Finally my new Reign

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
It's taken me 9 months to get back to where I started from. January 31st this year I thought I'd do something really smart and smash my collar bone so I had to stop riding and decided to sell my Reign. I loved the bike and didn't really want to sell but it was good to have the extra money as I wasn't working and if I had the bike still around, I would have got back on it way to soon. When I was all fixed up and the doc said I was good to go, I started looking for a new bike just to get rolling again but couldn't find anything I wanted to ride that was small. I finally got my hands on a Scott Voltage Fr10 and couldn't wait to ride again. Took it for one ride and realised it wasn't for me. Great bike but it sounded like a filing cabinet and was a pig to ride uphill because I was so unfit. The only bike I wanted was another Reign so I sold the Scott, scraped together the rest of the money and finally got back the bike I wish I never sold. Not really worried about top of the line components but it is such a good deal for what you get. The only thing I've changed so far are the grips, the front chain ring and giant flat DH pedals. Everything else is stock. Will set it up tubeless when I get time. Now I just need to find the time to ride.

Attachments

beejay

Likes Dirt
Awesome man. Glad you've healed and got back on the reign.
I'm 2 weeks off from finally finishing my build of a 2015 reign (been going on for almost a year)
Can't wait to hit up the trails. Enjoy that sweet looking rig, and the 2016 colour scheme is awesome.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
Fuck that's yellow. Giant 2016 seems to be stepping away from the 'safer' colours of years gone by.

Looks like there's a bit of cable slack below the BB, not worried that's going to snag something off the trail?

Last edited:

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
Looks great one of the best looking colourways of 2016 Giant MTBs
I customised the colour by puting matte black strips around the blue highlights just to break up the brightness and so it doesn't look the same as every other reign out there. This is how it looked originally.

Attachments

teK--

Eats Squid
Looks good post up some close up pics of your line eding work.

How are you finding the latest iteration of the Giant dropper post; have you used the earlier version? If so have they addressed the design/issue whereby picking up bike by the saddle causes the post to extend (without pressing the lever) ?

FLOYD1

Likes Dirt
Reign Cable Rub

Nice, Just a quick tip , Zip tie the gear cable under the bottom bracket so it will not rub on the BB when fully compressed and rub a groove on your BB, I have a 3 month old Reign and it has rubbed a substantial groove already, Common problem on all reigns

Deano

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice, Just a quick tip , Zip tie the gear cable under the bottom bracket so it will not rub on the BB when fully compressed and rub a groove on your BB, I have a 3 month old Reign and it has rubbed a substantial groove already, Common problem on all reigns

Deano
It's a common problem on all duallies. Need to make sure your brake line and RD cable has a generous length, and test with no shock pressure that they won't contact the BB!

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
New dropper seems the same as the old one. Never had a problem wih the old one. I picked my bike up using the top tube.

Never had a problem with cable rub on my '15 Reign. I had enough clearance so the cables didn't rub.

Some close ups of the striping.

Attachments

teK--

Eats Squid
Looks great is that just pinstriping decal? I wonder how it will hold up to washing brushes etc will all the corners lift up.

New dropper seems the same as the old one. Never had a problem wih the old one. I picked my bike up using the top tube.

Never had a problem with cable rub on my '15 Reign. I had enough clearance so the cables didn't rub.

Some close ups of the striping.

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
Looks great is that just pinstriping decal? I wonder how it will hold up to washing brushes etc will all the corners lift up.
It's just standard vinyl cut into strips. It the same vinyl that's used for lettering on cars and signs and it should last a while and not peel. If it does, I can just do it again in a different colour.

slowmick

38-39"
The pin striping makes all the difference to the colour scheme sir. Awesome attention to detail. :thumb:

HindleJ

Squid
The black pinstriping you have done looks fantastic mate well done.
These are such a good bike, so you think you will do anything more?
I upgraded the brakes on mine which i felt needed it ( I am heavy so bikes don't slow down as well haha)

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
The black pinstriping you have done looks fantastic mate well done.
These are such a good bike, so you think you will do anything more?
I upgraded the brakes on mine which i felt needed it ( I am heavy so bikes don't slow down as well haha)
Apart from going tubeless, I'm going to leave it as is. I like the deore components. Cheap and simple like me and do their job. I'm only a light weight and don't like using brakes so no need to upgrade.