Fires!

little norco boy

Likes Dirt
unfortunately they think the death toll woill still ride above 100 by a considerable amount. R.I.P those lost in the tragedy and stay strong those who have lost loved ones and homes:(

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
EIGHTY FOUR NOW
(84) (according to chan 10)

Sickening :(

I no a few people have lost it all, and some lives
its horrible

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the worst thing i seen on the news, was they were filming a reporter infront of a car, she was talking for a good 5 minutes on and off, then at the end, she says,
"the body of an elderly lady, still lies in this burnt out car, her crockery on the passenger seat, one can only imagine that it was part of her fire plan"

show some fuckin respect.

there should be a name and shame, on any one involved in arson. name addresses, work place, should all be listed. if the fire at steels creek (just out of yarra glen), which claimed my cousin's, his girlfriend, and her brothers life, as well as 4 others was deliberatly lite.. i will not kill the person who did it, but i will kidnap, and beat the shit out of them every day. for the rest of their life.
Agreed, although i do not live in victoria, my best mates dad is down there and they are worried sick about him, only hope is he is alright. I heard an arsonast is going to be jailed for life for it which was found.
Nine did a whole hour presenation telling us of people who died in this house lay here trying to escape the smoke. How would you like if somebody stood directly on top of where you were killed. Have some respect. My next door neighbour is down filming in the choppers for channel ten at the moment aswell and wehave heard back it is horrible up close.
Sawtell, You are in our prayers for your loss.
Tom.

Ricardo68

Likes Dirt
Time to lynch some arsonists ... too many people nowadays wreck lives with no concept of what they do & no fear of repercussions ... time to find these idiots and beat them to death.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Honestly, i haven't felt like this since September 11. Absolutely devastated - my thoughts are with every family who has lost property and loved ones. Can't believe it...

Little T

Likes Dirt
Condolences to you Sawtell and everyone else who has lost their home or loved ones. I'm sure it's a hard time for you all.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Condolences to you Sawtell and everyone else who has lost their home or loved ones. I'm sure it's a hard time for you all.

that is kind of why i didnt want to say anythign earlier, as much as i have a great loss, their our other people mush worse of them my self, people have lost their wifes, mums, dads, children, whole families, as well as all their belongings.

life goes on, just show's anything can happen to any one, doesnt matter who you are, good or bad, rich or poor... this minute could be your last.

they did not even know the fire was coming, they did not know they were in threat, 10 minutes later, the house is surronded by flames, their car is on fire, and they are stuck. and that is when contact was lost.

fire, like water has force that should never be under estimated.

:(

framd0

Likes Dirt
i am shiting pants atm, fire is 10-15 kms from our house and is heading in kind of our direction

framd0

Likes Dirt
but luckily i have packed my valuables and am ready to go
the list:
my bikes
bike tools
bike parts
bike magazines
bike dvd's
some clothes

LIAM?!

Banned
Was up there today and yesterday in Kinglake, absolutely horrible, flames and smoke everywere... fled to Yea where about 200-300 people where evacuated to, families with young children just trying to keep a smile on for the kids.

The fires down here (cranbourne,narre warren) were arsonists and I think no fatality's yet but bodies may still be found :(

Best of luck to everyone still up there, it took us 15 hours to get out of there back home, wish I could of been of some assistance when I was up there but unfortunately is was a first experience and I was way in over my head just keeping cool because if you worry people around you start to worry, my first fire experience was a couple years ago when I was younger and got frightened by other people being scared.

Condolences to the families.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
but luckily i have packed my valuables and am ready to go
the list:
my bikes
bike tools
bike parts
bike magazines
bike dvd's
some clothes

Love it, 'some clothes' while everything bike related is covered!;)

Shocking to be watching the news and just watch the toll climb. Anyone got info as to whom our donations are best directed to?

Condolences to you Sawtell, and all those affected.:(

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. Condolances to those who have suffered losses.
2. I first felt sadness, then had other emotions on this sad tragedy, when I think back 25 years to Ash Wednesday. Did people not learn anything from that? It seems as time has gone on, and a lack of major fires, has just meant that this disaster was simply waiting to happen. I look at the films and pics of the devastation, and think how so much more could have been saved (as has been proved in other fire disasters) by the proper clearing of land and firebreaks around farm properties etc. 'But we love the shade from the trees" is the usual response. And people with lack of insurance. Why?
I know that this holds true for some but not all. Some may be a victim of circumstance, but some fall victim to their own ignorance and stupidity. When the fire comes, its too late to worry about "Damn should have put that break in, or cleared that underbush etc" And that extends to local govts not enforcing those rules, or having a lack of them.
Think back. Ash Wednesday. Lots of recommendations. Lots of investigation into fire safety.
Did we learn?

