shimano bb seems to be the goods,it seems to keep crud out much better than the truvativ.
I did run the 06 truvativ,but as have you have done,i now am running the shimano 08 xt and am much happier!

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I think you will need to use the shimano bb with the crankset,anyhow,i wore out my stylo's in 9 months,the bb in my opinion is not that good,whereas the shimano bb seems to be the goods,it seems to keep crud out much better than the truvativ.
I did run the 06 truvativ,but as have you have done,i now am running the shimano 08 xt and am much happier!
Ditto ,another reason why I want to upgrade - I get funny noises in my Truvativ

I am in the same boat - XT on order

Let me know what tools you end up purchasing if you do the work yourself

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Ditto ,another reason why I want to upgrade - I get funny noises in my Truvativ

I am in the same boat - XT on order

Let me know what tools you end up purchasing if you do the work yourself
I have the tool already - a parktools BBT-9 from CRC which was about $27. It says it can be used on the truvativ BBs as well. It has the 16 point spanner bit for removing the BB from the shell, and also has the tool to tighten the crank arm adjustment cap built into the end of the handle so you can never lose it.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Hmm, can't find the BBT-9 tool, there's just about every other number listed there though.

Linky

Fek, all these tools are confusing the shit out of me. I've emailed CRC twice now, with no response. I'm hoping I can get away with 2 x multi-purpose tools, instead of laying out $60+ on 4 individual tools that I'll probably ever use once

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Hmm, can't find the BBT-9 tool, there's just about every other number listed there though.

Linky

Fek, all these tools are confusing the shit out of me. I've emailed CRC twice now, with no response. I'm hoping I can get away with 2 x multi-purpose tools, instead of laying out $60+ on 4 individual tools that I'll probably ever use once
This is the one I got.. says BBT-9 on the tool itself.. doesnt seem to eb in the details on the website:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4062
I dont actually know if I need anything else at the moment - I dont think so from a quick skim of instructions, but I guess I will figure it out soon!