Fire Warnings

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
When exactly was this? We have been evacuated due to bushfire two out of the last three years. I think you made it worse, you bloody Greenie.
Umm. Would have been 2009 I think... Maybe 2010.

And maybe, undergrowth sure springs back quickly after a burn :)

moorey

call me Mia
My apologies for going off topic in this, the most serious of threads.

I’m constantly astounded by the amount of people who opine that...(depending on your location)
-droughts are getting worse
-floods are getting worse
-fires are getting more intense
-rivers are drying up
-it’s getting hotter
-it’s getting colder.

...But say climate scientists are all wrong, ‘global warming’ is a hoax etc, because they know better. It’s all a conspiracy to clean up the world and make the planet healthier.

As I’ve read it, we could halt, and reverse climate change today if we committed to. It’s only a matter of doing it, we have the technology, but there’s not the political will to actually do it.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
As I’ve read it, we could halt, and reverse climate change today if we committed to. It’s only a matter of doing it, we have the technology, but there’s not the political will to actually do it.
Policy mostly comes from external forces - be they economic indicators or big business whisperings or communal messages.

We need to send a communal message to politicians that they will be voted out unless they bring in CC regulation.

But good luck with that.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I think he wants to ferret around in his pockets to buy some physics manipulation...

Plonker gets a voice because he pays for it.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
NSW Department of Primary Industry and Environment has a contract with government to deliver a certain percentage of hazard reduction burning each year. This percentage is not allowed to include what is taken by wildfire (like the million or so hectares thus far this year).

HR burning can only happen under very specific climactic conditions...mostly so they don't become wildfires. But also so they don't kill asthmatics and the elderly.

It also requires 'quite a lot of resources'. The lack of growth in funding, departmental restructures and staff freezes don't really help with the resources thing...

As a result, there's quite a few areas that should be burnt that aren't, quite few areas that shouldn't be burnt that are at least attempted and a whole stack of landscape that is claimed to be burnt but is merely singed in a meaningless way. Although some of that last category actually burnt quite well this year I'm told....

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
How much did the cut from the RFS last year, $15m or something I think. A cut anyway, not a boost in budget...

mark22

Likes Dirt
Things are fine (to date) on our side of the range. A mere handful of kilometers away over the hills though, it's putrid, homes lost, needless to say a lot of animals in harms way but no one reported to be hurt or dead. Some of the warnings have been considered way over the top but I don't agree, you're better off warned than not.
Basically, the big fire west of Coffs Harbour; known as the Liberation Trail fire is forest and bushland with small rural towns and random properties. No disrespect to those areas of course but if that bad boy gets over that range we'll have big losses of homes and lives. As it is right now though with the change in wind direction, we're on alert on this side of the range and sitting pretty, fingers crossed.

While I think of it, there's a lot of local chat about "the fuckers need to backburn this shit". There's so much that can be said about bushfires and many people looking from the outside in who say stuff but truth is, forests and bushland are flammable,really flammable. You can chuck some containment in to protect certain areas but you ain't never gonna enough to prevent a bushfire. Oh except for completely obliterating said forest with....................an out of control bushfire. Lets be real, you jump on a plane or hell, just drive a car from Sydney to Brisbane and you'll see that the suggestion of backburning to stop these fires is a pretty vague assumption and a monumental task that would probably turn out to be a catastrophic fuck up that creates a new hazard anyway. Sucks to say it but we've all got to manage this with cool heads and stop trying to find a way to blame someone or something. I'm actually sick of seeing the shitty memes people put on social media saying it's a politicians fault or a greenies fault or a farmer's dog's fault etc etc, it doesn't help anything and it doesn't prevent anything. Lets deal with what we have and enjoy the great things we have.
Some valid points here, last year's summer was pretty dry in SE Qld and this year our storm season was dry hence the fires. Most urbane people's answer is fuel reduction burns and totally ignore the size of the country in which we live, it's a monumental/impossible task.
Another reason why urbane folk are impacted ocaissionly is we have developments where there was bush before and the bush is pretty close to the the homes. Most folk I talk to get their information on the environment from the guff on tv/social media and have no idea on real rural issues, it's always someone's fault.
Drought, fires, floods and cyclones seem to be put down as abnormal weather events now, folk have such short memories.
To keep this event in perspective 173 died in the black Saturday fires and 2000+ houses destroyed and that was not long ago. Every godam event is the worst that's ever been now.