First!!!!OMGWTFROFLMAOBBQ!!!SHIFTONE!!!!!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The art forums I used to use have died off due to instagram and flickr forces you to get a yahoo account to use it.

Flickr can go fuck itself, great job on killing off your own website. And there's now way I'll sign up to instagram, why would I want to look at pictures of art that are the size of a smart phone on my 15 inch computer screen? Lots of internet forums are dying off, thankfully this one is still going strong.

I think FB, Twitter, Instagram and the whole suit of other social media thangs has made the forums obsolete for people who don't have a real interest in the subject matter of the forum.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The art forums I used to use have died off due to instagram and flickr forces you to get a yahoo account to use it.

Flickr can go fuck itself, great job on killing off your own website. And there's now way I'll sign up to instagram, why would I want to look at pictures of art that are the size of a smart phone on my 15 inch computer screen? Lots of internet forums are dying off, thankfully this one is still going strong.

I think FB, Twitter, Instagram and the whole suit of other social media thangs has made the forums obsolete for people who don't have a real interest in the subject matter of the forum.
Yeah...art. Man on fish hooks 4 was art maybe, but man on fish hooks 1-3 and 6-9 were just shyte.

YOUSE CUNTS ARE DOING IT WRONG!!!!

small letters
So much yellings...but it would still get a like for using one of my favorite plurals.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another thing that's faded in to obscurity is L337 5p34|<. Years ago cats would get banned from this place for posting like they were text messaging or sending code for idiots. No one does that at all now and I don't think that has anything to do with us being nazis about it. I wonder if that's more to do with auto correct or something like that.

Interesting how things that were part of the landscape at one point in time can be completely forgotten in a few short years.
Might be showing my forum age here...

But does anyone remember when hubbie made a thread about hitting 1337 posts and then only posted on the off topic section for a while (when OT posts didn't count to post count).. Eventually earning himself the "forever 1337" custom title.

Just realised.. In a few years I will have been on this forum for half my life... Joined when I was 13, 21 now.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Is forum culture dying? Will it be killed by the facebook group?

It would be interesting to see the data on the average age of new users registering here. My guess is that it's trending upwards. Any admin want to chime in?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Don't think you could even rely on the data that we get from sign ups.

I don't think forum culture is dying because they are still hugely useful for researching, connecting, selling/buying, etc. for enthusiasts of whatever pursuit. I'm sure go-kart racing, horse riding, patchwork quilting, rock climbing, model collecting, antiquing and whatever else have stong forum usage as we do. I just don't see them attracting the new members they used to and I also think, as is mentioned above, that the average age is trending upward as well.

We don't have the serial pests like Rooks, Kenneth and other forum members past. We also don't have people signing up to post abuse and so one. Lots of that shit has moved on to FB/Twitter/Youtube, etc. Forums like this now seem to be frequented more so by genuinely interested parties. The art forums have changed though, with the change in technology, largely because of cameras, I Think. but the intrinsic value we get out of this place is the same regardless of what platform we use and it's text based. That means new technology doesn't have a great impact on this level of forum use.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't think you could even rely on the data that we get from sign ups.

I don't think forum culture is dying because they are still hugely useful for researching, connecting, selling/buying, etc. for enthusiasts of whatever pursuit. I'm sure go-kart racing, horse riding, patchwork quilting, rock climbing, model collecting, antiquing and whatever else have stong forum usage as we do. I just don't see them attracting the new members they used to and I also think, as is mentioned above, that the average age is trending upward as well.

We don't have the serial pests like Rooks, Kenneth and other forum members past. We also don't have people signing up to post abuse and so one. Lots of that shit has moved on to FB/Twitter/Youtube, etc. Forums like this now seem to be frequented more so by genuinely interested parties. The art forums have changed though, with the change in technology, largely because of cameras, I Think. but the intrinsic value we get out of this place is the same regardless of what platform we use and it's text based. That means new technology doesn't have a great impact on this level of forum use.
I think it depends on the subject of the forum mainly. Here at RB, bikes aren't likely to go away anytime soon and because they're constantly bringing new gear out, this place will always be a hub of questions and shit slinging about people putting new parts on backwards.

Other more specific forums I think, are finding it a challenge with the advent of Facebook etc.

You can never have too much of a deep conversation with FB though, when it's press enter to post and tagging and hash tagging etc.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Remember looking at the forum back when I was in high school, before I actually made an account. Sooooooo much more DJ/Street stuff back then, now it's mainly taken over by trail/AM stuff.....

One sub-forum that has completely died is the phat snaps section. Fark, looking back through that section, some interesting stuff!

Also this quote from this thread http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?100259-Am-I-asking-for-too-much-Forks-and-Hubs

Pikes and Pro2s
Not much has changed in 7 years!