VIC Fairfield Boat House area track

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
To the person that built all the lovely tracks and this step down, you're amazing. A friend and I will be adding in some more berms and jumps to the track if that's okay with you, if you ever see this5DDONbz.jpg

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
these tracks are tolerated as natural tracks when you build them up with berms etc you are going to attract the attention of rangers which could result in the area being fenced off like has happened elsewhere, as it's yarra bend park it's a fine line between keeping tracks open for all or it being ruined by a few who can't see the bigger picture.

the way the berms have been done it will cause erosion not to mention attracting attention, it's a pretty sensitive area soil wise and the next big rain will wash it away and form gullies, not good, they'll fence it off.

Last edited:

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
these tracks are tolerated as natural tracks when you build them up with berms etc you are going to attract the attention of rangers which could result in the area being fenced off like has happened elsewhere, as it's yarra bend park it's a fine line between keeping tracks open for all or it being ruined by a few who can't see the bigger picture.

the way the berms have been done it will cause erosion not to mention attracting attention, it's a pretty sensitive area soil wise and the next big rain will wash it away and form gullies, not good, they'll fence it off.
Gobble gobble

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
This isn't actually in the boathouse, and someone has already built these tracks, I'm pretty sure no one really goes there anymore. All you find up there is bongs and old fires

They are all over this area, in the wedge between the boulevard and next to the Rehab center
Thats not the point. Doesnt matter who built the tracks, mtb101's point remains valid.

Especially in the context of your comment: "A friend and I will be adding in some more berms and jumps to the track if that's okay with you,"

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep that's the area I was referring to, there are already tracks there, putting in berms etc draws attention to the fact that they are used by mtbs and it also makes the tracks very specific to DH mtb use, where previously they are multi-use walking, run, bike.

they have also dug up the track to accommodate the berms, not good mate will encourage erosion and like I said it marks the area as an mtb area only which means the ranger will either close it off or remove berms.

if you have the skills it aren't hard to bomb down any of these tracks without putting in berms, it's an off chamber section, just requires a bit of control and down you go, all good fun.

the area is used quite a bit (have a look at strava segments) and particularly by the Royal Talbot people as a walk circuit what do you think they will do when they see obvious fresh illegal construction of DH mtb tracks around there?

why not just ride within the environment you've got without having to change it to accommodate only certain types of riders skills etc?

we are lucky to have access and like I said these tracks are tolerated. would hate to lose access to them.

Rules of the Trail:
3. Leave No Trace: Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
snipped to save the enviroment.
Well said; I ride through there on a semi regular basis and would prefer no attention be drawn to the area via trail building. Especially if trail building results in an increase in MTB traffic through the area that the most relaxed parks ranger cannot ignore.

The area between the boulevard and river to the left side of the pipe bridge (if heading down the hill towards it) has been fenced off / trails closed because of this very reason a few years ago.

A little bit off track, but basically, if you want MTB specific trails, go to legal bike park and support their hard work and spend some coin in the local town/shop - nothing helps advocate MTB better than local shop owners telling the council how wonderful all the MTB riders buying lunch from them has helped their business.

akashra

Eats Squid
I have a serious question for you all, as I'm sure many of you use the trails in the area:

If it came to formalising the trails, which will come at a cost - mostly of which is cost in signage and printing - which of you would be willing to work to raise those funds to have those assets installed? That means the bollards and weatherproof IMBA trail rating signage to go in, re-printing of existing maps to go in to information boards aroun the park and in visitor centers to be picked up etc.

There are, obviously, many other factors but if the funding is on the table to do these kinds of things, it makes life easier for PV.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I have a serious question for you all, as I'm sure many of you use the trails in the area:

If it came to formalising the trails, which will come at a cost - mostly of which is cost in signage and printing - which of you would be willing to work to raise those funds to have those assets installed? That means the bollards and weatherproof IMBA trail rating signage to go in, re-printing of existing maps to go in to information boards aroun the park and in visitor centers to be picked up etc.

There are, obviously, many other factors but if the funding is on the table to do these kinds of things, it makes life easier for PV.
Yeah, I reckon I would.

