Fires!

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got the message and I live in Ringwood. ILY cam, hope you make it out just swell. I've got some work friends in Warrandyte that are having to evacuate out their horses and all their gear. :(

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought the latest charges were worthy of a bump.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1007010/two-teens-charged-over-bendigo-fire/?rss=yes

Almost a year after the Black Saturday bushfires devastated Victoria, two teenage boys have been charged with lighting the Bendigo blaze that killed a disabled man in his home.

One of the boys, 14, appeared in a children's court dressed in his school uniform to answer extensive charges including arson causing death.

The other boy, 15, appeared in a separate court. Both youths were bailed.

Taskforce Phoenix detectives arrested the boys about 9am (AEDT) on Tuesday in relation to the February 7 Maiden Gully fire, which police estimate caused $23.5 million damage to the area.

An angry crowd of about 10 people greeted the 14-year-old outside court on Tuesday, some yelling "show us your face" as the shrouded boy was driven away.

The boy was flanked by two detectives and a uniformed policeman and had a jumper draped over his head.

He was bundled into an unmarked car flanked by another six uniformed officers.

House-bound Long Gully man Kevin "Mick" Kane, 47, died in the fire after he was trapped inside his home.

The youths were each charged with arson causing death, deliberately lighting a bushfire, lighting a fire on total fire ban day and lighting a fire in a country area during extreme weather conditions.

They were also charged with 135 counts each of criminal damage by fire (arson) and multiple counts of use telecommunications service to menace, harass over a two-month period beginning just days before the fire.

As a result of the Maiden Gully fire in Bendigo, 354 hectares of land, 61 houses and 125 sheds and outbuildings were destroyed.

Properties destroyed included a pottery business and a home worth half a million dollars.

The Black Saturday fires killed 173 people across Victoria and destroyed more than 2000 properties.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They deserve to be locked up for a very long time, but considering they are minors it will end up being a slap on the wrist.

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Yeah didn't think of that.
There is a special place in hell for the people who get me out of bed to respond to a false alarm.
I say bring back witch hunt days and burn these kids at the stake - they like to play with fire show them consequences (ps i am only HALF joking)