extra 4 links in chain, will it help smoth the shifting on 1x9, or 2x9 drivetrain?

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
OK, I've tuned the drive train over and over again but I just don't the right feel when shifting up or down (it could just be me, but I like my shifts to be snappy but smooooooooooothh). My 1x9 DH rig seems to have problems on the last 3 lowest gears (chain is a bit skewed and rear derailluer is is madly tensed)

I noticed that the long oarm of the SRAM X-0 is hard pressed to in keeping the tension when on the lowest gear and still sorta tensed when on the lowest gear.

Question: Will adding an extra 4 links in chain help in smoothing out shifting?

I'm using:
  • SRAM X-9 Shifter
  • SRAM X-0 Rear Derailleur
  • SRAM PG-970 Chain (uncut, full length 9speed chain
  • SRAM PG-980 11-32T Cassette (looking forward just to 5 speed)

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just measure the correct chainlength for your drivetrain... search on the forums or go to park tool's explaination.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26

No point in guessing especially seeing its very simple to do.

Drivetrains usually work, they just need to be set up properly even if at times you may think you have everything setup properly something can be out that just makes it work badly... worth doing all your adjustments and measurements from scratch, (and make sure your hanger is straight.)

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
4 links is heaps of chain length. Have you got fresh inner and outers? No point tuning gears with old cable... If you haven't, do that, and see how you go.

Edit, jdas point is a valid one too, sounds like too much chain already

Last edited:

kgunzer

Likes Dirt

This is a picture of my problem... Park tool claims it's alright but I think this is baaadddd.

It's from the Park Tool Website and I don't like my dereailleur being stressed like this (DAMN X-0s are fkn expensive equipment for n00bs like me to be tortured).

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
BTW, I used the largest cassette cog to the largest chainring method when I/we installed the drive train. It works but not so smooth on the lowest 3 gears of the 9 gear. Works best on fastest gear (11 tooth), but kinda difficult to pedal uphil :(

Ivan

Eats Squid
I'm going to side with park tool on this one. ;)

Consistent chain tension is a good thing. If your shifts are lazy, I'd be looking at things that control movements in the plane perpendicular to your chain i.e Gear cable, main dérailleur spring. There's no point in having an XO dérailleur that's being controlled by gunked up cable.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Is this on a dual suspension bike? Did you account for chain growth?

Derailleurs are designed to cope in the situation in the picture above. As long as it's not worse than that then it'll be fine. You do have to use some common sense when you shift - You can't expect the drive train to be perfectly smooth in big ring-big cog - particularly on a 3x9 set up.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt

This is a picture of my problem... Park tool claims it's alright but I think this is baaadddd.

It's from the Park Tool Website and I don't like my dereailleur being stressed like this (DAMN X-0s are fkn expensive equipment for n00bs like me to be tortured).
My XO looks just like that on a 2x9, 27-40 front/11-34 rear when in 40-34.