feedback on Bell super 3R MIPS helmet or the 2

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Think the 3 is only just released most places. I have one on the way. MTB direct where great and organised a crash discount for a new one. 20% off their already 20% off price.

My 2R took a big hit. Cracked chin bar and big dints in the helmet. Was unconscious but def saved my face even though I still had about 15 stitches to eye and upper lip. Got goggles coming with the new one they would have protected my eyes. Another friend just attaches his chin bar to his camelbak on ride up and attached it to the helmet for the downs. Quite handy. Plan on the same for any faster descents now. But they seem to have good airflow, comfy on my head (all heads are different though.

I am happy with the protection but any serious stuff Id def go a proper full face. These arent at that level. And now MIPS on them can't hurt. I havent spent much on the bike lately. Been spending on protection. Good helmet, and pads. MTB community are good like that. I rock up with knee and elbow pads now all rides. Probably be scoffed at if I done that back in my skateboarding days.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Also took a bit in my original bell super. Just above the temple. Only times I have hit my head (twice over the years) has been in a bell super. It was dinted but I got up and kept going, was fine. I have a giro mips at the moment but seem to get more sweat in my eyes than I did with the bell.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I've got a 2R non-mips.

I chose the non-mips version, in part because the plastic mips liner was enough to create two pressure points on my head. I would be interested to see any actual independent research indicating effectiveness of MIPS system. seems unproven, and people buy it because it MIGHT help, rather than actually.
If you think it will help, and fits your head ok, by all means, buy a MIPS version. makes no difference to me.

Any decent helmet done up snugly but not too tight to breathe will have some degree of lateral movement, a good 5mm or more in any direction.

From my own reading on helmets, any helmet with a fairly smooth outer profile and no significant fins or other protrusions will (theoretically at least) be beneficial in a crash, as the helmet should be more able to slide on rock or dirt, rather than dig in - with potential forces resulting from that.

Bell Super 2R is good in that regard as it has that profile. as long as you don't mount a camera on it. it does come with a gopro mount which I believe is break-away, but not 100% on that.

Visor is fairly flexible and seems as though it would snap off nicely in a crash, rather than act as a force multiplier.

Ventilation and comfort has been pretty good, especially for an AM helmet with decent head coverage.

I have fafffed around with the strap system a bit to find a balance of snug fit, retention on the head, and easy breathing.

I get the impression that the helmet retention relies a bit more on the click wheel at the base of your skull at the back, and the cheek pads on the removable chin bar get in the way of the chin straps. The cheek pads are fairly soft and squishy, so it may not be a major thing, but you may find yourself adjusting the straps a tad when the chin bar is on.

No offs where my head smacked the ground. The chin bar has a fair degree of flex laterally, and a bit frontally. Not rated for DH. Varying reports on its protection effectiveness, but better than headbutting the ground with your face. make sure the damn thing is latched properly, or it will be worse than useless.

I've ridden with the chin bar fitted at Youies (non-DH tracks) and a DJ session. Vision is good, IMO. Worn with sunnies but not goggles. Chinbar ventilation is very good.

As always, you will need to try it on as it may or may not suit your head shape.

Last edited:

linkl8r

Likes Dirt
I have the Super 2r MIPS, not extremely happy with the MIPS side of it, don't think the value is there, also don't really like the way the liner attaches to the actual helmet, seems flimsy and have seen the inserts break on mates. I don't find wearing goggles as comfortable as compared to a full dh helmet.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
I imported a (large) 3R a month ago, when I couldn't find them in Australia. Have worn it chinbar-less at Wombat and Forrest, and full-face at You Yangs. Initially rode it full-face at my regular singletrack loop (with a decent descent including rock gardens and close trees) out back of Aireys Inlet, but must admit I've got lazy once we had a few hot days and have left it at home the last few weeks.

The chin bar is easy to remove and attach, but I don't like wearing a pack so I've never taken it on and off mid-ride. Faffing around with attaching and removing it from my Camelbak would be much more trouble than actually attaching it to the helmet. Will possibly do that at Buller.

Can only compare it to road/XC helmets. It's a bit hotter and heavier, but not enough to stop me wearing it.

Had tried a 2R in a shop but obvious pressure points on both sides of my head. A mate had already imported a 3R and the fit was much better for my head.

