Fireeye Firesky Frame Strip/Paint refurb

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Started on the sand blasting...only to find that our air compressor has decided it is done with life or whatever....So a 2 hour job took 6..... We did set up the GoPro to capture the process this time tho. It was set at a photo every 2 sec, it stopped a couple times without us noticing hence the strange cuts at some points. Also, the sand totally killed our tripod--glad it was not in a fork.

[video=youtube;W2q0QRoO90w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2q0QRoO90w[/video]

Be sure you always take your happy drugs before starting a new project.

Safety first! And actually, biking goggles were great for this as they have a mesh filter surrounding them vs work goggles which just had holes.

We decided to remove the rim brake tabs cuz....no one really uses rim brakes anymore in the DJ world. Post sand blasting, angle grinding and a light sand papering.

This is where the brake mounts used to be.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Because there was some exposed metal from the angle grinding and the frame was cleaned, we primed it straight away. It is actually a very quick process and touch dries within minutes. Again using metal primer filler.

A couple days later I sanded back the primer. This time I've procured 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper. Started with a bit of wet sanding 400 VERY lightly, then moved onto wet 1200, 1500, and 2000. Much happier with the 1500 and 2000 vs just the 1200 of last time. The gussets on this thing are NUTS and took forever to get in all the little crevasses.

[video=youtube;xsnq_fDfRbs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsnq_fDfRbs[/video]

This past weekend was far too muggy for painting so it's been put off until the wind and weather are perfect.

If you enjoy watching time lapse videos and are also into watching a couple of monkeys work on cars...check out the "Fringle's trans operation" vids on the BadShelby channel. :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you painted indoors you'd save a lot of money on the drugs. I think it is called upcycling.

New project looks sweet. I note you have really stepped up the safety game on this one!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
What went wrong with the air compressor? Short of being run dry of oil, most failures are repairable.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Poodle- we always had the gear on for sand blasting. Just last time i was slack with the painting itself. frankly, Plasti-Dip is much nicer got a sweeter aroma to it.

Link - we're not sure what happened. it's been stripped and rebuilt a couple times already.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
The funny thing about doing a nice paint job is that instead you can just sandblast it, wipe it down and spray it straight away with rattle-cans, and 9/10 people would still rate it 9/10.
Getting 10/10 people to rate it 10/10 takes an infinitely longer time

I look forward to the results, as a fellow paint fetishist and Fireeye rider

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
How many hours of labour are we looking at here?
It really was about 6 hours of sand blasting, modding, and priming. The air compressor was taking FOREVER to fill and it really only took the original paint off when there was about 80+psi in the tank. The original paint was seriously tough...plus the factory decals only came off when it was about 100psi.

The sanding back took around 2 hours. I ended up doing a bit more later when i found some spots i wasn't happy with. Today's painting took around 3-4 hours. There's still prep for clear coat too, but clear coat should be a hour i'd guess ? After that cures, there's probly a couple hours in sanding and buffing. Since i'm not a professional, I'm sure it takes me two times longer to do everything.

The funny thing about doing a nice paint job is that instead you can just sandblast it, wipe it down and spray it straight away with rattle-cans, and 9/10 people would still rate it 9/10.
Getting 10/10 people to rate it 10/10 takes an infinitely longer time

I look forward to the results, as a fellow paint fetishist and Fireeye rider
I am in no way a pro at painting, haha. I normally spend my time painting minis! This is just for fun so it's not perfect. I reckon most kids don't even bother with the sand blast, just a light sand and rattle can. Really if people knew even 1/10th of the effort to get a nice paint job, they wouldn't complain about professional prices.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Had some good weather this week and painted the bike...

Yes, there's a million things that could be better but this is what i have to work with so yeah.

[video=youtube;wft-aVai9-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wft-aVai9-8[/video]

Photos from the day:

Was looking alright. the silver undercoat was coming thru nicely and in the sun there was a cool metallic effect.....

Until....

Some fuckwit touched it before the paint cured.......It got massive damage to about 50% of the paintwork. :frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Call me crazy, but who the hell has a spare car door lying around, and what part did it play? I couldn't tell exactly.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Call me crazy, but who the hell has a spare car door lying around, and what part did it play? I couldn't tell exactly.
Ah yeah, we thought a mate needed some of the speaker mounts in it. Got a few too many car parts around right now.. it was holding up my testing paper so i could see colours and if the spray gun was clean. :)

I've started on attempts to repair the damaged paint, but i feel from here on out it will never be better than a 5/10 :/