First trail wheelset advice

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I got a DT Swiss 'spokey' free with a set of EX1750 26" wheels back in 2009, it's built and trued every set of wheels I have done since then.

View attachment 382614
the Hunt spoke key that come with my wheels looks the same (but black) and is the one I always reach for. Something about the design works really well. I've built about 6 wheels and trued/tensioned a whole bunch with it in just a couple of years. Love it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Definitely go longer, I usually round up to the nearest 2mm. It's always better to be a little long than short, so that the spoke supports the nipple head properly. You can also correct with extra shims if necessary.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
For anyone else confronting the same issue, this ^^^ was the right answer.

Workshop called today and said that the 290s were too short. Now I'm paying them $3 per spoke to build my wheel with DT Swiss comp spokes. Who wants to buy a bunch of Pillar spokes and brass nipples?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

PJO

in me vL comy
FYI for anyone buying nipples, apparently these won't go with DT Swiss rims as DT use a different shaped head.

PS - not meant as a crack at the bloke that suggested I get them.
I don't mind owning it @johnny.
But would like to know why not?
I have just built 3 sets of wheels with these nipples in DtSwiss rims...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't mind owning it @johnny.
But would like to know why not?
I have just built 3 sets of wheels with these nipples in DtSwiss rims...
Glad you responded with your experiences, and I probably should have worded my post differently as I'm only going off what the bloke in the bike shop told me. In saying that, he has a great reputation in CBR - they're one of the new gen of shops that focus on service rather than sales.

They told me that DT Swiss rims use a particular head shape and those nips weren't them. Clearly, your mileage varies though.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
For anyone else confronting the same issue, this ^^^ was the right answer.

Workshop called today and said that the 290s were too short. Now I'm paying them $3 per spoke to build my wheel with DT Swiss comp spokes. Who wants to buy a bunch of Pillar spokes and brass nipples?
Yep it's a trap for new players. I've felt that pain

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
@The Duckmeister or @Rusty_68? You’re my go-to wheel guys. Heard this?
Never heard this one. I've used heaps of Pillar nipples on DT wheel builds. Never had one come back yet?
Obviously if the spoke and rim are DT specific to the Squorx nipple, then we are talking something different, but a standard nipple from Pillar will fit a standard rim from DT in my experience.
Oh...and NEVER.....EVER....use alloy nipples. They might as well be made of chalk.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Alternatively...just get your LBS to order you one of these....All your spoke length worries wiil be over. Phil Wood only sells to dealers and he never has them in stock, which isnt much help, but this is the Mother of all "unobtanium" workshop tools...