Facing complete knee replacement, riding advice?

ikon

Likes Dirt
So I just got some very bad news. I have to have a complete replacement of my right knee. I'm only 42 and really want to be able to ride trail and all mountain again.

I'm not small. 179cm 108Kg heavy frame. Reason for replacement is a 40mm tumor near the base of my right femur. No way to remove the tumor and keep the knee due to placement. My current understanding is that the surgeon is going to use a post style prosthetic that will be inserted into the marrow cavity of the leg bone.

what I'm asking is what should I be looking at for an aggressive trail/all mountain bike that will minimise problems with the knee replacement. I was thinking 6 or 7 inches travel to really give me a good cushion.

I'm not expecting to be riding off road anytime soon don't need to hurry out and buy something right away.
I'll have plenty of questions for the surgeon on the 4th

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
What @Minlak said, at least to start with.

I'm not a physio by any stretch, but I would imagine there will be a major amount of rehab involved. Anything that will get you outside is going to be worth the investment.

Minlak

custom titis
What @Minlak said, at least to start with.

I'm not a physio by any stretch, but I would imagine there will be a major amount of rehab involved. Anything that will get you outside is going to be worth the investment.
There are also many second hand / ex demo ones going cheap already. I think Jonny Sprockets was selling a Merida for $4999 with only 6 hrs on it.

Minlak

custom titis
Of course I strongly suggest ask the surgeon first for a realistic idea of what he thinks you can do before buying anything.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
And haggle for knee pads, downhill ones and the best on market at the time of purchase.

Good luck with the op.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Faaark mate ! I have NFI about e-bikes but would like to wish you all the best for the op and all the rest of the stuff you'll be dealing with. And that you can get back on the trails ASAP.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Can't help, but best of luck and get well soon. Sucks when life chucks curveballs at you but Hopefully we'll see you out on the trails.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Its my time to shine!

Did my PhD on strength training post knee replacement, to return individuals to a functional state well above what is currently achieved. Knee replacement is not the end of the world, and as far as elective surgery goes, it is the highest rated from a patient satisfaction perspective. Excellent surgery as long as the surgeon is not a dud and does the wrong leg.

Not a surgeon, but a rod down the shaft is a standard approach (they use a large hammer to get it in there!).

Honestly, I know this is a MTB forum, but get yourself a gravel grinder and explore all the rail trails and bike paths in whatever state you live. Knee replacements love cycling more so than most other activities, as long as you spin, grinding gears is bad, but its bad for anyones knees regardless of replacement or not. you don't want anything jolting your knee in the first 6+ months, the surgeon with specify what can and can't be done, but the knee will be instable until significant muscle mass and muscle activation return.

Just be prepared for the first 2-4 weeks post surgery are really, really shit for most people. People find it very depressing to be effectively disabled and in significant pain, then coming of the 'good' pain killers also throws people around.

ikon

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try and keep this post up to date with my mini saga..
In the mean time I'll most likely be riding my free ride hard tail to keep active on . it's converted for street riding so it's not too aggressive.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Do the physio. Work hard at that, and get properly better first and you'll be riding again. I haven't had a knee replacement, but have had a full reco, after a major motorcycle get off, and also had one hip arthroscope done later on too, and find that riding helps both issues. As mywifesirrational said, get used to spinning. Cranking is bad. Personally, as much as I enjoy flat pedals for dicking around, my knees really like SPD's, as they are a solid click into perfect repeatable alignment and take the stress off your knees as the rotations are always spot on. I never get sore knees with SPD's but sometimes do with flats, unless I'm careful about placing my foot squarely on the flats. Anyway, good luck.