First ride on a dually - wow

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Heh, I like it because you don’t have to faf around bleeding brakes because internal routing on every bloody bike now. Pain in the ass!
That is very true and a big plus on the flip side.

Maybe colour keyed cable housing that matches the frame colour would appease the moaning interior decorator in me.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can certainly see the appeal of bikes like the Turner, Intense, Pivot 429, and other 'boutique' brands, but the price is a lot to swallow. It seems that they have that have been leading the evolution of MTB geometry to where it is now, while the bigger players are a couple of years behind and to some extent cash in on the work of those at the bleeding edge.

The only thing about the cable rooting on the Turner that really bothers me is what looks like the use of the RD cable as chainstay protection :eek:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Don’t forget niner.

They had the first long travel bike, the RDO.

Was a good thread hijack.

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You guys are smoking crack. Yeti's and Niners have had cracking, bearing, slider, whatever issues for years.

There's a very good reason you don't see many older Yeti's or Niners around. Especially a 303, I would have broken one of those on purpose if I had to maintain that stupid slide.

The high end Trek stuff is good, and lasts. There are heaps of old OCLV carbon frames still going strong.

Specialized is made by douchebags for douchebags. Nuff said.

If you can't shell out the coin for a fancy boutique bike there's a lot to be said for Commencal and the direct sellers like YT and Canyon.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

No, its not you buy one nicolai, it’s you start slingin “pleb” around like its goin out of fashion ya fuckin small town hick hahahaha

Reactions: Zaf

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Bought my Yeti frames on closeout sales.
Bought my Honzo Ti on closeout sales.
Bought my Slash second hand.
Stumpy S-Works was an ex-demo 2014 that then got a warranty on it when the seat tube cracked.
Honzo ST was bought frame only out of the US in a sale.

LOL. And the parts you built them up with! Do you have 5 bikes in the shed?

Ultra Lord

Haha, oh yeah! Fun word though, kind of hard to stop once you start. It's not something you'll understand until you own a Nicolai. :D
I’ve owned multiple ktm’s, imo the equivalent in the dirtbike worls.

Nothin feels better than knowing little old austrian grandma’s hand built the wheels on your dirtbike.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Boutique...it's kind of lost meaning since a lot of these companies shifted the manufacture to chinaiwan. Most of the price was associated with being hand made by a master craftsman...

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Currently:
- Nicolai Ion G15 GPI
- Trek Slash 9.9 RSL
- Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works
-? Honzo Ti (is off being warrantied, but still technically mine, but in parts)

I don't think I missed any.
Just so greedy! :cool:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Not everyone can keep their bikes in such mint condition as yours; some of us actually build and ride ours. ;)
I look forward to stories of broken gearboxes and reminding you Mike Levy style that derailleurs work pretty well.

Don't worry the SAM is earning its keep. The monstercross and wifes Pivot are also heading out for a family jaunt tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Boutique...it's kind of lost meaning since a lot of these companies shifted the manufacture to chinaiwan. Most of the price was associated with being hand made by a master craftsman...
there are some very good welders in Taiwan. I worked with some that came to AUS. They were here for two months than flew back home because they were on comparatively better wages in Taiwan than what they were earning in Sydney.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm not questioning any of their skills, if you do something enough times you eventually get the hang of it. Or so I keep telling myself...more the use of machines to do the work and also that the huge drop on wages + business infrastructure wasn't reflected in the product price...