Finished! Pink/Purple Single Track Eater...

SummitFever

Eats Squid
At least that's what my daughter's named her new bike. My girls are big fans of singletrack, so they have consistently had some pretty good bikes with 20" wheel sizes and up. What they have never had is anything that remotely looks like a "girls" bike. I personally don't give a crap for what something looks like. For me its always function over form and so my girls have had to suffer red bikes, blue bikes, red and blue bikes, mis-matched components, you name it. When it comes to aesthetics, I'm a bad dad, but the plus side for my girls is they ride one-of-a-kind lightweight bikes with custom tuned suspension and components not available in any shop.

For the latest bike, that's about to change. My daughter chose a colour, we fired up the sand blasting cabinet and have gone to town on a host of purple bits. This thing may actually end up looking like its got a female owner...

I'm using a medium Anthem X0 frame. All up should weigh less than 9.5kg ready to ride. Current estimate is 9.35kg, but there's always a few little things here and there that add up to an extra 100g.

Where are you guys getting your purple crap from? Now that I'm on the colour matching path, I want things to be perfect. Purple anno from different manufacturers seems to result in different shades of purple, which I think ends up looking worse than no purple at all.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Buy Chops' Yeti, he's desperate, then rape it for the ano parts. Looking like a bonza project George. Subscribed :thumb:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Just checked out Chop's Yeti. It does look like he's bought every purple anno bit known to man...

Eldest daughter also helped out to build her new rear wheel. Total weight: 685g.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
www.torontocycles.com has a large range, doesn't list everything in all the colours but will do them.
i bought a bunch of purple shit from him not too long ago. all the alloy matches, just the titanium which differs which is understandable.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Looking to take on a 'mature aged' son?:behindsofa:
If you ride, I consider you family.

www.torontocycles.com has a large range, doesn't list everything in all the colours but will do them.
i bought a bunch of purple shit from him not too long ago. all the alloy matches...
Nice. A while ago I got a stack of red anno stuff and it quickly turned pink and now is pretty much just raw alu colour. How is the purple holding up? I may just stick with black.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Offset shock bushing arrived today. Drops the BB by about 15mm, 120mm fork raises it around 8mm, so slightly lower BB and a 69 deg head angle.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Offset shock bushing arrived today. Drops the BB by about 15mm, 120mm fork raises it around 8mm, so slightly lower BB and a 69 deg head angle.

Why the 120mm fork? I would have thought something really short would be better for fitting, or are you trying to make it a bit more forgiving to ride?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Why the 120mm fork?
Its what I've got spare. I really like the 120mm SID on my Anthem X. I may put some all travel spacers and reduce its travel down to 100mm if the bike ends up too high in the front end. The 120mm SID's are a much plusher fork than the 100mm versions and combined with the RCT3 damper make for a package that is easier to tune for lighter rider (there's really no tuning options in the XX, RLC or RL dampers).

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers Rod. I'll be running a 28t front chainring initially. A 32t will probably be too big for the riding we do. A 28t x 9t rear should give a flat cruising speed of around 30+km/h so that will be enough top end.
I'm guessing its also a weight thing. What you need is an 11-32 XTR cassette for the poor little dear. :drama:

Whats the 9-28, is it a screw on freehub? How do you get down to a 9t? Me wantee...

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
**Subscribed**

Sounds like a sweet project, I'll take atleast one (maybe two, will find out later today) :thumb:

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The gearing on this bike will use a "capreo" style cassette/freehub. This is something the $hitmano guys have been doing for a long time before XX1 and the XD driver. I think they came up with it for bikes with small (20" etc.) wheels to get enough top end without needing a 60t front chainring. The freehub is smaller on the end to fit the 9t and 10t gears. Shimano makes non-disc hubs for this system, but disc hubs are difficult to find. I had to specially order a lightweight hub from a Chinese manufacturer, but if weight isn't an issue then Canfield do a hub.

The cassette is a Recon 9-36t cassette. The 3 smallest cogs are steel and the 7 largest are machined from a single chunk of aluminium. The jury is out on how long this cassette will last, and I'll keep this thread updated as my daughter puts some kms on the setup. She only averages around 20-30km of singletrack a week, so I'm hoping it will last a couple of years.

The real advantage with the capreo style freehub is you can get a wide range 9 speed setup by using the bottom 4 gears from a capreo cassette and the big gears from an 11-34 cassette. This gives you a 9t-34t 9 speed setup. Capreo cassettes are only about $45 off ebay, so for less than $100 you can put together a 9-34t cassette and you get to run a smaller front sprocket for more clearance than using an 11-42t cassette.

No Skid Marks is the go to man for the Recon cassettes and Canfield stuff.