Another mate bought a (small) 2R (with MIPS) when Mountain Bikes Direct were clearing them out. He was happy with it until I told him how I found it had pressure points. Stuck in a traffic jam in the car on the way to You Yangs he put his on and decided it was uncomfortable in the same spots (ah, the power of suggestion!) I told him I'd read some 2R owners were removing two pieces of high density foam under the MIPS liner with success. Two minutes later I had two bits of foam stuck to my windscreen, and he's been happy with it since.

I'm a bit skeptical about the utility of MIPS in the real world, because I can't believe most helmets don't already twist considerably on impact. I like my helmets to be done up pretty tight, but even then it doesn't take much effort to move them considerably (especially because I've got lots of hair, which I'm guessing would have similar effects in terms of increasing rotational impact duration).

In terms of chin bar flex I wonder whether some people understand how a helmet is designed to work. Essentially it's main job is to decrease the forces on your head when coming to a stop, which I'd presume is primarily a combination of spreading the load evenly across your head and reducing the deceleration by deforming (a bit like the crumple zone in a car).

A helmet which deforms will increase the deceleration time (and thus reduce the force on your brain). A hypothetical 'solid' helmet, which didn't deform at all, would spread an impact across your head and stop surface grazing, but would not change the time it took to go from fast to zero, which is what I understand causes concussion and brain injuries. (I'm certainly no expert, and I can certainly envisage accidents where a very stiff chinbar might be preferable, but equally can imagine accidents when a flexy chinbar would be better)

moorey

call me Mia
Specifically the 3, or the bell convertible helmets generally?
Ok, tumbleweeds....
I like my non mips super 2r as a compromise. Perfect for something like the TransNZ, not wanting to take/carry 2 helmets.
That said, in open mode, it's not as light, cool or comfy as my regular lid. In FF mode, it's not as comfy or sturdy feeling as my regular FF.
Not a criticism. It is what it is and does it well. No proper stacks wearing it to report on its effectiveness.

teK--

Eats Squid
Ok, tumbleweeds....
I like my non mips super 2r as a compromise. Perfect for something like the TransNZ, not wanting to take/carry 2 helmets.
That said, in open mode, it's not as light, cool or comfy as my regular lid. In FF mode, it's not as comfy or sturdy feeling as my regular FF.
Not a criticism. It is what it is and does it well. No proper stacks wearing it to report on its effectiveness.
Yeah this.

I have a 2R and it's not cool enough with the chinpiece off for XC rides on hot days. I have a separate open face for those days.

And for shuttle days I use a proper full face.

Therefore it only suits those kinda halfway days where I don't even take the chin piece off; I just don't wear helmet at all on the climbs.

The giro switchblade looks suitable to replace my 2R and full face with one helmet. Would still need the Open face though as the switchblade looks hotter than the 2R.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Use a 2R mips.

Don't use the chinbar (might get one, but expensive to buy on their own) - ive got a full face that I use when I need chin protection.

It is a bit heavy and sweaty (compared to my other helmet which is a Specialized Tactic II) - but even in summer its still doesn't bother me enough to not use it.

Gives good protection and I like the bigger visor. I dont use goggles with it, just sunglasses.

For convertible helmets, I now actually like the look of the Giro switchblade more - but that might not be so fun in summer...

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I'm a bit skeptical about the utility of MIPS in the real world, because I can't believe most helmets don't already twist considerably on impact. I like my helmets to be done up pretty tight, but even then it doesn't take much effort to move them considerably (especially because I've got lots of hair, which I'm guessing would have similar effects in terms of increasing rotational impact duration).

In terms of chin bar flex I wonder whether some people understand how a helmet is designed to work. Essentially it's main job is to decrease the forces on your head when coming to a stop, which I'd presume is primarily a combination of spreading the load evenly across your head and reducing the deceleration by deforming (a bit like the crumple zone in a car).

A helmet which deforms will increase the deceleration time (and thus reduce the force on your brain). A hypothetical 'solid' helmet, which didn't deform at all, would spread an impact across your head and stop surface grazing, but would not change the time it took to go from fast to zero, which is what I understand causes concussion and brain injuries. (I'm certainly no expert, and I can certainly envisage accidents where a very stiff chinbar might be preferable, but equally can imagine accidents when a flexy chinbar would be better)
Chin bar flex not an issue for me. just observing. I'm all about the crumple zones, and whatever will hopefully smooth out the force curve and direct as much damaging force as possible - away from my head and brain is good.

teK--

Eats Squid
The airflow can only be better in the new one then I suppose...

Only thing stopped me from buying the old one is the eyeport is quite small making it hard to use most goggs