I think it is something that should be considered for a lot of MTB trail centres/parks whatever you choose to call them.

What kind of model are you considering Tim?

akashra

Eats Squid
Yeah, I reckon I would.

I think it is something that should be considered for a lot of MTB trail centres/parks whatever you choose to call them.

What kind of model are you considering Tim?
I didn't have any set model in mind, but what I specifically did have in mind is that I'm willing to sit down with the guys at PV with a formal, well drawn up trail plan, and say "if you approve this, we'll do this" - which would mean the first step is formalisation of what's there. Those funds would need to be supported.

I didn't actually mean a user-pays system, more along the lines of which vollies are willing to man a Bunnings BBQ to bring in a few grand and make it happen. More that kind of angle.

But completely happy to explore the other suggestion if it's somehow workable. Just not sure given IMBA membership numbers that it would work, and how PV work that 'user-pays' would be acceptable to the government.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I didn't have any set model in mind, but what I specifically did have in mind is that I'm willing to sit down with the guys at PV with a formal, well drawn up trail plan, and say "if you approve this, we'll do this" - which would mean the first step is formalisation of what's there. Those funds would need to be supported.

I didn't actually mean a user-pays system, more along the lines of which vollies are willing to man a Bunnings BBQ to bring in a few grand and make it happen. More that kind of angle.

But completely happy to explore the other suggestion if it's somehow workable. Just not sure given IMBA membership numbers that it would work, and how PV work that 'user-pays' would be acceptable to the government.
Yeah, OK, I was getting a little off track with the user pays thoughts, just an area that I would consider supporting if it ever was proposed.

I am an excellent sausage fryer, and would happily donate my time and skills. I can think of a bunch of other fund raising models as well, I assume this would be best be done via a MTBA club?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Fund-raiser

Happy to be involved in some form of fund raising. I could produce a Le Spectacular Cabaret Show Girls evening down the Flats. Or we could get $20 from each of the regular Yarra Trails Regs = $2000 bucks. How can we centralise funds - my bank account is not the ideal place - $2000 bucks would buy alot of German rubber - (tyres)

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Given I ride the area a lot as it is close to home and easy to get to, I would love some 'real' tracks and not have to worry about walkers.

I would definitely chip in cash and/or time.

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Too be honest I didn't even know these tracks were supposed "natural" trails, I thought some random just built them seeming as there is a fucking awesome step down, but yeah I'm sure the nature can grow berms and stack wood up to make a step down. And I didn't know walkers liked step downs. From what I can tell my bike has been the only thing to go on the trails in the past month. Where are the signs you see on shared paths, no where, you either haven't ridden these tracks but think you have, or went there like 5 years ago.
I'm not going to work on it because I'm too lazy, but if we are able to work on these trails without people loosing their shit I'll gladly help as much as I can

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Leonell, you are failing at reading comprehension.

Lots of people here know exactly where these trails are, you are not some uber awesome urban explorer.

No, these are not official trails, they are trails that have formed by walkers, riders and random bong smokers walking from point A to point B ( or joint B?)

The fact that someone is building step downs and berms means that walkers and residents will complain, the rangers will not be able to turn a blind eye, and we will all lose access to the area.

Is that clear now?

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Leonell, you are failing at reading comprehension.

Lots of people here know exactly where these trails are, you are not some uber awesome urban explorer.

No, these are not official trails, they are trails that have formed by walkers, riders and random bong smokers walking from point A to point B ( or joint B?)

The fact that someone is building step downs and berms means that walkers and residents will complain, the rangers will not be able to turn a blind eye, and we will all lose access to the area.

Is that clear now?
Yes, but there is 4 paths that lead down to the road.
Like this

Stoners Bong place
.//|\
/\||/
Road
From this detailed illustration you can see that people can take many paths, one of them should be able to be turned into a bike track

moorey

call me Mia
Sorry pastavore. I WAS with you until I saw the detailed master plan leon has proposed. As you were, Leon.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Stoners Bong place
.//|\
/\||/
Road
From this detailed illustration you can see that people can take many paths, one of them should be able to be turned into a bike track
Um, you did move on from Stoners, right?

Last edited: