Fires!

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
As some of you may know, there are countless fires burning in Victoria today.

We know of 2 families that have already lost their homes. Fires are threatening Healsville, Yarra Glen, Coldstream, Beechworth, Diamond Creek, Churchhill, Noojee, Yack, and Kinglake has all but been lost.

Nothing I can do except listen to the radio. 774 ABC radio has constant updates. Anyone close to the fires?

Scary stuff, I guess no Mt Baw Baw ride tomorrow.

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
i live in NSW and my house has nearly been burnt down like 5 or 6 times, right up the back step. my dad and 18 year old cat called lassie*R.I.P fatty :p* (yes i know, thats a dogs name!) stayed and protected my house each time.
and this afternoon i can smell smoke and saw 3 fire engines hawling ass with sirons on.

the whole bush fire thing is quite scary.
best of luck to the people who have lost homes.
Alec ; )

shredder dj

Likes Dirt
Sorry for the epically big pics, resizing isn't my best talent.

The view from my backyard in Yarra Glen:

House in Gulf Rd Yarra Glen:

House up Smedley Ln Yarra Glen:

My dad helping out with his water truck: (Look at the sky behind him)

The worst is pretty much over the change has come and pushed the fires back towards Kinglake. My cousins live there and say that it is pretty much wiped off the map :(. There is a few spot fires (pretty small now) 100 meters up the road but the rain has just hit so I don't expect them to last much longer. We know a few people who have lost their houses and the fieries have confirmed a few deaths. Mother Nature can be a bitch sometimes.

Z100

Likes Bikes
I thought the fires in Endeavour Hills were a bit close for comfort last week, these fires are on a whole other level.
My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones and those who have lost homes.

framd0

Likes Dirt
i am prety close to the broadford/kilmoure fires
about 15-20 kms, but at my house you can see heeeeeeaps of smoke

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
got told most of the DH track at churchil is ash
not sure about the town/uni, i heard rumour that some building are gone

I am not far from the fires, say 20-50ks (fair safe)

We had mud rain befor, like full on mud, ill try get pics,
acid rain, its still 35deg very dry,
i got a cup of my pool water to find THREE (3) inch long peices of burnt wood,

there are fires to east + west of me and expecting north and south to be ablaze within the next 24!
it was pitch black at 5.30 and the moon looks gnarly,

so all seems great for us from moe :)

stay safe

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Long Gully is officially gone, I could see the mountains around it on fire from the front of my house. Fifty homes lost around that area, hundreds of homes lost around Healesville in the Chum Creek area. All that stands in Kinglake is the bakery, apparently everything is destroyed. Area around maroondah highway between Healesville and Coldstream has had fire, as well as between Healesville and Yarra Glen. Pictures up soon!

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All the best to all you guys on the frontlines for this... damn it is scary stuff.

Good luck.

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Long Gully is officially gone!
NOOOO

All the best to all you guys on the frontlines for this... damn it is scary stuff.
Good luck.
im not exptecting moe to get hit hard, if at all, but im expecting my mates area (moe south) to get tourched :(
so i might be helping them out tomorrow,

who knows what fires were started and how?
i have noticed alot of electrical activity outside,

i think there should be a state wide stoning on the person/s who started the fires

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
^^^ So it was arson?

Also, is the rain putting a dent in the fires at all?
well from what i no, the ones in bolara(sp) last week were arson

The rain did nothing,
i am going to go for a bit of a cruz up top of moe soon and see what i can see, i noticed ALOT of fuck heads out tonight and came home from work to see the tree on my nature stripp was broken in half

so i am not going to be suprised if these junky's start a fire in the local bush reserve,

the ones at traff' area are still bad,

and to the Yarra vally boys' i think mt baw baw will be a no go tomorrow,
as erica is on alert, my aunties house is gone and its about half way up baw baw, she had to flee,

so, moe seems to be fairly smack bang in alot of these fires
i no a few people who have lost houses,

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Yeah thats serious shit. Sorry to hear of all the deaths, hope that the estimates of more prove to be wrong.

I'm heading down today with my Brigade from Sydney, hopefully we won't be needed.

Stay safe everyone.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Just got back from a 10hr night shift at the Pomborniet fire in Western Vic..
Night shifts are the devil!

sam705

Likes Dirt
Fire at Beechworth was only 4km from town with a wind change expecting it to be blown into town last night. My mate lives out there and they were expecting for the worst on their farm so i stayed up most of the night offering my asisstance if need be. I haven't heard from him today yet to see if any damage was done. Apparently started from a downed powerline?

UPDATE: A downgrade message has been posted on the CFA site for the Beechworth fire. Estimated to be more than 20,000 hectares in size as conditions only get worse.

lawno

Likes Bikes
i just woke up... i did a ten hour shift on my support vehicle at the Redesdale bush fire from 3pm until 1am everything is just destroyed! so many houses have been lost and heaps of firefighters have been injured up here, luckily there have been no confirmed deaths on our front... we had rain last night (but we had lightning aswell:(:()

If your trying to see family members or friends in the effected areas DON'T all the trees on the side of the roads are burning and falling across the roads, call the red cross and see if they are in the reliefe centers but DON'T TRY AND SEE THEM if you can't find them at the red cross then they should be at home so try there aswell..... i have to head back out again at 12 and finnish the fucker off and i will try and post any updates when i get back