Fires!

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nooo apparently when the conductors get dirty/dusty they can arc and apparently make the wooden cross beams catch fire
That's what I meant by; "lines crossing in many ways".

But yes what you said is also true.

lawno

Likes Bikes
^^^

SHIT.... Why can't they pull me outa school for this! i'm trained but i'm not allowed to turn out on school days!!!

simmooo!

Likes Dirt
^^^

SHIT.... Why can't they pull me outa school for this! i'm trained but i'm not allowed to turn out on school days!!!
Apparently it's been downgraded now and not threatening nearby communities, as it says on the cfa website.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Red Cross is saying donations are coming along well, with 200 000 people now have given money.

That means only 1 in 100 Australians has given money to the main fund that is helping people out. I reckon at most 2 in 100 Australians have given to all funds.

Anyone who can spare anything, which realistically is most of us, should dig deep.

http://www.redcross.org.au/default.asp

|Matt|

Banned
Another update for my gigs.

I have gotten confirmation from the Dandenong council that they are giving us the Castle venue for FREE to host my show. I'm fucking over the moon at that. They normally charge I think $800 for 4 hours, without security or PA or sound guys and this show will be an 8 hour one!

30 bands confirmed (at least 2 shows will be organised, 1 at the Castle, 1 somewhere else). Awesome to see how many people are willing to play for free for a good cause.

I'll be looking for supermarket sponsorship in the next few days for bottles of water and chocolate bars or something to sell cheap at the venue as well, what do we think my luck will be with that?

I should have fliers ready soon!

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Wow Matt!

I probably can't go though. I'm having an operation on my collar bone on Tuesday and will be out of it for a few days.

:( I will Try to come though!

|Matt|

Banned
Good choice getting it operated on, I wish I had have gotten mine done.

And it is LOOKING like it will be March 21. So you will have had plenty of time to heal up!

|Matt|

Banned
Matt, got an exact date yet? I'll be there fo sho :)
Nah not yet, I should know tomorrow. The councilor will be emailing me back, so I'll check my email every 10 minutes at TAFE and then post as soon as I know! 21st of March is looking good though. I hope the headliners can do it, if not we will have to reschedule.

Lube

Likes Dirt
Ive seen some photos where the trees still have greenery on them, but the ground around them/the trunks seem burned out. What causes this? Is it because the fire front moves so fast? Or where the fires put out before they burned the whole tree down?
Fire often burns random like this, it is just the way of the beast. That explains why you will see random patches of grass, trees, or even unprotected houses spared by the flames.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Fire often burns random like this, it is just the way of the beast. That explains why you will see random patches of grass, trees, or even unprotected houses spared by the flames.
Spot on.

Letterboxes prove to be fireproof.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
stupid media, anything to make a dollar. .. :mad:

in the herald sun today, there was a picture of my cousin and his girlfriend, on the front page, then picture of them on about 3-4-5 page, cant rember, any way pretty much a half page pic, with a MASSIVE "last words were we love you"...

and a little story about their last moments, and the way they were caling all their family to say good bye, and they loved them.

my aunty said she did not want it published. (as one of their close friends told the newspaper the story) .. and the newspaper publish's the story, even through the MOTHER of the person said no.. TO THE NEWSPAPER

same as on the news, they put ap icture of them up in the "we will always rember you" display tonight, their picture was the last picture and froze there for 5-10 seconds..

channel 10 asked my aunty if they could use the pis, she said no as well....

im pretty fucking sure there is laws against that kind of thing.

it would be alright if they were doing it cause they actualy care, but 10 bucks says if i showed the producer the picture again, they wouldnt have a fucking clue who they are.

fuck the media, times like this it is a bit had to lodge any complaints as clearly there is much worse things on our minds.. but i am pretty sure once things calm down a little.. their wil be many phone calls made.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn

in the herald sun today, there was a picture of my cousin and his girlfriend, on the front page, then picture of them on about 3-4-5 page, cant rember, any way pretty much a half page pic, with a MASSIVE "last words were we love you"...

and a little story about their last moments, and the way they were caling all their family to say good bye, and they loved them.

my aunty said she did not want it published. (as one of their close friends told the newspaper the story) .. and the newspaper publish's the story, even through the MOTHER of the person said no.. TO THE NEWSPAPER

same as on the news, they put ap icture of them up in the "we will always rember you" display tonight, their picture was the last picture and froze there for 5-10 seconds..

it would be alright if they were doing it cause they actualy care, but 10 bucks says if i showed the producer the picture again, they wouldnt have a fucking clue who they are.

fuck the media, times like this it is a bit had to lodge any complaints as clearly there is much worse things on our minds.. but i am pretty sure once things calm down a little.. their wil be many phone calls made.
That is so disrespectful and typical of our media. My mates dad's friend and his wife passed away in the fire near Beechworth. He was coping alright with the news until The Age put a photo of his mate and his mates wife's bodies being carried out of the ruins of their house on stretchers. What is wrong with people. My sister was saying kids at her school are starting to elaborate on the stories of people dying in the fires and talking about the horror of it all as if they get off on it. It's absolutely disgusting that's what it is. Some people are just sick minded and have no feelings or respect. I don't know what the cause is, if it's just twisted people or if its our society and things like all the crime shows which sensationalize human suffering. Whatever it is, it makes me sick to the stomach.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt

That's completely f***ed. You or your family should report this to Media Watch and maybe the Australian Press Council as well.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sawtell that sucks. It really fucking sucks. I hate the media.

On a more positive note:

The Supercheap Auto group (comprising of Supercheap Auto, BCF(Boating Camping Fishing) and Goldcross Cycles) are donating all profits from tomorrows trade straight to the victims of the Victorian Bushfires and the flooding in Queensland. So if you need anything, tomorrow would be a great time to pop down and do your part for the relief effort!

dcrofty

Eats Squid
My mate is going to let me know of any updates from over Dederang way.
Small world. Ive just spent 5 days in Victoria as part of a RFS strike team with my brigade from Loftus in Sydney and we were based in Dederang. My relief crew are there now.

Hope your friends are OK. Seemed that things were going ok when we left this morning. When I got home I discovered that my 1st cousin's home had been threatened by the beachworth fire that I worked on.

Sorry to hear about all the other tragedies too, I missed the worst of it, must be tough for those that have lost loved ones.

For those out there working on the fires, good luck and stay safe