Fire Warnings

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
And now our games begin...

A fire started this morning in the neighbouring nature reserve as a result of a dry lightning storm yesterday afternoon. Only 10km to the north of our place.

Had a visit from the local firies advising that waterbombers will be flying over soon. Me and the lads have gone to the town pool!

Winds are in our favour today... tomorrow, not so much.

silentbutdeadly

Look on the bright side, you get to find stuff that's been missing for ages.

View attachment 358735

Seriously though, all the best with it. 10kms is not far, start preparing now.
We are as prepared as we can be but to be honest the house is not yet totally defendable despite our best efforts.

The previous owner left it with too many gaps that we've not been able to fully plug as yet.

Add to that the fact that we've little more than 10,000 litres of water on hand, M'lady is working at fire control and I have three lads 10 and under in my care...I'm not sure how much fire fighting I can practically do. Leaving is on the agenda...

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
We are as prepared as we can be but to be honest the house is not yet totally defendable despite our best efforts.

The previous owner left it with too many gaps that we've not been able to fully plug as yet.

Add to that the fact that we've little more than 10,000 litres of water on hand, M'lady is working at fire control and I have three lads 10 and under in my care...I'm not sure how much fire fighting I can practically do. Leaving is on the agenda...
Leaving could be a good idea. Last week I thought I was prepared but when the southerly arrived it was of little comfort. Days of prep and a garden hose wouldn't have done much if here were embers coming at me at 70kph. I sent the kids away and had an escape plan but still pretty scary.

moorey

call me Mia

Prepare to leave early. If it comes to that, your garden hose won’t do squat in heavy ember attack, heat and high winds.
I know you know this. I’m just saying be smart, and remember you’re more use to your family alive. Fingers crossed for you all.

silentbutdeadly

It's supposedly a grass fire, according to RFS, and looks like it's just South of The Pilliga, which isn't good. Good luck mate.
She's no grass fire...

The wrinkle is that the fuel is patchy and the valleys that it is in do weird things to the wind. The proper test is what happens today under the stronger north & north westerly.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Prepare to leave early. If it comes to that, your garden hose won’t do squat in heavy ember attack, heat and high winds.
I know you know this. I’m just saying be smart, and remember you’re more use to your family alive. Fingers crossed for you all.
100% agree with this. The house is replaceable, even the stuff inside and the memories, it’s all replaceable. Family members are not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk