Fires

wombat

Lives in a hole
sxereturn said:
Tieing guys to trees and blasting them with the firehose's...that shit breaks ribs.
Mmmm, one of our branches will empty the 3000L tank in about 5 minutes, it'll lift a lone operator off the ground.

Rik: to a certain extent I understand what you mean, people that leave piles of rubbish around their homes are asking for trouble, but I'd love to know what you mean by preventative measures.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Oooh, in theory it's great, in practice you start to trip over some big legal stumbling blocks, trust me. Our house is built on top of a mountain and behind our house is a heavily forested slope and there's nothing we can do about a firebreak behind the property, authorities won't let us. Luckily we have enough room on our land to make use of it, but a lot of people don't.

Side note: I can't remember where it was, but our suburb was named as the most dangerous bushfire suburb in the country, and possibly the world, isn't that great :?

Rik

logged out
Firebreaks should be enforeced by law, it's a bit late now, but really, all houses should be built a fair bit off bushland.
But the tree hugging fucking hippies won't let that happen. Ignorant fools. Cut some trees, or risk losing houses/lives?

mr whippy

Likes Dirt
tennis balls work! i can remember helping my dad make the house safe.ie shaving the grass til it's dirt, stuffin tennis balls in the roof gutters and then hosing. another good investment is one of those pressure hoses, the ones that literally drain a swimming pool in 10 minutes. so much fun. :D

cossack

Likes Bikes
We had our fire last summer.
So we should be safe from another bushfire for at least a coulpe of seasons.
Most, 90%, of the trees are dead and all the under growth is gone.