First Ride

Likes Bikes
Well, after riding roadies for many years, I took my first MTB for a spin today. Picked up a 2nd hand Trek x caliber 9 off Gumtree the other day and had my first ride today.
I live in Canberra so thought I’d just go for a local jaunt from my place in Kingston up Red Hill for my first test.
First impressions - it’s like driving a truck compared to my road bike. So much flex in the tyres even with the forks locked. Reached the Red Hill trail after a couple of k’s in the tarmac getting used to the feel of the bike and working out how the gears and brakes work. Even though it’s not fast, I enjoyed grinding it out on the road.
One I was on the dirt, it was all new....getting used to how the bike felt on other-than-asphalt.
I loved how I could just plough through the terrain with ease!
After a couple of k’s on The circumferential track at the base of Red Hill, found a track that took me up to the summit. Well, bugger me, that was an effort and a half in the granny gear. Such a new experience spinning up the loose packed dirt trail.
Down the other side, I was quite tentative as the surface was very loose and sandy and really quite steep. I want to get much faster and jump like the guys on you tube. Maybe get a few more k’s under my belt....
Only had travelled about 15kms at this point so did a half lap around the lake and ended up doing a 2hr ride.
So, not bad for my first outing. Learned a lot and looking forward to having a run at Stromlo tomorrow. My poor roadie might be neglected for a while.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welcome... And kiss goodbye to any spare $$$ you may have had.

First the hardtail, then when you're ready for it, a decent FS bike and "your journey to the dark side will be complete.."

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the welcome all.

Went to Stromlo today and I have a lot to learn. At least I didn’t come off the bike....close but not quite.

Slow and steady does it for a while till I get a feel for it. Although I did get both wheels off the ground down Old Duffy which was an interesting feeling.

Thinking about getting some lessons so I can learn how to not be a noob.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Welcome! The Thursday rides @Nambra mentioned have shifted mainly to Sunday 9:30 for over winter, occasionally some of the other burners make it along, and summer will see return of weekday arvos. Old Duffy is so fun, soon you'll be popping off that double black* drop off.

* it's not really double black :)

Reactions: 943