Falls Creek shuttles

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Hi,
I will be up in the falls creek area in a couple of weeks. I know that blue dirt run occasional shuttle days for the new trails, but is it possible to shuttle these tracks yourself during the week etc?
cheers

Ideate

Yeah, anytime. I've run shuttles in my GTI. The only thing is the gate will be locked so you'll have to walk the last few hundred meters to the top.

This year Bluedirt got the shits with this bloke parking near the bottom of the the Buller shuttles in "their carpark" which was fucking empty. He was shuttling his wife for gods sake.. And forced him to park somewhere else to pickup his wife.

So I'm not sure if there'll be a presence of that same irrational attitude up at Falls this year but it shouldn't as it gets far less traffic than buller.

When are you going? Maybe I'll join you :)

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Thanks. Not sure what day yet, will need to look at the weather closer to the time. In any event I'll have the wife and kids in tow, so will probably just be a couple of runs before they get pissed off with it!

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Thanks. Not sure what day yet, will need to look at the weather closer to the time. In any event I'll have the wife and kids in tow, so will probably just be a couple of runs before they get pissed off with it!
I've been working up at Falls this Summer. There is no drama from Blue Dirt or anyone else shuttling yourself at Falls Creek, weekdays or weekends. Just keep in mind that whether the gate to the summit off Pretty Valley road is locked or open, the public isn't permitted to drive to the summit i.e park at the gate and ride up to the summit to access Thunderbolt and High Voltage - it's only an extra few minutes ride anyway. Same with access to the descending trail starting near the Ski Patrol hut towards Cloud Nine. You'll need to push up or ride in to that from Pretty Valley road also, also only a few minutes.

Might see you up there if it's a weekend.

Last edited:

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Just noticed on the falls creek website that apparently the chairlifts are operating this weekend in addition to the blue dirt shuttles the following (which I wouldn't have been around for). I quite like the sound of that, no waiting around.

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
A bit of a ride report from Falls Creek. Went up there today as we are holidaying in Mt Beauty and they had the chairlift running for the whole day, so it seemed like a good opportunity to check out the new trails. When you get up to the top there are basically three options (in order of difficulty): Thunderbolt, High Voltage and Vortex. Voltage is the pick of the bunch with 10 minutes of AM mayhem when coupled with wishing well track at the bottom, it’s a bit like the last section of the buller epic except a lot more technical. Its fast. On most occasions I meant to bail out at the end of voltage so that I did not have to climb back up to the chairlift, but I was having too much fun and kept going.
The easiest option is Lorna’s trail which heads into Vortex, which was the first track built at Falls 2 or 3 years ago. This is pretty good, but not as gnarly as the other two.
Thunderbolt is like Voltage except its shorter and has some long steep rock gardens. It takes you right back to the bottom of the chairlift.
All in all it was really good, I actually enjoyed it more than Buller and it’s come a long way since they first started doing MTB. Spitfire was the perfect bike for these tracks and handled everything well.

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
I would guess it would be end of April, but I'm not 100% on that. If you contact the blue dirt guys then they would know.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be up in Falls for 3 nights from the 12th. Hoping the weather holds up to get some good riding in. I don't think there'll be any kind of Shuttles running mid week but I man can hope.

Maybe I can con the wife into driving me up a few times