First car for mtb

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
The old mitsi Delica is a great unit if you've got a little mechanical know how. The diesels have a bit of a cooling system issue, but if it's kept in check they're a reliable enough car.

Can move the seats around to a multitude of Configs. One assembled bike and a bed for an overnighter, two assembled bikes and a passenger for a quick ride, 7-8 seats and a rack for shuttling.

Best bit is being able to hit up a shop on the way to or home from a ride, knowing the bike is locked up inside the van. No more stressing about some opportunistic asshole grabbing it off the back of the ute or bike rack

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
I have it on good authority that these things are absolutely unstoppable....albeit fairly basic on the comfort level though
I spent 3 months in the backwaters of Siberia 8ish years ago and I've been so in love with the vehicles that manage there.
The Uaz 452 would be great to own and I kind of fell in love...

P8102159.jpg

But the ural 4620 would be very impressive. I'm not sure if there are rivers in this country that this thing couldn't ford

P6280847.jpg

P7141472.jpg

Thos photo was a reunion with some guys that I met 3 weeks earlier. Their 4wd was destroyed on a track so they hired a Ural driver to bring their stuff a few towns away. This was all the stuff in the back of the Ural after it was ferried across a river due to a bridge having been burnt and a muddy river bed making the driver hesitant to ford.

P7151551.jpg

This was a few hours earlier when the last thing still in the Ural was a set of tank tracks; because they have civilian tanks there... I had suggested using a pulley rigged to the bridge the to lift them out of the 2m high tray. My dodgy Russian was misunderstood and was understood to be tie the things to the bridge and drive off which they proceeded to do to my horror.

P7151535.jpg

A civilian tank... they are quicker than you would think but noisy!
P8222375.jpg

Feel free to use any of the above vehicles for your first mtb transport

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Fuck I hate those things..
I see them around being driven by one person; who I assume is a climate change denier and doesn't give a shit that it takes up far too much space in car parks, the road and is generally fugly af.
Seconded. Absolute heaps of shit. How they're selling so well here is one of those things that shouldn't surprise me but does. Profit margins must be insane.
That story is "holy shit!".

We need more please - seperate thread, how, why, when...wow!
Also seconded. The affection for crappy Soviet vehicles is strong.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can I admit I used to have a Lada Niva , actually between my dad and me we had 3 !
And Russian 4wd -ing makes ‘Aussies goin 4wd ‘ look soft .

A land of extremes , from boiling to hot to frozen solid - I’m sure there is bits inbetween .

My Lada , was basic , but strong , like Bull .

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I too once owned a Niva. It was hilarious. Ended up swapping it and a Series 3 Land Rover cab chassis with an inappropriate engine swap for a Series 3 Land Rover Stage 1 with an inappropriate engine build. The Stage 1 was supposed to have the driveline of a Range Rover and the brakes of a Series 3 but the previous owner had seen fit to stroke the V8 out to 4.4 litres and do wonderful things to the exhaust system. It was straightforward to get the speedo to go around 1.5 times...at which point the bolted in door tops used to flap...it was such a mad car...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
You know people in the Russian Military Police? Figured as much...
I have an uncle that worked in Mongolia for many years, lots of stories of russian vehicle antics
he used to travel in one of these from down town Ulan Bator to Erdenet for work, 300km would take around 8 to 10 hours by road!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Or just get one of these... No idea what it is but the Norwegian flag on the back and the 64 jerry cans strapped to it made it look like its been places.
Made my little van feel a bit insignificant.

Attachments

LPG

likes thicc birds
That story is "holy shit!".

We need more please - seperate thread, how, why, when...wow!
Also seconded. The affection for crappy Soviet vehicles is strong.
Sounds like I need to get some stories up! Won't be until later in the week I'd say. Basically it was a bike tour off the beaten path in Siberia. It is a very interesting place!