Fiji

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all, heading to Fiji soon & will take the bike if there's any ST to be had.

Google is giving me nothing inspiring, perhaps someone out there has had some first hand experience.

Staying near the Koroyanitu NP.

Not looking good at this stage but I do have the option of taking a gravel bike if the only option is to do some back road kms, if only to escape the inlaws for a bit.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I’ve been to Fiji twice and did a bit of research into this. There are some nice looking hills around but not really publicised trails that I could find.

The roads are poor and drivers chaotic. Would not feel safe riding on the roads based upon my experience, and I ride a lot of road kms.

I reckon you’d have to track down a commercial mtb tour operator to find something worthwhile (if such a thing exists). People are lovely, scenery awesome. My advice is pack the boardies and enjoy the beach and cocktails. Forget about the bike !

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks creaky, I suspected this might be the response.

I've found a couple of tour operators but their thing looks more like 'riding a bike, but not on the road' than MTB.

Looks like the place has so much potential

goose_007

Likes Dirt
Get in contact with “captain jack” who is a jet boat driver for these guys http://sigatokariver.com/
I general travel to Fiji every couple of years. Next time around I will be taking a bike with me and captain jack will show me some nearby trails to sigatoga.

teK--

Eats Squid
Personally I would never go back to Fiji let alone take my bike there. The locals are very nice but there is a high immigrant/refugee population which we just did not feel safe amongst.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Personally I would never go back to Fiji let alone take my bike there. The locals are very nice but there is a high immigrant/refugee population which we just did not feel safe amongst.
Did anything happen to promote this feeling? Planning on taking the family over there this year.

teK--

Eats Squid
Yeah we got swarmed by heaps of them at the markets and basically they wouldnt let us leave until we bought something. Also the constant stares. We've been to several countries where the populace are quite poor and never felt so unsafe. As I said though the natives were fine we hung out with some in their village etc.