First trail wheelset advice

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Quicklinks? I've got some I've many times over numerous chains, removed and refitted regularly. Admittedly, I use the SRAM branded ones less these days, as they're more of a PITA to remove without the tool than some, but still using a couple,
There's one brand I've used....maybe YBN(?) that do tend to more single use. Pin prone to popping out after a couple of uses.
My mileage does not vary.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Out of interest, have you ever had any dealings with the guys at Monkey Wrench in Hackett?
I haven't but they are supposed to be quite good.

The only thing I have ever had a bike store do for me was to build one set of mtb wheels. I tried to get a second set built (a bit over 20 years ago) and after about a month of no-action I went back in and retrieved all my parts and started building my own wheels. Have built about 50 sets for myself, friends and family since that time.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What sort of tolerance should I be aiming for in trueing disc wheels (horizontal and vertical)? I feel like I might still be stuck in the rim brake times and worrying too much about it.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
+/-0.5mm lateral and roundness is fine for a disc wheel. What you should aim for is the most consistent and even spoke tension on the spokes on each side (obviously can't compare drive side to non-drive side as the bracing angle/dish means that they will always be very different tensions). More even spoke tension always trumps runout.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
+/-0.5mm lateral and roundness is fine for a disc wheel. What you should aim for is the most consistent and even spoke tension on the spokes on each side (obviously can't compare drive side to non-drive side as the bracing angle/dish means that they will always be very different tensions). More even spoke tension always trumps runout.
Thanks. That’s about what I’m looking at; good to know I’m not being too pedantic.

PJO

in me vL comy
Thanks. That’s about what I’m looking at; good to know I’m not being too pedantic.
Some rims can bulge a bit at the join laterally so try from either side, one might be better than the other.

Same goes with radial trueness, sleeved rims tend to have a slight flat spot or sometimes a bulge at the join so it can be hard to get it closer than 1mm deflection at that spot, but the rest of the way round the rim you should be able to get it within 0.5mm or less.

I've found welded rims to be a little better but can still have small deviations around the join.
Don't worry too much about it.

As @SummitFever said, try to get spokes as even as you can.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Going back to an earlier suggestion, I am looking at a new DT Swiss EX1700 (27.5, microspline) wheelset.
Looks like they are Au$840 landed from Bike24.

The bike is a Marin HT. I am 85kg, old, unskilled and rough.

The EX511 rims and 350 36t hubs look good. Probably overbuilt for what I will be doing with it.
While 32 spokes is obviously stronger I am wondering about 28 spokes on this set ?
Are the spokes an issue or should I just bite the bullet ?

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
While 32 spokes is obviously stronger I am wondering about 28 spokes on this set ?
Are the spokes an issue or should I just bit the bullet ?
If you're actually rough on your kit, I say go 32 spoke.
I had the m1900s at one point, and I'm about 85kg as well. Dt make good wheels, but I found the 28 spoke was more flexy than my current 32s. Needed more truing attention.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Going back to an earlier suggestion, I am looking at a new DT Swiss EX1700 (27.5, microspline) wheelset.
Looks like they are Au$840 landed from Bike24.

The bike is a Marin HT. I am 85kg, old, unskilled and rough.

The EX511 rims and 350 36t hubs look good. Probably overbuilt for what I will be doing with it.
Are the spokes an issue or should I just bit the bullet ?
Bite the bullet, DT built a solid wheel. 28s will be fine.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
And this is where I get confused;
a lot of recommendations for Hunt Trail wheelsets (28 spoke F/R) and Hunt Enduro sets (F28/R32).

Do Hunt know something that DT Swiss don't or is 28 spoke just what you find in a $7-800 wheelset.
I understand less strong, more maintenance, less life.

Would I get 3-5 years reasonable peformance out of a 28h wheelset ?

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Its more the built up cost, I guess I need to add $300 for a 'custom' build.
Still looking at;
350 36t
EX511
32 spoke
Brass nipples seem to be recommended

Off to Google Sydney based wheel builders (preferably without a 6 month wait).

Too many things going on to develop a wheel building skillset.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
a lot of recommendations for Hunt Trail wheelsets (28 spoke F/R) and Hunt Enduro sets (F28/R32).

Do Hunt know something that DT Swiss don't or is 28 spoke just what you find in a $7-800 wheelset.

Personally, I would expect equivalent or better reliability out of a DT prebuilt 28H than a 32H set using the same components but built by me (or @moorey ).

If I was building a set I'd go for 32H as the weight difference is negligible.

In my opinion your decision on the EX1700 vs a 32H equivalent custom build should be based upon whether you're happy with the straight pull hubs on the EX1700 as these hubs will be less desirable to reuse / rebuild with different rims in the future.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.

Hunt are just catalogue wheels from Kinlin and novatec with branding. Get the dt Swiss.
Or buy a novatec set with kinlin rims that are 50% cheaper.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
FYI

Just built these for #2 son.

Postage was 40euro so $60, total price ~$610.

Just a bit of info for anyone looking to build a sturdy set of wheels.

R2 Bike, prices in Au$

2 x EX511 - $211
1 x rear DT 350 DBCL Boost - $202
1 x front DT350 DBCL Boost - $78
64 x Black Sapim Race 2/1.8/2 (same as DT Comps) - $70

$550 without postage.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Its more the built up cost, I guess I need to add $300 for a 'custom' build.
Still looking at;
350 36t
EX511
32 spoke
Brass nipples seem to be recommended

Off to Google Sydney based wheel builders (preferably without a 6 month wait).

Too many things going on to develop a wheel building skillset.
If you get the right parts (always round up by 2mm on the spokes), I'll build for beer.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk