Fires!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
The MTB park isn't directly threatened at the moment , the fire is south east of Beechworth. I wouldn't hold much hope for Mt Stanley though. Its highly likely part of the DH track got burned last night , the rest may go today or tomorrow.

As far as I know , Yack track is safe at the moment , though there have been a few fires near there since last weekend. Anything is possible in the next few days.
My mate and her dad are currently in Dederang keeping an eye out for spot fires. She says she can't see anything from the smoke. ABC Radio just said the wind has changed with the Beechworth fire and it is heading more to the east (towards Dederang and Running Creek!!) My mates dad lost his friend and his friend's wife near Myrtleford, they chose to stay and defend their home. Very sad.

My mate is going to let me know of any updates from over Dederang way.

Spinner, yeah as far as I've heard Yack is safe. Otherwise, my mate and her dad would be back there packing up the family home to get out of there.

Mt Stanley is quite dense bush, so it doesn't look good for that area.

sam705

Likes Dirt
It's fucked to hear that bastards are actually re-lighting these fires..
If they are caught they should be burnt at the stake!

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
"Sixty-five people are confirmed dead in Victoria's bushfires, surpassing the state's toll in the 1983 Ash Wednesday blazes."

according to the age.

still yet to hear from my cousin and his long time girlfriend, from out kinglake way.. can only hope for the best.

but from what was passed on to my aunty before she lost contact with him, the odd's are slim. :(

Lube

Likes Dirt
Keep your head up sawtell.

|Matt| Great idea about the benefit. Get it cranking for the community!

lawno, I'm heading up in a strike team from Bass Coast overnight sometime, don't know where to, but if I keep an eye out for your helmet, keep an eye out for one with 'Donahue' on the back, lost yesterday.(Not mine!)

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
as much as i hate the media response to situations like this, but channel 7, is realy convering it well right now on the news.

it is horible to see towns such as marysville and narbythong, completly destroyed, only a few buildings still standing.

wombat

Lives in a hole
as much as i hate the media response to situations like this, but channel 7, is realy convering it well right now on the news.

it is horible to see towns such as marysville and narbythong, completly destroyed, only a few buildings still standing.
Yeah? Channel 9 was pretty disgusting:
'And here's a house where a family to burnt to death last night, and here's a neighbour who's clearly so distressed that she doesn't really want to talk about it'.

And for all their bullshit about highlighting carnage and the death toll, in the 15 min. I bothered watching it, there was no real info on the current situation.

Channel 10's newsbreak this morning was the worst though. All it was was a list of town names with the death toll for the town, and giant text saying "DEAD", all running at the screen in succession, and similarly, with zero content regarding current danger spots.

Sensationalist fuckwits.

nizai

Likes Dirt
I hope everyones thoughts are with those folks fighting the fires and those who have lost everything, 65 lost their lives as well.

Sad day indeed.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very sobering sight tonight, just walked past the local community centre which is emergency accommodation. Walking along with my little boy in his stroller seeing people filing in with pillows and blankets who potentially have lost their homes & maybe even loved ones was a bit confronting.

The scale of this is huge, I can barely comprehend it. We're 20kms from the nearest fire so not really close, yet the spillover of displaced persons has reached us, makes me realise just how many people have been displaced.

|Matt|

Banned
|Matt| Great idea about the benefit. Get it cranking for the community
Thanks. Our myspace page has been overflowing with people and bands willing to help out. We just need a venue and its pretty much set. State of East London and I Explode Like are among the fairly large local bands to offer to play, we're working on getting The Rose Line and A Fallen Theory!

I hope we can get this going, even if we only raise a little bit, at least its a start.

sam705

Likes Dirt
Sawtell has it covered, am currently watching it at the moment. So disappointing to see the devastation this has caused.

Current deaths equal 66 but expect to exceed 100.

Keep your chin up Sawtell, were all hoping for the best.

new guy

Likes Dirt
Just like to give my sympathy for the farkiners who have lost or know someone who has lost family or friends in this tradic event.....

R.I.P

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Holy shit!

In WA we are a little separated from Australia (seriously), but I've just watched the news and god damn that's awful.

Hopes and sympathies go out to everyone at risk, lost their lives, or lost loved ones. Truly a national disaster.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
at my house. In three bridges, 5.5km north west of poweltown
Thought so, been a regular trip through there in the last few years. The grandparents house in powelltown just got handed over the other week.

Didnt like the whole Channel 9 "5 people died in this house lets have a look."