First trail wheelset advice

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'm close to 100kgs and as I no longer ride XC I can handle the weight. Would I notice it if they were lighter? Sure, but I just want to ride and not worry about breaking stuff.
For sure, but a 720g rim is crazy heavy, and just making it heavier doesn't make it stronger. I chose XM481 as the comparison because it's benchmark trail/enduro rim that is widely used, popular, and performs well under a range of uses. Stepping up from there and 29" Stans Flow is 530g, EX511 is 570g and even an FR560 is only 635g in comparison.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For sure, but a 720g rim is crazy heavy, and just making it heavier doesn't make it stronger. I chose XM481 as the comparison because it's benchmark trail/enduro rim that is widely used, popular, and performs well under a range of uses. Stepping up from there and 29" Stans Flow is 530g, EX511 is 570g and even an FR560 is only 635g in comparison.
Seems the combination of Hope Pro 4 with the DT XM481 would be nice, reliable and light if a touch more expensive. I might have to give them a try on a build, by then the cost would approach carbon Hunts though... Decisions decisions.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fortus 30: 29” - 720g

That's rim weight. Jesus christ, that's not just "a little extra". 32h XM481 is 200g lighter.
Yep, I didn't realize they're actually a DH rim! Figured they were just the middle bother of the 25mm and 35mm. But they have extra bracing in them hence the higher weight.
I only need 27.5, so wont be the end of the world. But keeping options open for something lighter.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I only need 27.5, so wont be the end of the world.
Your user name is deceptive, I had always just assumed you were on a Trance 29 :D

It's a lot of wheel for the Trance, have you had rim issues on your current set up or is it just the broken axle that's making you look for a new wheel?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Thanks for the heads up on those rims. I'm still saving (about half way to my target) so not in a position to buy right now, I'm in the research phase of things right now!

I ideally want a lighter trail rim rather than all out enduro strength as I like to ride technical trails more than bombing downhill.

From what I've been reading, it makes more sense to spend big on the hubs and treat rims as expendable (within reason!).

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Go carbon. Not much above your budget, can get your pick of hubs and while they're a bit higher, they not much more than your budget with the current exchange rate.
Have a set of their road wheels and cannot fault them at all. Weight limit on these is 120kg.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go carbon. Not much above your budget, can get your pick of hubs and while they're a bit higher, they not much more than your budget with the current exchange rate.
Have a set of their road wheels and cannot fault them at all. Weight limit on these is 120kg.

View attachment 371331
I'll also add I had / have a set of their XC rims 23mm internal that I comprehensively beat and abused on my Fuel. I rode that frame and wheelset way beyond their pay grade.

The rims, built with DT championship double butted spokes were bombproof. Bontrager hubs, not so much. I cracked the drive-ring but the rims stayed arrow straight. 100% would recommend.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I wonder what they're like for servicing etc?
Well they are relatively new as well ( spank hex ) , early 2020 they were released I think

but if doing research . look up spank hex hubs , not horizon Vs , there is quite a few positive reviews going around so far ,

But most of that is related to performance for your buck

HamboCairns

View attachment 371331
The budget's creeping ever higher on each suggestion!

I think I'd prefer aluminium to be honest. I can still ride with a dented rim, not a cracked one.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt

View attachment 371331
Did you continue with the quote past step 1? The price jumps to US$850 when you add spokes in step 2. Not sure if delivery is extra but that’s not a super cheap wheel set at Aud$1100. Weight is nice though.

goobags

Likes Dirt
The budget's creeping ever higher on each suggestion!

I think I'd prefer aluminium to be honest. I can still ride with a dented rim, not a cracked one.
I pushed my budget back in the day, got carbon rims and recently smashed one at a time where the bike budget wasn’t so high and finding an identical replacement from China in a reasonable timeframe is almost impossible.

The wheel has been rebuilt with new spokes as the spoke length changed and it wasn’t a cheap exercise.

Lesson here is buy something that has readily available spares (rim included) that you can afford to replace. Have a read or ask around how many people bust rear rims and it’s easy to see that they’re almost consumable like brake pads and discs.

Hubs - Hope all the way. Bit heavy, bit agricultural but CK or P321 hubs won’t make you go noticeably faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Did you continue with the quote past step 1? The price jumps to US$850 when you add spokes in step 2. Not sure if delivery is extra but that’s not a super cheap wheel set at Aud$1100. Weight is nice though.
That screenshot is the last step before payment so yes, I did. I specced the entire wheelset. Not sure what spokes you were looking at...

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your user name is deceptive, I had always just assumed you were on a Trance 29 :D

It's a lot of wheel for the Trance, have you had rim issues on your current set up or is it just the broken axle that's making you look for a new wheel?
Haha yeah, the 29er is one of my other bikes. I have the full set!
Agree, its looking like they would be much more than I need. Really looking for a trail / enduro wheel.
Looks like I cant get anything in time for my trip this weekend anyway so will just wait and get something more appropriate :)
Liking the hunts now.

HamboCairns

Ok I got a reply from Josh at XLR8 -

Alex MD27 (27mm internal width)
High end Novatec hubs
Silver Belgian Sapim Race double butted spokes
Brass nipples
1,856g
$856

Or Spank Oozy Trail 350 rims for another $110.

Minlak

custom titis
Ok I got a reply from Josh at XLR8 -

Alex MD27 (27mm internal width)
High end Novatec hubs
Silver Belgian Sapim Race double butted spokes
Brass nipples
1,856g
$856

Or Spank Oozy Trail 350 rims for another $110.
Spank Oozy - I have them on my hardtail they are solid as