Fire Warnings

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We need an expanded Bradfield style scheme. A water pipeline along the great divide and across to the west. Mitigate floods and droughts. Big pipeline. Big pumps.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
And yet we desperately need huge carbon sinks to assist in dealing with CC.

Thinning a forest & burning the product sends us in the wrong direction, and creates a greater fire danger atmosphere.
The best carbon sinks in the world are cool temperate, wet sclerophyll old growth forests. We've trashed nearly all of it but by thinning regrowth where it once stood we can restore them quicker. Thinning forests can be carbon neutral, although with a slight lag because it allows the remaining trees to grow bigger and quicker. When done properly holes in the canopy fill quickly as the remaining trees spread, trunks grow fatter to support the weight of the larger canopy and you're on you way to restoring the original ecosystem although you still have to wait a long while for hollows to form.

Have a look at some 15 year old regrowth, you cant walk through it because of the density of pathetic thin trees and the amount of fallen crap. It's just about monoculture, the understory of fire retardent plants doesn't exist. These forest will burn long before they can restore themselves but with some intervention there is a chance of restoring the original ecosystem.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The best carbon sinks in the world are cool temperate, wet sclerophyll old growth forests. We've trashed nearly all of it but by thinning regrowth where it once stood we can restore them quicker. Thinning forests can be carbon neutral, although with a slight lag because it allows the remaining trees to grow bigger and quicker. When done properly holes in the canopy fill quickly as the remaining trees spread, trunks grow fatter to support the weight of the larger canopy and you're on you way to restoring the original ecosystem although you still have to wait a long while for hollows to form.

Have a look at some 15 year old regrowth, you cant walk through it because of the density of pathetic thin trees and the amount of fallen crap. It's just about monoculture, the understory of fire retardent plants doesn't exist. These forest will burn long before they can restore themselves but with some intervention there is a chance of restoring the original ecosystem.
We don't have time.

Science says we can't afford any more fires.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Thinning a forest & burning the product sends us in the wrong direction, and creates a greater fire danger atmosphere.
If you turn the product into biochar and bury it as a fertiliser then you go some way to creating carbon sinks. It's nowhere near a solution but its better then 6 months of uncontrolled bushfires every year.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
We need an expanded Bradfield style scheme. A water pipeline along the great divide and across to the west. Mitigate floods and droughts. Big pipeline. Big pumps.
Believe it or not, this still gets floated as a serious idea...

Freediver

I can go full Karen
We don't have time.

Science says we can't afford any more fires.
So let's make our regrowth as resilient to fire as quick as we can. When regrowth that isn't old enough to set seed burns it doesn't come back. When dense regrowth burns every tree is lost and becomes CO2. Old Growth doesn't burn with anywhere near the intensity and most trees live, that's how it gets to stay old growth.
By thinning we can get the forest more representative of old growth.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
So let's make our regrowth as resilient to fire as quick as we can. When regrowth that isn't old enough to set seed burns it doesn't come back. When dense regrowth burns every tree is lost and becomes CO2. Old Growth doesn't burn with anywhere near the intensity and most trees live, that's how it gets to stay old growth.
By thinning we can get the forest more representative of old growth.
Can't afford to burn...anything any more.

Check out the CC modelling, we are up shit creek.

The only solution we have left for fires is no fires. The end.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.

Bettter tell coneco Phillips to stop giving $1million a year to the NT rangers that are setting half of Arnhem Land on fire then....

Oddjob

Can't afford to burn...anything any more.

Check out the CC modelling, we are up shit creek.

The only solution we have left for fires is no fires. The end.
And I'm a unicorn with sherbert flavoured poo!

Oddjob

PS Once you've solved the Australian bushfire problem, I've got a couple of other jobs for you.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Your unicorn picture exemplifies my thoughts on your forest thinning programme.

We don't have time for any forest thinning programme. It's fucking hard. I have trouble thinning my own property.

As far as I can tell, all we can do it address FF emissions urgently & try to suppress fires better than we do today.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Your unicorn picture exemplifies my thoughts on your forest thinning programme.

We don't have time for any forest thinning programme. It's fucking hard. I have trouble thinning my own property.

As far as I can tell, all we can do it address FF emissions urgently & try to suppress fires better than we do today.
You can’t suppress fires the size of of European countries.
Have you ever seen or been involved with large scale back burning?
It’s hard because you don’t know what you’re doing.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I'm trying to find the article from peeps who know about bushfires in Straya & their recommendations for a new approach - far better fire monitoring than we have now and immediate response with aircraft & the like.

Can't find the damn article now.

[edit] Found it:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...o-stop-megafires-forming-bushfire-experts-say

“It is not possible to ‘adapt’ to such catastrophic and escalating conditions, and they can only be partially mitigated,” said the submission, compiled by former commissioner of Fire and Rescue NSW, Greg Mullins.

“The failure of successive governments at all levels to show leadership and take credible, urgent action on the basic causal factor – greenhouse gas emissions from the burning of coal, oil and gas – will lead to further escalation in natural disaster risks.”

The submission recommended Australia develop a network of sensing technologies to detect fires in remote areas earlier, and then employ a “fast attack” approach to put them out.

Australia should trial a purpose-built water bombing aircraft long-used in other countries that can scoop up water and “achieve rapid turnaround and constant direct attack on fire fronts”.

Mullins told Guardian Australia a range of early detection technologies could be used to detect new fires, including remote cameras, satellite images and spotter flights.
And this:

“We detect a worrying consistency in the themes explored and repetitiveness in the recommendations made,” Hogan-Doran said. “This is no time to reinvent the wheel.”
This is reinventing the wheel:

Which brings me back to my original point - invest in expensive, partially used aircraft. So fucking what if costs a bomb.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Spending is the only answer. Not spending is going to expensive anyway. Would be nice to prioritise our spending better.

We can raise funds the Australian way - a bbq. A special bbq of endangered animals! Prepared over a the coals of the finest Australian hardwoods.