Feet going painfully numb when descending

Jpez

Down on the left!
Pretty sure the Pivot Les is not a women's specific frame, it is a hardtail.
I think the name is a play on words: pivotless i.e. no rear suspension.

EDIT: back on topic. I only ever had issues with my feet when using shoes that weren't stiff enough...
Ah righto. It came up in a list of women’s mtb.

Back on topic. I’ve got some basic Freeriders with really soft soles. I get discomfort if I ride in those but am fine in the much stiffer but still flexible Northwave shoes.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yes I do kind of agree, maybe women like it? As a bloke I can't really comment, I'll ask my wife lol
Not many brands do womens specific bikes now anyway.
Good point! Who am I to ‘mansplain’ on the names! Let me know what she says. I’m curious.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
That's the plan!
The Rumor is getting a bit out dated and she'd like to learn to jump and hit rougher terrain more comfortably, so a new bike it is. Finding a new small framed bike is the challenge at the moment.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Completely off topic but why (don’t answer that it’s rhetorical) are women specific MTB names so naff??? Spec Rumour , Giant/Liv Tempt, Intrigue, Embolden, Pique, Scott Contessa. Sounds like the marketing department used a Mills &Boon novel for inspiration!
There’s even a Pivot Les. Are the ‘boys’ at Pivot head office having a laff with that one? I’d refuse to ride one of these stupidly named bikes just out of principal if I was a woman.
And the increased price point for being a gender specific bike.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
That's the plan!
The Rumor is getting a bit out dated and she'd like to learn to jump and hit rougher terrain more comfortably, so a new bike it is. Finding a new small framed bike is the challenge at the moment.
I've got a 2012 15.5" Trek Slash frame, it is 26" but you could mullet the front if you're interested in building something for her.

Stredda

Oneup composites are fairly convex and are also some of the pedals I used to get sore feet with ;)
The funny thing that she never got numb feet for years and has had the same old pedals the whole time, it's only the last few months that have given her issues.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
No idea but worth looking into.
Please do. I have explored cheap and exxy options. I have tried the specialized insoles (about $60) and medium suits me ok, but I tend to ride with G8 adjustable insoles ($180ish), where you can vary the level of arch support, and placement underfoot.
A custom orthotic for cycling shoes is a level of goldplating I don't wish to go, and don't think would improve things. (IMO, for me. YMMV)
for my street shoes, I have gone through 2 stupidly expensive orthotics, and now use Remind brand skate/snowboard insoles in all my shoes, as they seem to work better, IMO.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Weird that it's only a recent issue, definitely sounds like it's worth a trip to the podiatry/GP to check if there are any underlying issues.

Just for the sake of conversation while i'm thinking about it, side profiles of some popular pedals top to bottom:
  • OneUp Composite
  • Deity Deftrap
  • CrankBros Stamp
  • Deity TMac

Stredda

Weird that it's only a recent issue, definitely sounds like it's worth a trip to the podiatry/GP to check if there are any underlying issues.

Just for the sake of conversation while i'm thinking about it, side profiles of some popular pedals top to bottom:
  • OneUp Composite
  • Deity Deftrap
  • CrankBros Stamp
  • Deity TMac
View attachment 384779
Thanks that's interesting to know.

Stredda

New socks? I have one pair of socks that looks identical to the rest of my socks, but slightly thicker - every time I wear them I get numb feet on the bike.

(That reminded me I just went and found them and threw them out)
Surely she wouldn't have happened to be wearing the same pair of socks but you never know lol.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
* not a Dr *
drink more water , could be circulation issue - esp as it has recently started .
also look into diet ,ie energy drinks , fatty stuff and alcohol.

never know as we age - different things going on - and yes I’m old .

Sadly beer , really knocks me around and protein bars literally made me shit myself
this is a recent development … hahahahahaha

ps , hope you find a resolution