Falls Creek In the Winter.

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
I've just got word that my family are going to falls creek for ten days in about three weeks time. I'm not much of a skier/boarder and was considering taking my bike. Has anyone had any experience with snow riding? Is it worth taking a bike or is it all too hard?
Any advice is appreciated.

adman

Likes Dirt
Wouldn't bother mate.

If you lived where the snow was then you'd ride in the snow but for all the effort you'll just want to go faster on skis/board.

Would be fun trying to get it sideways down steep stuff...

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you talking about actually on the ski fields? Would they let you on the lifts?

Buy some studded tyres of CRC XD

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
go one step further, ride down from falls to beauty... then ride the dh track at the bottom
Just about to suggest this! It's a fantastic ride! Infact, there is a trail head just before the actual entrance gate to Falls.

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
Just about to suggest this! It's a fantastic ride! Infact, there is a trail head just before the actual entrance gate to Falls.
This sounds good, how long is the decent? Is their a train line or bus to shuttle?

Falls Creek has a proper snow bike rental and lessons up there. From memory it was about $80 for 2 hours.

Just googled that, looks like a possibility, i cant seem to find out if you can hire for an extended amount of time (a week)

It is possible to ride from Howmans Gap, just below the Falls Creek resort ticket box, to Bogong Village. Behind the sheds at Howmans Gap, follow the Juction Spur Fire Track til a T-juction, left onto Spion Kopje Fire Track and descend into Bogong Village. Its a cool ride, but to be honest its pretty painful as it is constatly blocked by fallen timber after the fires. Good chance there will be snow on the trail too. Its a XC bike job, I tried it on the DH and near killed myself with ascents along the way. From Bogong Village, you're on the bitumen for 10 k's of up and downing until you reach the national park boundry. Follow the fire track off the big hair pin called Cranky Charlie. Link on to The Survey Track, an iconic Mt. Beauty section of single track. You'll have a blast on this all the way back to Mt Beauty.

As far as shuttles go, good luck! Its a long ride back up!