feedback on xtension xplore?

LoveB

Likes Dirt
ey all, I'm looking at purchasing an Xtension Xplore frame from beno (cycle solutions) next week cause my current HT frame is too big for me. Plus he gave me a good price on it..

It wont come with a rear shock so I'm looking for something to put on..

Also, when transferring parts from an HT to an FS frame, what should I look out for? are all the parts compatible? I remember reading somewhere that I need to find a specific FD/RD for an FS frame or something...

The parts I've got on the HT arent really high end. But it'll to for now while I save monies to upgrade it. Thanks!!

If its in the wrong section please move it.. Thanks!!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
ey all, I'm looking at purchasing an Xtension Xplore frame from beno (cycle solutions) next week cause my current HT frame is too big for me. Plus he gave me a good price on it..

It wont come with a rear shock so I'm looking for something to put on..

Also, when transferring parts from an HT to an FS frame, what should I look out for? are all the parts compatible? I remember reading somewhere that I need to find a specific FD/RD for an FS frame or something...

The parts I've got on the HT arent really high end. But it'll to for now while I save monies to upgrade it. Thanks!!

If its in the wrong section please move it.. Thanks!!
Those Xplore frames look very similar to the Giant NRS. Is it the XC or the heavier duty version?

Shock wise, I don't think you can go past the Fox Float RP23 or the Rock Shox Monarch. I personally use an Rock Shox MC3.3 which offers open, locked and floodgate settings - this last setting allows you to dial in how much 'bump' is needed to actually enguage the shock (in simplistic terms). Fox's 'Pro Pedal' functions very similarly but has 3 separate preset settings (as opposed to RS which allows you to dial in anywhere between 'Open' and 'Closed'). That is, assuming it's the XC version...

Switching your parts over should be too hard. The main areas where you might struggle are;

• Your headset (The Xtension appears to have a zero stack semi-integrated headset - check this against your hardtail)
  • Front derailleur clamp size
  • Bottom Bracket (both the spindle and shell lengths)
  • Seat Post Dia.

Maybe get in contact with beno and see if he can give you the specs on the frame (ie. seat post dia and what front derailleur cage dia. will be needed).

Nothing specific to dual suspention frames in terms of derailleurs - you'd probably want a low mount top swing front derailleur if you don't already have one just so it fits under the lower shock mount.

Good luck!

Last edited:

LoveB

Likes Dirt
Indeed. I'll swing by his shop this coming week to see the frame etc. Might just sell my whole HT and rebuild the bike. it'll take a while but it should be good!