Films with better sequels

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
My wife and I enjoy watching a lot of films together and we often have differing opinions. For example, she believes that Terminator 2 is better than the original, which I disagree with.

Last night I was watching Lethal Weapon and came to the conclusion that Lethal Weapon 2 is better than 1 and I started to make a mental list of films where the sequel was better than the original.

My list is quite short so I thought I would ask the fine people on RB.

• Lethal Weapon 2 > Lethal Weapon 1
  • Rambo: First Blood > First Blood part 2
  • Godfather 2 > Godfather 1
  • Rocky 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 < 5 < 6
  • Aliens < Alien
  • Revenge of the Nerds 2 > 1

I couldn't decide if the whole Back to the Future part 2 film was actually better than part one. The futuristic scenes are cool, but overall, I lean towards 1 being a better flick.

Other franchises my wife and I discussed:

Jurassic Park, Ironman, Captain America, Fast and Furious, Starwars, Weekend at Bernies, Major League, Mighty Ducks, Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Lethal Weapon 5

[video=youtube;wjhV1DavSRM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhV1DavSRM[/video]

Beej1

Opinions will vary obviously, but for me some instances where the 'second is better than first' are:
Captain America Winter Soldier > Captain American First Avenger
The Incredible Hulk > Hulk (though these were both origin films so it doesn't really count)
Force 10 from Navarone > Guns of Navarone (contentious)

Some mix-it-up multi movies:
Last Crusade > Raiders of the Lost Ark > Temple of Doom > that UFO bullshit
Empire Strikes Back > A New Hope > Return of the Jedi & All 3 prequels
Undiscovered Country > Wrath of Khan > Search for Spock > Voyage Home > Star Trek The Motion Picture > Final Frontier
Alien > Aliens == Alien 3 > Alien Resurrection > Promeaningless
Pitch Black > Riddick > Chronicles of Riddick
Fast & the Furious > ... aah who cares, they're all equally terrible but still watchable

And some too hard to decide or close to call:
Batman Begins == The Dark Knight == The Dark Knight Rises (also contentious since most think TDK takes the win thanks to Ledgers awesome Joker, but as Batman films, they're about equal to me)
Back to the Future == Back to the Future 2 == Back to the Future 3

But what's clear more than anything else is:
Matrix > Matrix Reloaded == Matrix Revolutions

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The few sequels I rate more than the originals are as follows.

Aliens > Alien (it's close, Alien is a masterpiece in suspense but Aliens had space marines)
Dark Knight > Batman Begins
Godfather 2 > Godfather
Dawn of the Dead > Night of the Living Dead
World War 2 > World War 1

Sic

Likes Dirt
[QUOTE
[/QUOTE]

Im sorry but if you put Aliens and Alien 3 in the same level of quality you are out of your mind.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Wtf! No mention of terminator!

Terminator 2 better is all respects than T1

A New Hope is not a movie, it's Star Wars

aliens is the equal of alien if not better

Toy story 2

Indiana jones and the temple of doom

Last edited:

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
grown ups 2 -grown ups
die hard 4 3 2 1
taken 2- taken
For me it is Die Hard,Vengeance,Live Free,Die Harder, Haven't seen the Russia one yet

And I think you deserve a round of applause for actually watching Grown Ups 2 after seeing part 1. You are a braver man/woman than me.

And I don't have a unique set of skills because I haven't seen either taken's.

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
[QUOTE
Im sorry but if you put Aliens and Alien 3 in the same level of quality you are out of your mind.[/QUOTE]

This. For sure.

Can any one comment on Free Willy vs Free Willy 2?

And if anyone says Shrek 2+ is better then I say you're FITH.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Wtf! No mention of terminator!

Terminator 2 better is all respects than T1

A New Hope is not a movie, it's Star Wars

aliens is the equal of alien if not better

Toy story 2

Indiana jones and the temple of doom
Stop talking shite. The Terminator was pure hardcore menace. Moody as fuck and violent as all hell with at least 3 Aliens cast members squaring up against a genuinely scary cyborg Arnie.

Terminator 2 had an annoying little shit playing John Connor, PG levels of violence, Arnie hamming it up saying shit like "I know now why you cry", "I need a vacation" and doing that stupid thumbs up thing when he gets lowered into the furnace. Johnny 5 from 'Short Circuit' was a more badass and intimidating robot!

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
Stop talking shite. The Terminator was pure hardcore menace. Moody as fuck and violent as all hell with at least 3 Aliens cast members squaring up against a genuinely scary cyborg Arnie.

Terminator 2 had an annoying little shit playing John Connor, PG levels of violence, Arnie hamming it up saying shit like "I know now why you cry", "I need a vacation" and doing that stupid thumbs up thing when he gets lowered into the furnace. Johnny 5 from 'Short Circuit' was a more badass and intimidating robot!
Amen brother!