Fires!

LIAM?!

Banned
Me and my dad are giving 100 bucks, our cousin's house got totally destroyed, luckily they are alright.

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Even if you can't afford to give, you can do your food shopping at coles on friday knowing that all profit will go to the appeal...this is a national one so 750+ coles locations...

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here are a couple of smaps from a mates farm at Labatouche, they are very very lucky people! lost bail shed and a bit of the milking shed, but somehow only lost one calf!

Attachments

sam705

Likes Dirt
Some brilliant shots there Karnige, really shows how eery it all was.

I was reading in The Weekly Times today, a mum and dad in Kinglake was saved by their son, who rang up 18 helicopter companies until one agreed to come pick the family up. Amazing stories of survival will never stop flowing.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Ive seen some photos where the trees still have greenery on them, but the ground around them/the trunks seem burned out. What causes this? Is it because the fire front moves so fast? Or where the fires put out before they burned the whole tree down?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The ongoing crisis in Victoria has managed to at least force most people to take a step back and a bit of a reality check: There's been little in the way of political point scoring between political parties, the fear of recession has been knocked into perspective amongst most people and even Andrew Bolt has wisely held back from his usual 'There's no such thing as global warming' tirade.

Unfortunately not everybody seems to have the common respect and decency to keep their inflammatory opinions to themselves...

courtesy of: http://www.theage.com.au/national/fire-divine-retribution-says-minister-20090210-83o9.html

Fire 'divine retribution', says minister

February 11, 2009

"INCENDIARY" abortion law reforms last year that made Victoria "the baby-killing state" are responsible for the devastating bushfires, controversial Christian leader Danny Nalliah said yesterday.

"God's protection has been taken off the state, and Satan is having a go at the nation," Mr Nalliah, senior pastor of Catch the Fire Ministries, told The Age.

Mr Nalliah's Australia Day prayer rallies have been supported by former prime minister John Howard and former treasurer Peter Costello. Mr Costello delivered a televised address to Mr Nalliah's Australia Day prayer meeting last month.

Mr Costello yesterday rejected Mr Nalliah's abortion explanation for the fires as indecent. "To link the death and the suffering of bushfire victims to other political events is appalling, heartless and wrong," he said.

Catch the Fire Ministries today starts a week-long campaign of fasting and prayer to repent the abortion law reforms and other "unrighteous, ungodly, and unjust laws and practices".

BARNEY ZWARTZ
Now normally I wouldn't give evil stone age fuckwits like Nalliah the time of day but I feel that he's seriously overstepped the line and it probably wouldn't be a bad thing for this to be pointed out to the general public.

HAving said that though, I don't really want to sink to the level of fingerpointing and name calling during such a horrendous period. So I'll leave my thoughts on the subject at that.

Oh and hats off to everybody from the SES, CFA, Police, Hospital staff and anybody else who is trying to help out just now...

Arete

Likes Dirt
Just sent this through to to our good pastor:

"The expression of such reprehensible views at such a tragic time makes me wonder about your real motive behind such an "incendiary" comment. Do you actually believe that your all loving, omipotent, fast forgiving God would punish the state's politicians by burning to death hundreds of innocent men, women and children or is this simply a desperately morbid, disgusting attempt at thrusting you fundamentalist agenda to the fore?

Either way, all I can hope for is that by uttering such a disrespectful, offensive and utterly unempathetic opinion at such a sensitive time shows the general public exactly how evil and hateful the viewpoints of you and your fundamentalist ilk are. Enjoy your front row seat in hell."

Last edited:

skivi

Likes Dirt
^^^^ man your pastor kicks butt. i'd attend his mass anyday!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25038717-601,00.html
  • "One of Australia's leading bushfire experts, Rod Incoll, warned Nillumbik Shire Council in a 2003 report that it risked devastation if it went ahead with changes to planning laws proposed by green groups that restricted the removal of vegetation."

i agree that it's a dumb idea to have vegetation growing all over eaves with tall tree's in close proximity to your home but we've got to remember this is Australia, it's a pretty bloody harsh mistress and bushfires are parts of it's nature, in fact they're a necessary part of the life cycle of many of our native plants & animals. QLD'ers build their homes on stilts but flood waters still claim houses. mother nature is boss 'round here, journo's can't blame greens for the loss of life considering the circumstances. even with a good well practised fire plan activated early bad luck can still take lives.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Fires happen bro. Has it been conclusively proven that the victorian bushfires were ALL started by arsonists?

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great photo for sure. I find it a little puzzling though because I've always thought that Koalas didn't drink water (or not very much at all)
But in those circumstances where the Koala would be extremely de-hydrated and all of it's vegitation has been burnt. :)

DeBloot

Feeling old
Great photo for sure. I find it a little puzzling though because I've always thought that Koalas didn't drink water (or not very much at all)
Oh shit man
That photo just got my bottom lip quivering (again)
All the poor animals are suffering too