feedback on Bell super 3R MIPS helmet or the 2

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd dearly love a Switchblade, the look of them is really unique and old school cool.
My concern having extensively used a few 'trail' lids is the airflow/heat management.
I can't see how the Switchblade can breathe well enough for Australian conditions?

binner

Hath shat hymself
fleeing the country

I'd dearly love a Switchblade, the look of them is really unique and old school cool.
My concern having extensively used a few 'trail' lids is the airflow/heat management.
I can't see how the Switchblade can breathe well enough for Australian conditions?
It won't be used in Australia :rockon:

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I have a Bell Super 2R and mostly use it without the chin bar. I have used it as a full face only as well. I will be converting on rides from now on as the Enduro racing season starts soon and I will be prioritising going down :D

My mate tries on the Switchblade in medium at the LBS and said it would be a stinker of a lid without the chin bar, let alone with. I live in Perth, so location will obviously have a large bearing on this.

If I find I am going faster than I thought I would once I start racing, then I'd look at a full face that breathes. I don't want to ride without a helmet on the up hills as I've seen someone on a shuttle day do that, got caught on a rut climbing fell sideways and hit their head on a tall rock... A Met may be the solution for me in Perth due to the heat (I hate the heat).

mark22

Likes Dirt
I have 2x Super2R's 1 with mips one without both fit OK but notice the mips one is hotter, although the vents all line with the mips shell it covers the channels between the vents effectively rendering them pretty useless in the mips version.

binner

Hath shat hymself
held out at the right time

so after reading up on the 2 helmets I decided to wait for the FOX proframe to hit the shores of Aus and BAM! I bought one from good ol PUSHYS yesterday, trial fit is nice but cheek pads feel tight, may play with the different pad thicknesses on weekend ride....
overall its a sweet bit of kit and is FUGGIN light!!!

$300 bucks of realz noice

review to follow as always, non biased like the mags out there.

Attachments

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That looks pretty sweet. I often consider a full face upgrade to the newer more open styles. Do you feel it will offer enough protection for a not so extreme non racer on dh and Enduro rides?

dunndog

Eats Squid
I bought a red/black Super 2R with mips off Pushys, total price was about $149 delivered. Boom got one at the same time, though his is clearly the female version..
Previous to this my lid was a Bluegrass, and it is better than the Bell in every way except the versatility of the removable chin bar. The Bell is heavier and hotter, and is (was) hands down the worst helmet I've ever used for sweat just pouring straight down into my eyes. This problem was remedied by taking the removable silicon strip from the front of my bluegrass lid and fitting it into the Bell - the little velcro tabs make it interchangeable. With the strip in now it's totally fine to wear, but the bluegrass is definitely better.
With the chinbar in, i'm happy with the ventilation, fit and vision it offers. No problems at all with goggles (Smith and Thor), sunnies and nothing. Dragged it around the TransNZ for 5 days recently and had zero problems with it. Had a couple of good offs on it, one in particular gave the side and chinbar a workout down a bank and it performed as it should - no damage to me, light scuffs on helmet but definitely saved the face from some serious dirt and 'cornflake' impregnation in the beeches...
All up, it's a decent helmet once you sort out the sweat routing issue(it was a deal breaker for me), but if I'd paid $250 or more for it I'd have been pretty disappointed. Was perfect for something like the Transnz, but at home on regular duties i'll be pulling the bluegrass on, especially on warmer days.

Unless I'm wearing red gloves, then I'll just have to wear the red helmet..

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I bought a red/black Super 2R with mips off Pushys, total price was about $149 delivered. Boom got one at the same time, though his is clearly the female version..
I bought mine to match my Ardent.

The Bell is heavier and hotter, and is (was) hands down the worst helmet I've ever used for sweat just pouring straight down into my eyes.
No problem here but I don't go hard enough to sweat. I don't fart either.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
so after reading up on the 2 helmets I decided to wait for the FOX proframe to hit the shores of Aus and BAM! I bought one from good ol PUSHYS yesterday, trial fit is nice but cheek pads feel tight, may play with the different pad thicknesses on weekend ride....
overall its a sweet bit of kit and is FUGGIN light!!!

$300 bucks of realz noice

review to follow as always, non biased like the mags out there.
They look a lot nicer in those pics than the standard ones most shops are using ATM...handing out to try one before I hit the go button with pushys...by far the best price I can find anywhere

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i bought the super 3R, im really XC but am starting to like dipping my toes into runs like travs/cressy & places like buller or lake mountain..the chin bar is really to keep my wife happy.
have mostly used it as a normal xc helmet -am very happy with it, not too heavy & good ventiliation, i got blk & so far no problems -i find it quite comfortable [i have mostly had shit helmets or road giro ones]. fits me well as I am tall & skinny -helmet fitting isn't always easy [i have a long sloping chin/jaw]

only ridden the chin bar twice so far...am glad i bought eh 3 instead of 2, heard a couple of complaints the 2 can be pretty tight [read annoying] & they made a small improvement in the 3, yes its a tight fit but i presume you need that to make the chin bar worthwhile. had it on for about 2 hrs max on a warm day, going down is easy, did a couple of extended climbs & certainly notice the extra heat. i have big ears & its a squish getting it past them but is fine once on

the chin bar comes on/off vry easy, & i can carry it in a small roadie bike bag [one with 2 draw strings -with knee / elbow pads]. forgot mine is th MIPS one -havnt found out if it works yet. i big advantage was talking to soone not watching where i was going -would have got a massive smack in the mount from a branch -the chinbar caught it -huge whack that startled me but then i realised the chin bar took it all & i came off scott free

so far its a thumbs up form me

binner

Hath shat hymself
testing

ok, so this morning was the test at Bunya K on the new 2017 FOX PROFRAME helmet. Let me just start by saying the bag supplied to carry the helmet is one of the best made bags I've seen for a while. Soft , accommodating and oversize, a bit like a grimace chick................

ohhhhh hang on .. I have technical difficulties, just had some new information and feedback from intel....... will continue with review as soon as possible.

Mugger

Senir oMermber
ok, so this morning was the test at Bunya K on the new 2017 FOX PROFRAME helmet. Let me just start by saying the bag supplied to carry the helmet is one of the best made bags I've seen for a while. Soft , accommodating and oversize, a bit like a grimace chick................

ohhhhh hang on .. I have technical difficulties, just had some new information and feedback from intel....... will continue with review as soon as possible.

Nothing makes sense - ab lib first impressions by the man himself.

[video=youtube_share;8G6nX2PChPs]https://youtu.be/8G6nX2PChPs[/video]

binner

Hath shat hymself
its hot in here

.................ok so where was I, ahh yes. Lets just break this down to a simple Pros n Cons scenario..

Pros

> friggin syle plus
> bag is tops, best I have seen for a while
> enough optional pad thicknesses to sort out a good fit
> lots of talk on the trail "is that a chromag?"
> don't even know you are wearing it, it is so friggin light!
> jealous mates
> chicks dig it
> breathes nice, but in a Qld humid summer I think it will still be too hot, lucky its main use is for Squamish n Whistlekok
> MIPS and the easy magnetic chinstrap after you get the hang of it it is so fast to lock
> Peripheral vision is awesome, works with glasses easy

Cons

> hard to drink from camel pac with it on
> no Go Pro mount
> can't smoke a winnie red with it on
> will be too hot for humid hot day rides

will have a few more rides with it and report back for more informative information and when I have had my first big OFF with it on a trail.

For now I am saying buy up big, its a good bit of kit.