Finally Free

Martins

Likes Bikes
So i have finally finished my degree and have time to seriously get outdoors. past few days have been on the beach, but i want to ride.

so im looking to get a 2011 bike. Not really sure what im after. Most of it will be hardpacked riding. Im heading bush next year to work. So mainly country trails dirt/bitumen/ not many rocks. BUt im also wanting to buy a decent bike that i can justify fixing, upgrading and so on.

so looking at a few models, feel free to mention others.

Giant XTC
Giant XTC 2 29er (some reviews about issues with breaks?)
Specialized Rockhopper Comp.

Will be after a 21" and wanting to stay under $1800, because i need to buy lights and shoes.

Martins

Likes Bikes
what do i base my decision on? Im not up on knowing whats quality parts over others. Like i could spend a day with all the shops reps.....show them all the specs and see what they think?

Hooch

Likes Bikes
no pedals means yes you buy your own. this is standard as everyone has a different idea of what type of pedal and company they prefer.
Have a look around and find a bike that you are comfortable riding. Also keep in mind after sales support some shops have great support some don't.
are you after a dually or HT as 1800 dollars will buy you a pretty reasonably specced hardtail but not so a dually.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does it have to be a new bike?

For such a budget I'd strongly recommend looking second hand, there's some great bargains. With a bit of searching you'd be able to find some XT componentry, Reba forks etc.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Does it have to be a new bike?

For such a budget I'd strongly recommend looking second hand, there's some great bargains. With a bit of searching you'd be able to find some XT componentry, Reba forks etc.
Good advice. I got my XTC second hand from a guy in the Gong who purchased it, rode it for a week and decided it was the wrong size. I picked it up for LESS than half the retail.
It came decked out with some XT and some deore stuff as standard but a great deal.

Keep your eyes peeled.
BTW if your'e looking for a secondhand XTC they used to come in 19, 20, 21 inch, but they canned that system along with the 19" frames and I think they may now have a (please correct me if I'm wrong) S, M, L, XL sizing system instead.

I don't know how they correspond to the old frame inch sizing so if you fit an XL in a current model at your local, but you decide to buy an older one that uses the inches system you'll know how to get your giant sizing right.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BTW if your'e looking for a secondhand XTC they used to come in 19, 20, 21 inch, but they canned that system along with the 19" frames and I think they may now have a (please correct me if I'm wrong) S, M, L, XL sizing system instead.

I don't know how they correspond to the old frame inch sizing so if you fit an XL in a current model at your local, but you decide to buy an older one that uses the inches system you'll know how to get your giant sizing right.
I think the sizing is still quite similiar/standard, I have an XTC C1 from a few years back and it is a 'XL-21"'.