Pete J

loves his dog
Fucking arsonists, i hope they all get caught and get everything they deserve! :mad:
To all those in the affected areas, hopefully it is of some help that people on the other side of the world are extremely concerned for you. People here know about what is happening and most can't believe what they are hearing. The sheer scale of the fires makes it all hard to fathom for people of such a small country like Finland.

tld_06

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hello to all.

First off, sincere condolences to anyone who has had any form of loss on this tragic weekend.

Secondly, this is how it was told to me by my parents as I was out of town.

Watching tv tonight has changed my outlook on what could have been. Life could have been so much worse, save for the wind shift that has saved my hometown, my family and potentially many more lives. This should not subtract to the hurt that has rocked the whole nation of the sheer horror that is still unfolding as we speak.

I moved up to Warragul, East Gippsland, Victoria in November 2007 as a 16 year old with high expectations of a fresh start and a higher prospect on life. Bushfires were always one worry in the back of my mind. Life has been bushfire free for us up untill Friday 6th of February 2009/Saturday 7th of February 2009.

Unfortunately (or luckily?) for me, I was staying with relatives in Chadstone on Friday night which meant that I had no chance to make it up to Warragul that night. Trains were cancelled as of 1pm and the Princes Freeway was also closed from Pakenham to Warragul.

The first real worry for us, was when we turned the radio onto ABC and found out about the monster fire in the outskirts of Drouin. For those of you who don't know, Drouin is about a 10-15minute drive from Warragul along the Korumburra-Warragul road.

This is when my parents gave us the call, to let us know that Warragul was on moderate alert due to the Drouin fires. These fires had moved rather quickly to Drouin, but slowed down there. Unfortunately they did destroy a few houses.

The next worry for us was the fire that started in the Bunyip State Forest. This was made scary by the powerfullness and rate the fire was moving through Gippsland.

Photo of the Bunyip fire from our house.

This was taken at 1.45pm Saturday.

We were yet to realise the severity of the situation, as the wind kicked up right about then, aiming directly for the line of our town.

While watching this fire get closer, and closer to Warragul, my little brother comes running down the street at around 4pm, "There's a fire over the top of the hill." A few hours of running around followed with only a few minutes to take a few photos.

This was the start of the Nilma/Darnum fires which were oh so worrying. The fact that these places are all within a 15-20minute drive from us was the most chilling feature.

This is the Nilma/Darnum fire taken at 6pm.

The sun was litterally engulfed by smogs of smoke by 3pm.

5/6pm- we heard that Neerim, Neerim South and Rokeby had been evacuated due to the Bunyip fire. Brandy Creek was under a thick black cloud of smoke. This is where panic started to creep in. Virtually surrounded by fires, towns being evactuated all around. Wind still blowing a gust in our direction. We could virtually feel the heat of the fire in the wind. This was also when we had our first flaming ember fly from the Nilma/Darnum fire, was a good 10 inches long.

More continued tomorrow, it's late, I'm tired,stressed and relieved.

CFA/DSE/Volunteers are all heros, without you we would be nothing.

faceplant666

Likes Dirt
Condolences to all who have lost loved one's in the fire, I was wondering if anyone could tell me could tell me how close the fired are to the Yarra Valley Cycles store they are, I have family that live quite close to there.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Worst most harrowing f'd up sht I've seen since 9/11
Sawtell and anyone else affected, what can I say. :(
Absolutely gut-wrenching watching this on TV and reading this here
I sit here very comfortable with my possesions and little family and can't even comprehend what it must be like to lose all of it in an hour or less
I just had to write something to express my sincere condolences to everybody in the fire affected areas

I think every person on this forum can best express their feelings by giving $50to the red cross to help out with the future rebuild of these towns and of people's lives

Hud

Likes Dirt
I wonder if towns like Marysville will ever rebuild? The history is gone, I imagine all the english trees are cooked and there is nothing structurely left to base a rebuilding of the town on.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's all well and good to think about and even joke about what bikes or bike related items you may grab. But I would hope that people think about what's really important in their lives and that tragedies like this put things into perspective.
Honestly I think I would leave everything at the drop of a hat as long as I have my Husband and Kids. Who cares about bikes, bike trails when you're talking about peoples lives and lively hoods. A house is just a house, it can be rebuilt, it's the people in it that make it a home. But it is somewhat harder to fathom that people who ran farms have not only lost their properties but also their means of generating income, their livelyhoods.