First trail wheelset advice

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can recommend Sapim Race spokes if you want a little extra strength for a 50g weight penalty over DT Comps. I’ve been running them for over a year and they’ve been faultless under my 120kg load.

PJO

in me vL comy
3x for 32 spokes results in the best spoke angles at the rim (eg nearer to perpendicular). 2x for 28h rims but NEVER go 28 if you can do 32.
Reckon at the weight Johnny says he is he should probably go 36 if he can, only problem is that it is harder to get rims in that drilling because fashion. 28 would be asking for real trouble.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reckon at the weight Johnny says he is he should probably go 36 if he can, only problem is that it is harder to get rims in that drilling because fashion. 28 would be asking for real trouble.
I don’t think that’s necessary. I weigh about the same and never had an issue with 32 spoke wheels.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hey @ozzybmx have you heard of GTL-Bike
No, but that means nothing, there are carbon manufacturers popping up daily.

That's the cost for two rims btw. DT Swiss EX511 is $150US a rim so it's not far off.
DT511's are €68 or $107au each from HiBike Germany, stock next week in 32h.

HiBike charge a bulky premium so €40 for postage.

Offset this by buying your spokes there. You will get 64 x DT Comps for about $60-70au and the DT511s come with squorx nipples and washers.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
No, but that means nothing, there are carbon manufacturers popping up daily.

DT511's are €68 or $107au each from HiBike Germany, stock next week in 32h.

HiBike charge a bulky premium so €40 for postage.

Offset this by buying your spokes there. You will get 64 x DT Comps for about $60-70au and the DT511s come with squorx nipples and washers.

Ah ok, I was just going by Jensen USA.

Maybe I should ask nicely if you can build my wheelset (if I eventually save enough)?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ah ok, I was just going by Jensen USA.

Maybe I should ask nicely if you can build my wheelset (if I eventually save enough)?
I hate building wheels... its a chore to build my own but I do it so I know exactly how they were built, tensioned and any things that were not 100% pleasing eg... spokes could have been 1-2mm longer (3-4mm and I would order new ones)

I'll box up my wheel building gear and send it to you... every MTBer should know how to build his own wheels :p

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I hate building wheels... its a chore to build my own but I do it so I know exactly how they were built, tensioned and any things that were not 100% pleasing eg... spokes could have been 1-2mm longer (3-4mm and I would order new ones)

I'll box up my wheel building gear and send it to you... every MTBer should know how to build his own wheels :p
Waaaaa, well I'll let you know if/when I do decide to build some! I have to learn how to true the bloody things first..