Falls/Fainters, 27 or 28 dec...

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Is fainters fine to ride by yourself? Im heading up to mt beauty on a family camping trip last week in Jan and quite fancy trying this, but I will obviously be a lone rider (not sure I can drag the missus and kids 40km over the mountains). I would take the usual precautions regarding being fully prepared, someone aware of my route etc.

Last edited:

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Is fainters fine to ride by yourself? Im heading up to mt beauty on a family camping trip last week in Jan and quite fancy trying this, but I will obviously be a lone rider (not sure I can drag the missus and kids 40km over the mountains). I would take the usual precautions regarding being fully prepared, someone aware of my route etc.
I solo'ed it.. I've been riding/climbing/hiking/skiing in the hills for 15 years, had a good map, good idea of conditions to come etc.. The trail is very exposed to weather and wind, and is very rocky. so yeah, just prepare like any mission in the hills and take your time :)

didn't check for phone reception - assumed none, but it is very open so there could well be...

have fun!

Last edited:

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
It isn't super well signposted, a good map is a good idea.

At pretty pretty valley go straight across the lake crossing and up the hill to Tawonga huts, From Tawonga huts, there's only one trail for a long time.

At the other end, you jump a gate (or go around), and a bit of nose-following is needed. I just took the most obvious paths - a lot of forestry road leading (eventually) to some trails in the big hill MTB park.

Here's my strava log: https://www.strava.com/activities/234044708. Ignore the first 10km, happy to flick you a .gpx file if you want one.

Have fun!

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
So I did this ride today and can recommend it. Pretty epic and heaps of great views around every corner; you know you're up high when your looking down on gliders and planes! Just take a good camera. I was getting a Telstra signal on most of the track, which was reassuring. Topped it off by cruising into Sweetwater brewery for a cleansing ale at the end of the ride, can't get better than that.
Thanks to bike you long time for the gpx trace.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
:thumb: great to hear!

I'll be pushing to go ride that beast every time we're down at the farm now... fencing? slashing? firewood? screw that, going riding....