Fires!

shredder dj

Likes Dirt
Well we haven't had power pretty much since I first posted in this thread. Just got welcomed back to the outside world for the first time in 48 hours. We had been listening to the news on a mini iPod like radio and the extent of the Beechworth etc. fires is shocking. The situation in Yarra Glen is still to be on high alert for ember attacks from places like Chum Creek. Sad to say that Chum Creek has pretty much gone the same way as Kinglake/Marysville. My cousin and auntie opted to stay and fight in Kinglake, and it payed off. Sorry to all of the others who lost houses and loved ones. The Steels Creek situation is pretty under documentated. Most of the focus has been on Kinglake/Marysville for obvious reasons. There has been an estimated 40-50 houses lost in Steels Creek and an unconfirmed 12 deaths. Sorry to hear of your loss Sawtell alot of people have lost loved ones and the like, it's just shocking. Looking out the front now there seems to be another fire in Chum Creek which has kicked up.
I arrived at school late today because I slept in due to the fact that I had been out with Dad late last night putting out spot fires with his Water Truck. I looked at my phone and had 5 messages from people from school asking if I was okay. This really touched me that the first thing people thought about was my safety.
These current fires are the worst natural disaster to ever happen in Victoria. The latest death count was up to 135, which is just completely shocking!
Everybody stay safe and do the best to help out your communities and stay on high alert. We have a few mid-twenties days then the temp will be rising up again.

Once again stay safe.

floody

Wheel size expert
No offence taken, after all opinions are just that and can change with experience or on a whim really. I agree with you that a threat of fire is still a threat regardless of the environment you live in, it's just tragic how in this case it seemed to be a lot bigger and faster that people might have imagined. I guess all I was trying to say is that without having been through anything like that, I personally can't really imagine what those people are going through, doesn't stop the tears when I'm watching the news though. So as a result I tend not to want to go into the whole "why" or "I told you so" debates.

Yes there is talk of the towns being re-built. I have never been through anything like that and have no idea what I would do, but say that my place was to burn down, brand new house currently being built in the bush, what am I meant to do, just throw away the $400k block of land? If I was to sell up and move away then someone else would eventually build here. Australia has varied beauty some of which can be dangerous (oceans etc). Where they live is peoples choice but it is also up to them to understand the risks associated with that. In a city you're potentially not safe in many other ways, and still not necessarily safe from fire danger, even if it may not be bushfires.

Yeah fair calls there too.
If anything I just hope we learn more out of the disaster, its all that can be hoped for. These firestorm conditions seem to be becoming more common and are presenting new threats and challenges to contain.

notso

Likes Dirt
Fuck me Dirt Merchant. I saw that photo on The Age website today but it looks ridiculous blown up. Hell hath no fury...

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess it is a tad late, but I am absolutely speechless and gut wrenched. I have no idea what to say or think. This would have to be one of the most horrific things I have witnessed (Not first hand) in my life.

My sincere condolences to everyone, who has lost loved ones, and their own lives. I heard on the news yesterday that a family were trying to escape when their car was engulfed with flames, and out of the family of 5, only one daughter/sister escaped, still only being a teen. I could not imagine what is going through her mind, and yeah.... just really don't know what to say.

I may be only 16, but I guess it affects everyone in some way or another. For your sake Victorian's, I just hope the wind dies down, and some rain, or decent weather comes your way so fires can be contained.

Sincere Condolences.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a point someone raised at a mates place earlier today, would it be a good idea for the Government to direct the stimulus package (or ta least a good portion) to the rebuilding effort? The money would go straight into the economy, which would be a good thing, right?

giant rock

Likes Bikes
My husband heard last night on the radio that a couple of 15 yr olds had started one of the fires in Vic stating that it was a shit town. Someone send them to prison not a juvie centre but send them with all the other adult murderers etc and have no mercy for them. I would not even spit on them or even feed them for life.
My condolenses for the families that have lost loved ones and their homes. This is where Australia comes together and helps our own.....
For all the firefighters, you's have been such wonderfull people to dedicate yourself to help others. To me you are miracle workers..

Mainee

Likes Bikes
Hey i just heard some bad news about Danny Sheppard(Inurtia DVD) and his perents from Kinglake, can any one back this up with some truth before anything else is said?
Yes, unfortunately Danny has passed away. Last I heard his old man was still in hospital in a bad way.

My condolences to Bree and all of Danny's family. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

stoff

Likes Dirt
Did the fires hit Kinglake West as well as Kinglake? I am over in London now but was in North Wales for the last few days with basically no outside world access, and havent been able to get on to one of my mates yet. He stayed to fight the fires at Tambo Crossing a few years ago, so he traditionally isnt adverse to staying. He just moved to Kinglake West and have already heard one mate from school lost his parents at Yarra Glen so I am sure you can see I am pretty keen for any news.

Sic

Likes Dirt
Yeah Kinglake West took a hit as well as Kinglake. Theres been 4 confirmed deaths from Kinglake West and there are still people missing. Sorry, i cant imagine thats much help.

kulDoctah

Likes Bikes
Guys I'm just lost for words. All this is terrible terrible news, it's hard to even try to comprehend that.
We've been reading articles and watching pictures and news and I had tears in my eyes.
I just want you guys to know that even though we're on the other end of the world, many people here have been shaken by what's been going on in Australia these days. We send our positive thoughts your way and pray for this nightmare to be over and for the people to be strong in their misery.

Also it's great to see that people are coming together in this and are helping each other - you will get through this!
And for all the firefighters - you guys are the best and bravest men on the planet right now, I could just kiss each and every one of you!

Stay safe mates.

Ela

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
I heard on the news yesterday that a family were trying to escape when their car was engulfed with flames, and out of the family of 5, only one daughter/sister escaped, still only being a teen. I could not imagine what is going through her mind, and yeah.... just really don't know what to say.
This story is indescribable - the teen in question is a Yr 7 student so barely even a teen...my bosses daughter is a friend of hers and is struggling to cope...how does someone even begin to come grips with something like this?

My sister in law is a teacher at Whittlesea Primary - for the last couple of days she has had 7 students just from her class not come in - no one knows...one of her collegues - the RE teacher died and one is still missing. How do you carry on your normal day job... especially in this situaion, trying to help kids cope with these sorts of losses?

sam705

Likes Dirt
All that and the fact that they were killed in one of the worst possible ways- Burnt to death.

Official death toll is over 150 now i believe..

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
173, I am certain that it will reach 200 and go higher. They will still be finding bodies for the next days..

Lube

Likes Dirt
Just got back from Gippsland with my strike team, saw a car burnt out and wrapped around a tree, enough said.

This is absolutely devastating, it was hard to leave because all we wanted to do was help, but after well over 35 hours of no sleep I think it was time someone else had their turn. Will be back out later this week to help more, but words just cannot describe.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Just got back from Gippsland with my strike team, saw a car burnt out and wrapped around a tree, enough said.

This is absolutely devastating, it was hard to leave because all we wanted to do was help, but after well over 35 hours of no sleep I think it was time someone else had their turn. Will be back out later this week to help more, but words just cannot describe.

Good on you mate. Everyone thanks you
Bloody awful traumatic over the top stuff
Once the adrenaline wears off and you're back at (regular) work, please make sure you talk (or keep talking) to someone professional about all this
Horrible shit like you and others have been through
I would imagine its akin, and probably worse, than battle fatigue
Bloody hell