Fire Warnings

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Like a lot of Australian macrofauna, the koala was doomed 150 years ago...it has just taken a long while to get around to actually dying out.

Australia: Managing The Decline... Gracefully?
Yeah very few realise this, we are only now starting to grasp that this country can't support these practices indefinitely.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Yeah very few realise this, we are only now starting to grasp that this country can't support these practices indefinitely.
We never really could.

We used to giggle quietly about saving the Malleefowl. Given that all it is left with is the least favourable Mallee habitat and soil types in terms of agricultural production since mechanised farming came about.... success is unlikely. There are many similar tales in this game...

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
yeah the animation gives an idea of the scale of the problems and how quickly they spread on bad fire days.
I have used Glyphosate for years + we use it to clean up mtbike tracks.i just assume all herbicides are bad for your health.
Bloke in US who won money for cancer seemed to use it too regularly + recklessly.
Pros = cheap breaks down in soils, kills everything, fast acting ,effective in low doses , has saved lots of soil erosion due to cropping direct drilling
Cons=Monsanto were bastards,non selective herbicide, not marketed originally w warnings so dumb people didn't wash their hands + inhaled it.
Agree worst carcinogens IMO are smoking , XS alcohol,barbequed burnt meat,sugar+ junk foods causing obesity.
Fattest person I know died of bowel cancer recently < 50 years old.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Our agricultural model is built on a mechanical mindset where we assume a dumb and inert Earth. The way I see it, all problems in the world stem from our self importance as a species and our inability to see we are just as much part of the Earth as any other part. When we hurt the Earth, we hurt ourselves.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I figured today would be our turn. A large out of control fire 1 km NE of me, with savage wind from the NE ..... might be time to get the gutters filled.

EDIT. It's East and wind is now NW, so it shouldn't bite me.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah shit could get real very quickly this week, was always a matter of when it would catch fire to the west this summer.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My son took some similar ones about an hour ago, looks like it's got worse. I'll be flying over it in a couple of hours from Melb.